PDA

View Full Version : syrup pan divider direction

molineutu
01-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Does it matter if the dividers run left to right or front to back looking from the front of evaporator?

adk1
01-19-2013, 08:58 AM
not really. some evaps run both directions.

spencer11
01-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Depending if you have a flue pan or not, you would have to decide if you want a reverse flow or cross flow front pan, I'm pretty sure you can do dividers either way on both pans

maple flats
01-20-2013, 06:12 AM
Either, my first 3 evaporators had front to back, last spring, after the season, I bought a set of new pans with side to side in the syrup pan and front to back in the flue pan.

molineutu
01-20-2013, 07:34 AM
thank you. I didnt think there would be a difference but it is always good to ask. thanks again.

Mike in NY
01-23-2013, 03:19 PM
I think there is a difference. My front pan is divided into 2 sections parrelell to the flue pan. It is in the shop this week getting changed to a 3 section cross flow pan with the feed going to front of pan and draw off in the rear of pan. On our evaporator the boil in front pan is always to the rear of pan so that is where I will be drawing off from this year.

maple flats
01-23-2013, 04:51 PM
My last old evaporator had partitions front to back, but the draw off was at the back on each side, as were my 2 other ones. The new pans have same side draw off (with partitions running side to side) which means when I draw off the front valve, I will be drawing from the front section and when I draw from the rear valve I will be drawing from the rear section. This season will tell me how much difference this really makes.

Mike in NY
02-08-2013, 03:05 PM
As I said had the front pan changed into a 3 section cross flow pan. Used it last saturday and checked temps in each section. Front was about205 and simmering,2nd was about 211/212 and a slow boil. Rear section a full rolling boil about214/215 all the way across the section. this is where I put the draw off. will hold off to declare success but think this was a good change for my 2x6