PDA

View Full Version : Trash can roof jack?

Tucker08
01-20-2013, 08:03 AM
I have seen this mentioned on here a couple of times. What is that and how do I make it? I have agony about paying leader prices for a roof jack

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-20-2013, 08:48 AM
Do a search on here. There was one described and pictured about 3 years ago

lakeview maple
01-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Tucker08 ,I put in a new stack this year myself and I couldnt bring myself to pay the price for the roof jack,What I did was I had a used piece of metalbestos stove pipe .I scribed the peak with a template to match the pipe and cut it with my sawz all and a demolition blade.I then put the metalbestos through the roof and used a couple of pieces of short angle iron to hold it in place.I then put my stack pipe through the metalbestos which gave me a nice fire proof collar.On the roof I took a piece of galvanized sheet metal ,I got it at lowes,it was for making duct work and was 8 bucks.I scribed a circle in it and then a smaller circle in the middle and cut it out folded it around itself and metal screwed it in place to match the chimney diameter.I could take a picture if you want .It sounds complicated but it actually was pretty simple and saved me a lot of money.Where in southern VT are you Ive got a couple more pieces of pipe you could have to make one.Have a good day and hope it helps ,Al

Tucker08
01-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Thanks, al. I am in shaftsbury. I have 10 inch stove pipe. Would your design have me necking down to 8 inch? Would that be ok? am trying to visualize.

I had talked to fw Webb and they have a roof jack for 8 inch metal bestos that give he I.D. If 10 inches, but it would allow for heat transfer

lakeview maple
01-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Tucker08 Ill get the ID for the metalbestos for you today ,its 8 inch pipie ,the stack I have is 7inch thats what leader recommended for my arch ,I have a 2x6 lightening ,I needed a new base stack and ordered it from leader and they recommended either 7inch or 10inch I went with 7.If you want the metalbestos I go to rutland regularly and could meet youif it will help ,and I didnt use a roof jack the metalbestos and storm collar is what I have on mine and no leaks.Al

adk1
01-20-2013, 09:18 AM
yeah, there are a few pics of the design of it. I must say that it was a really cool jack

pierre
01-20-2013, 05:25 PM
i used the trash can method for my 10" stacks . i used the bottom of the can for templet cut the hole in the roof . make it bigger then you wont have as much sticking up what ever you need for snow level .then cut hole in bottom of can and in the lid . then push can in hole till its nice and tight you can put screws in it if you want to hold it in place. then roof tar around the outside .then put the lid on and put the stack through push down lid i put some screws in so the stack wont go up or down .calk around the stack w/high temp if its smoke stack and underneath i boxed it in with dura rock to protect the roof and trusses . i had 15 bucks in each trash can its worked perfect for three yrs. now

NH Maplemaker
01-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Tucker08, take a look at my picks in my photobucket. I did this back 2002! be leave you can see it OK .Any question PM me Jim L.

Tucker08
01-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Just wanted to thank Everyone for their help here. I am now on the right track thanks to you.