PDA

View Full Version : Yewwwww!!!!!

Sugar
01-17-2013, 06:39 PM
The trees have started to thaw and we went to collect sap this evening....A few of the taps, had a pink/red goo coming out of them, with some mold. It has been very cold, so what would cause this?

We are pulling the taps tomorrow and disinfecting them, and will use somewhere else.

English River Maple
01-17-2013, 07:20 PM
A few of the taps, had a pink/red goo coming out of them, with some mold. It has been very cold, so what would cause this?

I noticed the same last year at the end of the 70degree week we had toward the end of the season in 2012. The days were so warm that it seemed to cause a reddish and black colored mold at the end of the lines before they emtied into the tank. It was nasty looking and also inside the tubing by 3-4" and outside by the same. I'm going to throw out a wild guess and say that the red is also some sort of mold. Will follow this post to see what others say....I'm curious too.

adk1
01-17-2013, 07:57 PM
How long have you been tapped and where are you located?

Sugar
01-17-2013, 09:11 PM
How long have you been tapped and where are you located?

We are in Kentucky, south of Bowling Green. This is our 3rd year of tapping. I will never, ever forget our first tap. We had no money, almost lost our home, when the judge removed my spouse from the home...In the dead of winter, I got this bright idea..."Let's tap maple trees!" We used plumping pieces, tubing, buckets with holes, but no taps...

Since us dummies decided to try this, when all the leaves had dropped, selecting maple trees was just a bit tricky. We all headed to the woods and one of my chicks drilled a hole. Another put the plumbing in...They all stared at the "make-believe-tap," and waited. One looked at me and said "How long will it take for sap to come out?" Like I knew.... I looked way up into the tree and saw one crumpled up, non-mapely looking leaf...I said "Guys...Pull the plumbing/tap, this isn't maple." One chick said, "Yes it is, that leaf is a mutant." We moved to the next tree...A real maple. As soon as the kids' hand drill barely "drilled," sap began to drip from the tree....We literally cried. The absolute thrill of that moment, we will treasure all the days of our lives. There is no amount of money, nothing anyone could give us,that will ever compare to that thrill. There is nothing anyone could do to us, that could take that thrill away. It's ours and we are now hooked on maple tapping. People around us, just roll their eyes. They never know what we are up to, although apparently we are entertaining. I guess.....

Sugar
01-17-2013, 09:14 PM
I noticed the same last year at the end of the 70degree week we had toward the end of the season in 2012. The days were so warm that it seemed to cause a reddish and black colored mold at the end of the lines before they emptied into the tank. It was nasty looking and also inside the tubing by 3-4" and outside by the same. I'm going to throw out a wild guess and say that the red is also some sort of mold. Will follow this post to see what others say....I'm curious too.

I didn't see any of this goo last year, even though we had a much warmer winter. I am curious to see what the refractomoter shows. I am wondering if the trees with this might have a higher % of sugar. We are getting ready to test each tree, so will let you know...

shane hickey
01-17-2013, 09:15 PM
Nice story sugar i sometimes wonder what people
Think of me during the season

heus
01-17-2013, 09:22 PM
Yes it is a type of mold. I get it in some of my buckets at the end of the season.

Sugar
01-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Yes it is a type of mold. I get it in some of my buckets at the end of the season.

Did you dump it or is it safe to use? I know there are so many different kinds of mold, so wasn't sure what to do about it?

Sugar
01-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Nice story sugar i sometimes wonder what people
Think of me during the season

Thanks....I've been asked if I was making moonshine...Nope! Just liquid gold!

maple flats
01-18-2013, 05:13 AM
I would not use it. Must be you had some rather warm weather since you tapped.