PDA

View Full Version : wood with wax

Red-bellied Woodpecker
01-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Has anyone used wood that has wax on it for boiling?

Red

spencer11
01-19-2013, 11:54 AM
i used some cut up pallets that had wax on them last year an had no problem

Cake O' Maple
01-20-2013, 12:11 AM
Has anyone used wood that has wax on it for boiling?

Red

I think it might work better to burn it, than to boil it.

((batting wide, innocent eyes))

Maplesedge
01-20-2013, 04:49 AM
Wax burns just fine. I get rid of old behive frames this way.

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-20-2013, 05:25 AM
Is this floor wax or bees wax? I'd hesitate if it is a chemical formula on old flooring.

Red-bellied Woodpecker
01-20-2013, 09:04 AM
This is wood from cheese crates that has a very thin layer of wax on it. I have been able to get a large amount of cut offs that are 18in long and 2-3in in width.

silveradomaple
01-20-2013, 05:24 PM
I tried some "ENVIRO-LOG"s in my woodstove this winter. They are made from ground up cardboard boxes used to pack/ship produce with.The wax is food grade so shouldn't be problem there. They burned really hot and each log lasted about 2 hours. Thinking I may try using them in my hobby sized arch. Anyone else tried them out?

happy thoughts
01-20-2013, 06:42 PM
This is wood from cheese crates that has a very thin layer of wax on it. I have been able to get a large amount of cut offs that are 18in long and 2-3in in width.

If it's on cheese, it's probably plain parrafin. I wouldn't have a problem burning that. It's like burning a candle. I recycle spent candles all the time for fire starters by coating pine cones in melted wax.

If you have other wood to burn, you might want to use the waxy wood for starting fires or when you need some extra heat. It's probably going to burn hot. But imho, burning it can't be any worse than burning fuel oil. If it might cause some sort of filmy buildup in your stack, burning hot should take care of it.

Just my 2 cents.