PDA

View Full Version : Bigger evap or add RO

jackrock
01-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Planning for future setup with no equipment now. I can put out about 1,000 taps on my place and likely can expand to the neighbors. In terms of economics, would it be best to buy a bigger evaporator or would it be better to buy a smaller evaporator and add a RO? Thanks.

Jackrock

Brokermike
01-17-2013, 02:21 PM
Since you provided no other information. I'm going to say RO. There are guys with a 2x6 and 1500 taps with an RO

mellondome
01-17-2013, 03:10 PM
You need to provide more information. Are you starting with 1000 taps up front? when do you realistically plan to expand? How many taps can you expand to? How much time do you have a day to boil?
These would need to be answered to help you with your decision.

If you are starting out with 1000 out of the box and can add 1000+ within a couple years, then you get a bigger rig ( maybe a 3x12). If you plan to gradually grow to the 1000 taps. then maybe a 2x6 and add an r/o as you grow.
You also need to be able to boil a days worth of sap every day. If you have 300 taps and only 4 hours to boil a day.. definitely a bigger rig.

In the end, $$$$ will determine what you do. A used 3x12 is cheaper than a used 2x6 with a used r/o ( even if you make your own r/o)

adk1
01-17-2013, 03:19 PM
there is a chart to determine the evporation rate of each evaporator and using the number of taps you are thinking of expanding to you can figure the amount of sap you will get each run. Having said that, you can size what the evaporator would be needed, then can scale back down on the size of the evap using the RO/steamaway etc to see what the smallest evap you would need would be and then make a determination.

lwlvine
01-17-2013, 04:07 PM
I would recommend go with the RO and smaller evaporator. You will be better off in the long run. Less wood and less time boiling, therefore more time in the bush working on lines.

jackrock
01-17-2013, 04:23 PM
I can do 1000 taps to start. I would be starting from scratch including the sugar house. I am in VA and not convenient to most of the used equipment. I am self employed so somewhat flexible on when I can boil. Probably be couple of years at least before added trees. If the economy ever improves I can sell some land and get some cash for this project.

Since I need a building and such, I want to get my ducks in a row now. I somewhat expected folks to say get evaporator for 1000 and expand with RO.

Jackrock

wiam
01-17-2013, 08:13 PM
When I was a kid we boiled 1200 gravity and bucket taps with a 4x12. We would boil all day and into the night. We would make about 200 gallons and burn about 12 cord. Now I have a 2x6 and 250gph ro and 1000 taps on vacuum. I boil about 3hrs/day and in a normal year I make over 400 gallons and only use about 6 cord.