PDA

View Full Version : Tubing remover tool

Shelburne Farms
01-19-2013, 10:26 AM
I am trying to determine if I should get a tubing remover tool. It seems like a waste to trow away all of the fittings when repairing lines. Do these tools work well? Your thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks.
Dana

spencer11
01-19-2013, 10:51 AM
i havent used one but i heard they dont work all that great. and dont throw the fittings away, just throw them in a bucket, cause you can use them on gravity even if the barbs on the fittings are scored, you only shouldnt use them on tubing with vacuum

unc23win
01-19-2013, 02:50 PM
I didn't know anyone made such a tool. I have always just used a my tubing cutting tool to remove fittings. I use anvel prunning cutters. I cut the tubing close to the fitting the put the anvel end against where I cut it and use the blade to cut away from the fitting often you don't have to cut it all the way and you can get it off. It takes a little practice but as long as you don't cut the fitting it should be fine. Some people never reuse fittings either because of bacteria or leaks to each his own.

Homestead Maple
01-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Leader has a tool in they're catalog, it's #47710. Sells for $125. CDL sells the same for $116.76, #664963. Lapierre sells the same, catalog #TU432-000000XX for $104.25. I have used the anvil pruners and I grind a couple notches in the blade, spaced so that they are the same as the barbs. The idea is to not cut to deeply and twist the tool.

TunbridgeDave
01-21-2013, 04:09 PM
DON'T BUY IT! A good set of side cutters or a Leatherman works good if you really want to save fittings. You should be able to pinch and "tent" the tubing enough without actually cutting through it and then pull it off. But as many have stated, it's probably not worth using them if they are very old.

GeneralStark
01-21-2013, 05:15 PM
In VT, and perhaps elsewhere, it is possible to have tubing and fittings recycled. If you call Chittenden County Solid Waste District (CCSWD) they will let you know when and where to drop it off.

I have tried reusing fittings, but I'm not sure it is worth the time and energy in the end. I guess you choose your own battles, and I would rather use new fittings when I change drops every two years than try to recycle fittings. It seems to be more cost effective in regards to time and increased production.

lwlvine
01-21-2013, 05:51 PM
I tried one of those tools. They don't work that well. For me it's just easier to use new fittings

Moshers Maples
01-22-2013, 06:43 PM
I used my propane torch to soften the tubing and it pulls right off. It was very easy, I did this several times when repairing a couple of my sap ladders that use 6 way stars. I only removed the damaged tubing, no need to throw it all a way and start new and it didn't leak when I started the vacuum pump, so I guess I didn't damage the barbs either.