PDA

View Full Version : Bernard releaser into round bulk tank question

markcasper
01-19-2013, 03:22 PM
I am new to commercial releasers and bought a bernard mechanical rated for 5000 taps i believe. I have never seen anybody use them sitting on top of a round bulk tank. It seems they all splatter terribly and am wanting ideas how to make this work for this season. I have a 600 gallon round surge tank with a manhole at least big enough that i can fit in it.

As mentioned before, it seems i have only ever seen them sitting on top of an open topped tank where they can dribble and splatter all they want. Is there some kind of extension to put on the outfeed to extend it down into the tank?

This releaser will not be permanent for this location, but am not going to get the big area it was for tapped this spring.

spud
01-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Mark,

If the man hole is big enough for you to go in side then the releaser should work just fine on top. I have the same releaser and it does not splash much at all. When it releases it's very fast and straight down into my tank. I think it would work just fine.

Spud

wiam
01-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Could you hang a piece of over size pipe around the dump valve?

Sunday Rock Maple
01-19-2013, 08:25 PM
We bought two Bernard dual mechanicals last year, one has about 1,400 taps and the other about 1,000 and both are one the same vacuum pump at about 26". Each one is mounted on a wooden platform over an open 2' by 4' tank with a sump pump. What we found was that when they dumped the sap "fanned" out so that some of the sap would miss the tank (tanks were half under the platform on the 4' section and so some of the sap was shooting over the 2' width). We fixxed it by inserting metal flashing under the releaser and bending it over the lip of the wooden platform and then bending the wings up to catch the fanning sap and direct it into the tank. Worked OK but you're right the design is for a big tank and it'd be nice if they sold an option modification for small or openings -- perhaps they do?

markcasper
01-20-2013, 06:59 AM
Mark,

If the man hole is big enough for you to go in side then the releaser should work just fine on top. I have the same releaser and it does not splash much at all. When it releases it's very fast and straight down into my tank. I think it would work just fine.

Spud
I hope your right. The situation is that I have not got it yet, I have only seen pictures. So it dumps from the bottom? I have seen the ones leader sells and the thing was a double and man did it dribble far and wide, thats why I'm asking this question. I usually at least throw a pail of water in this tank to rinse it out every time, but with this thing sitting on the top its going to be difficult having to move it every time.

All of you have good ideas...maybe they do have something of an attachment. Without having actually seen it yet, maybe there is a way to clamp an oversize pipe on it or similar?

I was hoping and almost have to think that there is someone that has them dumping into round bulk tanks that could share their experiences.

wiam
01-20-2013, 07:16 AM
If this is a horizontal releaser like I believe is has a dump that is about 6" across right on the bottom. If you mounted it with a hole cut just oversize for the dump you could still get through the factory hole.

Different type releaser but this is how I have mine. I can remove the elbow so I can climb in the tank to scrub.

Sunday Rock Maple
01-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Wiam,

I like your disgin a lot better than the flashing that I used --- think that's what I'll do this year.

markcasper
01-20-2013, 03:52 PM
If this is a horizontal releaser like I believe is has a dump that is about 6" across right on the bottom. If you mounted it with a hole cut just oversize for the dump you could still get through the factory hole.

Different type releaser but this is how I have mine. I can remove the elbow so I can climb in the tank to scrub.

are you dumping into a round tank too? Is the flapper then attached to the bottom of your elbow?. it was a little hard to tell from the pics what is going on, nonetheless thanks for providing the pics. Yours is no doubt dumping from the side and you have an elbow to direct it 90 and straight down. being this is not going to be permanent, i can deal with going through the factory hole for this year.

wiam
01-20-2013, 05:11 PM
are you dumping into a round tank too? Is the flapper then attached to the bottom of your elbow?. it was a little hard to tell from the pics what is going on, nonetheless thanks for providing the pics. Yours is no doubt dumping from the side and you have an elbow to direct it 90 and straight down. being this is not going to be permanent, i can deal with going through the factory hole for this year.

Yes, into an 1100 gallon vertical. If you look at the second pic I have mounted a piece of stainless to the releaser. The elbow has a saw cut in it to hang on the stainless. This can be pulled right off to give me room to climb in tank to wash without moving releaser.

markcasper
01-21-2013, 06:58 AM
ok William, I understand what is going on now, I just needed it explained to me. I guess this one I am getting dumps from the bottom. You are pretty clever to come up with that idea. Does any ever run out the backside of where the elbow is hanging though? or maybe you have it slightly tilted? The one I saw at leader dealer open house was running all over the place, fine if its an open tank i guess.
So i'm guessing you have an 1100 gallon upright poly tank with a manhole? 1100 seems to be a popular gallon size for that.
Thanks for your help in explaining and the pics, it'll give me some things to think about. Mark

michiganfarmer2
01-21-2013, 07:07 AM
I have a double verticle. I had a helper build a wooden stand for it. it dumps into a rubbermaid tub. I nailed some aluminum flashing to the wooden stand under the releaser, and bent it in a way that formed sort of a funnel because the releaser dribbled a lot near the end of the dump.

markcasper
01-21-2013, 07:11 AM
I have a double verticle. I had a helper build a wooden stand for it. it dumps into a rubbermaid tub. I nailed some aluminum flashing to the wooden stand under the releaser, and bent it in a way that formed sort of a funnel because the releaser dribbled a lot near the end of the dump.

I don't know, it seems to me there should be a more clear cut factory version of what is trying to be done here. Not everyone can have these in an enclosed building. What happens when it really gets windy?? will it hit the tank?

michiganfarmer2
01-21-2013, 07:13 AM
I don't know, it seems to me there should be a more clear cut factory version of what is trying to be done here. Not everyone can have these in an enclosed building. What happens when it really gets windy?? will it hit the tank?I dont know. Mine sits in a low valley in the woods. Almost no wind gets to it. Mine is not in any enclosed anything.

wiam
01-21-2013, 12:42 PM
ok William, I understand what is going on now, I just needed it explained to me. I guess this one I am getting dumps from the bottom. You are pretty clever to come up with that idea. Does any ever run out the backside of where the elbow is hanging though? or maybe you have it slightly tilted? The one I saw at leader dealer open house was running all over the place, fine if its an open tank i guess.
So i'm guessing you have an 1100 gallon upright poly tank with a manhole? 1100 seems to be a popular gallon size for that.
Thanks for your help in explaining and the pics, it'll give me some things to think about. Mark

Correct on tank. Nothing runs out the back.

TunbridgeDave
01-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Mark, we had the same concern. We don't have a round bulk tank, but I didn't want to leave it uncovered. So I took a 15 gallon drum and cut it open lengthwise to create a catch basin for the double releaser. Then we just ran pvc pipe from the bung hole of the drum into the center (agitator) hole on the tank. The releaser is off to the side so we can open the covers to clean the tank. I even place a piece of window screen over the catch basin to catch anything that might come down the lines. I like the elbow idea too.