PDA

View Full Version : Resoldering Evaporators

ibby458
04-20-2006, 06:22 AM
A friend and I were discussing lead soldered evaporators. We've both heard stories that they're gonna be outlawed by 2008. I can't believe it, but stranger things have happened.

My thought is: Why not heat each joint in an evaporator, wipe off the old solder and resolder with lead free. Sure - you won't remove what's between the metal layers, but if it's covered with lead free, that ought to work as good.

I'm no tinsmith, but I've done quite a bit of soldering. If you were careful not to spring the joints open, I think it would work. Better than tossing it and buying a new one.

If this comes to pass, I expect Leader or other companies will find a way to do it and make some more money off us.

cheesegenie
04-20-2006, 07:54 AM
I tried something like that, no luck. So I brought it to a pro, no luck again.
He said the problem is that the new solder wont stick to the old unless
100% of the sugar is removed, pan would have to be disassembled and
resoldered, he said the cost of labour would be too high.This pro was
not in the maple business, only sheet metal shop.Maybe an evaporator
company would know what they are doing and could. Good luck.

maplehound
04-20-2006, 06:52 PM
I caught an old tin flue pan on fire several years ago. Melted all or most of the solder off the pans. So I took them to an Amish man here in Ohio and he toldme no problem. He eveidently shaves the end of the flues of just a little and gets new good metal. Then bends a small over lay piece around each of the flues and puts in all new solder. He later worked on a float that I had and Imust say I never seen anyone who could make solder dance (flow) the way he could. I would think It would work for any pan.
Ron

WF MASON
04-20-2006, 07:59 PM
A few years ago I had read an article that said that the maple syrup equipment manafacturers association(a group I had never heard of) was trying to have a law passed to make any maple equipment comming into vermont be certifed lead free. That fell by the wayside as I'm sure the soldered pan 'urban myth' will do the same. There are thousands of people using soldered pans , I'm sure some will hear it and update their equipment but most won't until it necessary.
I hate soldering sheetmetal, it takes skill and time. I can't imagine unsoldering a pan to resolder it. Solder generally flows where 'it' wants to. I'd have to take my chances with the lead before I'd unsolder a seam.

Fred Henderson
04-21-2006, 05:10 AM
Solder only flow where it wants to if you don't know what you are doing (no punt intended). I am not a tinsmith per say but I do know how to fab sheet metal. I would not chance a guess as to how many feet I have solder with an hand held solder copper.