PDA

View Full Version : We made a boo boo

emericksmaple
04-19-2006, 08:54 PM
We have a 4x12 with oil so when we have a big order we plug the front pan off and fill the flue pan with water and put the syrup in the front, turn the burners on bring it to a boil then refilter it and bottle it. Well we had some sap/spring water that we had left in the flue pan from season, Put some syrup in the front pan and brought it to a boil. Then we started to notice water coming out of the arch. Here the sap/spring water mixture was so thick that it didn't keep the solder cool enough from melting, and now we have a flue pan full of holes, in the front. So warning to all beware of mixture when heating.

brookledge
04-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Sorry to hear that. How bad is the flue pan? Did it really melt alot of the solder or only spots?
Good luck.
Keith

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-19-2006, 09:13 PM
post edited

markcasper
04-20-2006, 01:11 AM
I am confused as to how this happened. Spring water?? Maybe I am missing something. If your flue pan was completely covered, and it was just old sap, how could this sort of thing happen? Mark

emericksmaple
04-20-2006, 03:30 PM
We tore the syrup pan off last night and acessed the damage. 7 of the flues are leaking, good news is that we called leader and they said no problem to fix.

When old sap lays around it goes thur a ropey stage. And i guess it was at it's peak and like kevin said it cooked fast.

markcasper
04-20-2006, 11:15 PM
I have never heard of ropey sap being referred to as spring water. Mark 8)