PDA

View Full Version : putting Y's and couplings in mainline

bison1973
01-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Just looking for tips on installing Y's and couplings in mainline. I've put up mainline up for years now but this part has never been easy. If you put the Y or insert in before you tighten the mainline it seems to "move" on you from where you really wanted it originally. If you tighten the mainline first and then cut into it to put in the fitting it is extemenly hard to put back together because of all the tension.

Just looking for a better way or tips. (I know they make those special tools for it but $250 for one is alot for little useage).

GeneralStark
01-17-2013, 03:58 PM
I have developed a few techniques for installing stainless mainline fittings without a mainline tool, but if someone in your area has one and would let you borrow it, I would suggest doing that.

If you stretch the pipe and wire tie it, you can leave a section free of wire ties about 3-4' on either side of where your fitting will be. Then, cut the pipe where you want it and install the fitting. I very carefully use a torch to heat the pipe. Then push like the dickens to get the pipe on the fitting. Trim the excess pipe
(because the fitting will make the section of pipe longer) and keep carefully heating and pushing. Then tighten hose clamps.

While the above will work, I now generally stretch and wire tie a section to where a fitting will be, install fitting, then stretch and wiretie the next section after it has been coupled with the fitting. If I need to install a fitting to add a new lateral mainline later, I use the first technique.

Jeff E
01-17-2013, 04:29 PM
I could not find a consistant way around this.
Doing wet/dry lines, adding mainlines off of the w/d line later on, it all was an absolute pain.
I bit the bullet and bought the mainline tool. It was well worth it.
With ongoing maintenance, and expansion, it will be used as long as you have tubing. If you can swing the price, buy it. If you can make one, go that.
Either way, you will be glad to have one.

unc23win
01-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Howdy I was just wondering if you use a mainline tool do you still have to take a bunch of ties off? I have always done it by hand like the General.

CharlieVT
01-18-2013, 07:50 AM
Here's a method I came up with as a newbie cutting into mainlines that were already stretched and wire-tied:
I use a ratchet strap. It serves the purpose of a mainline tool. It probably takes a bit longer than using the proper tool, but it is cheaper.
Remove wire tires from a couple of feet either side of where you plan to cut in.
Cut the mainline.
I wrap about 5 wraps of the ratchet strap around the mainline on either side if the cut.
(Note: I am using the about the cheapest, lightest duty ratchet straps available. I've purchased 'em from Walmrt and HrborFreght. Some sets have a section of strap between the ratchet and the hook that is too short. If you find a short one like the one pictured on the right, you'll need to add some strap length or use a separate length of strap.

Here's how I wrap the ratchet end. I just wrap the strap around the mainline and hook it back on itself. (Pictured is a piece of reinforced tubing rather than mainline, it just what I had handy for making the picture.)

The non-ratchet end of the strap is wrapped on the opposite side of the cut; do not wrap around the wire. The ratchet strap is then snugged up a little pulling the cut ends of the mainline closer together. I then heat mainline, insert the coupling into one side of the connection and clamp it. Then by further tightening the ratchet, I pull two ends of the mainline until the coupling is fully seated in the other section of pipe and clamp it. After clamping, the ratchet strap is unwrapped from the mainline and out from between the wire and the mainline. Replace wire ties as needed.

Here's an example of the non-ratchet end of the ratchet strap. I have these permanently installed in the woods instead of using the mainline tension grips (those chinese finger traps). It allows me to pull sags out the the mainline at anytime, and is actually no more expensive than installing a mainline tension grip.

The ratchet strap method does tend to kink the tubing a little since it is pulling on just one side of the mainline, but the further from the cut you wrap, the less the tendency to have a kink in the line at the coupling when finished.

GeneralStark
01-18-2013, 08:04 AM
Here's a method I sort of dreamed up as a newbie cutting into mainlines that were already stretched and wire-tied:
I use a ratchet strap.
Remove wire tires from a couple of feet either side of where you plan to cut in.
Cut the mainline.
I wrap about 5 wraps of the ratchet strap around the mainline on either side if the cut.
(Note: I am using the about the cheapest, lightest duty ratchet straps available. I've purchased 'em from Walmrt and HrborFreght. Some sets have a section of strap between the ratchet and the hook that is too short. If you find a short one like the one pictured on the right, you'll need to add some strap length or use a separate length of strap.

Here's how I wrap the ratchet end. Pictured is a piece of reinforced tubing rather than mainline, it just what I had handy for making the picture)

The non-ratchet end of the strap is wrapped on the opposite side of the cut; do not wrap around the wire. The ratchet strap is then snugged up a little. I then heat mainline, insert the coupling into one side of the connection and clamp it. Then by tightening the ratchet, I pull two ends of the mainline until the coupling is fully seated in the other section of pipe and clamp it. After clamping the ratchet strap is unwrapped from the mainline and out from between the wire and the mainline. Replace wire ties as needed.

Here's an example of the non-ratchet end of the ratchet strap. I have these permanently installed in the woods instead of using the mainline tension grips (those chinese finger traps). It allows me to pull sags out the the mainline at anytime, and is actually no more expensive than installing a mainline tension grip.

The ratchet strap method does tend to kink the tubing a little since it is pulling on just one side of the mainline, but the further from the cut you wrap, the less the tendency to have a kink in the line at the coupling when finished.

That's a cool idea. I do use tension grips in some places to stretch the pipe before wire tying and I use them on my "wireless" mainlines as well. They work great, but I also use what is known as a prusik knot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prusik to stretch and tension pipe. I typically use two loops of 1/4" rope so the knots are opposing each other and don't put a kink in the pipe. If I really need to stretch I use a small come along, ratchet strap, or a trucker's hitch to pull tension. I use this system like a mainline tool on occasion to do repairs.

Jeff E
01-18-2013, 08:09 AM
Nice!

That is a great work around.
I will through the warning out there to others to be very careful in heating the tubing, as I was told by Leader folks that overheating can make the tubing brittle.

Jeff E
01-18-2013, 08:25 AM
Howdy I was just wondering if you use a mainline tool do you still have to take a bunch of ties off? I have always done it by hand like the General.

usually only have to slide or remove 3 or 4 wire ties to add a T or do a repair.

farmall h
01-18-2013, 06:05 PM
CharlieVT, and to think I was the only one doing it the way you described...maybe someday I will buy the mainline tool. Mainline repair is minimal unless a tree smashes it or an elephant sized squirrel chews it or worse yet...an idiot hunter shoots it with birdshot!:mad:

maple flats
01-19-2013, 06:53 AM
I bit the bullet and got a mainline too. Wish I had sooner. I started with a 3/4'-1" tool but as I grew and needed bigger, I sold that and bought a 1.25-1.5" tool with a reducer kit to bolt inserts in to give it 3/4 and 1" capability. Bought it thru our sponsor. The old one I sold for my original purchase price from 3 yrs earlier, but I pd the shipping cost. If you are a handy welder, make your own. Using all new components I'll bet you can make one for $50-75. They are fairly simple (I don't weld).

Dave Y
01-19-2013, 07:11 AM
If you have any amount of tubing at all it wold benefit you to by a mainline tool. I would not dream of repairing mainline with out one. As for putting a Y, I would in stall it after you have your mainline streched and tied to the wire. I would the slide back the needed number of ties and then cut the Y in using the mainline tool.