PDA

View Full Version : Putting out some taps today

HAHA I 1
01-17-2013, 09:10 AM
At lunch, I plan to put out about 30-35 taps along our driveway. I will hopefully be able to get the other 150 out Sunday or early next week. Excited to get started! We have a bright, sunny, 40F day today, so it should be a good start.

shane hickey
01-17-2013, 09:14 AM
Good luck report the sugar content

ericjeeper
01-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Good luck. I have already produced 50 pints. The sap should be flowing today.

ahowes
01-18-2013, 07:51 AM
It appears as though I got about 1 gallon per tap on the south slopes yesterday. I just did a quick run-around to the buckets and judged by weight. Will gather today, boil tomorrow. Should be a lot to boil for my small operation...

HAHA I 1
01-18-2013, 08:21 AM
Only got about a dozen out last night before we had to leave for soccer. Since I work at home, I am going to put out as many as I can at lunch today - goal is to hit 50 today but we will see.

gibsonman
01-18-2013, 09:38 AM
I out out a few earlier this week. Didn't get anything until yesterday. I go maybe a gallon and a half from 4 red maples. Hopefully i'll tap some more this weekend. Good luck everyone.

HAHA I 1
01-18-2013, 03:05 PM
We have a total of 40 out now. I will be doing more first thing in the morning and am picking up 50 new buckets tomorrow evening. My goal is to have all the taps out by Monday. Cold spell hits for a few days, then it starts back up by the middle of next week.

HAHA I 1
01-24-2013, 10:32 AM
Well, we are at 115 taps, all on check valves. I hope they do what they are supposed to, because we are going to hit mid-60s early next week! I hope to get another 70 tapped Sunday.

Indiana-Jones
01-24-2013, 12:52 PM
We are planning to tap in this weekend. 90 buckets and bags. Also we are trying out some tubing on a ravine, about 60 taps.
I found a 1000 gallon poly tank on Craig s List, it cleaned up nice. Adding a 300 gallon stock tank at the low end of the bush for the tubing to dump into and 1 1/2 HP 110 volt pump to push the sap up to the house.

The weather looks to be good for sapping over the next two weeks. This is a little early, but I'm afraid the the jet stream could flip, the temps jump up to 60 degrees and never look back.

I had a lot of fun building the tools and gadgets that go with installing tubing.

Good luck

gibsonman
01-24-2013, 12:52 PM
I go t15 reds tapped at home last week and had a decent run over the weekend. I made about a quart on Tuesday. We tap the sugar maples at work and we tapped 25 yesterday. I thought we might get a run tomorrow but i doubt it now. Guess we'll have to wait until Monday.

lpakiz
01-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Hey Chris! How did the tubing project turn out? Any pics of the finished job? I will look you up next time I am in Rockville.

Indiana-Jones
01-24-2013, 09:14 PM
Hi Larry, we have got a good start on tubing up one of the ravines to the south. We ran 3/4" black pipe half way and we are then reducing down to 1/2" . I cleared the way of down trees and pounded in T posts to fill in gaps in the support trees last weekend.
This weekend we are going to stretch a steel support wire, hang the mainline and learn how to do the laterals. There is a lot of drop in these ravines, so I think that it should work out OK.

Pictures next week and I hope to see you soon.

A good season to all.

ahowes
01-25-2013, 07:38 AM
I am anxious to see pics and hear how it goes also.
We got 235 gallons last weekend on 95 taps. I boiled down 215 gallons before it got dark on Sunday and quit, I'm guessing it's going to end up to be about 19 quarts after it all settles out. We're going to bottle it tonight. The other twenty gallons has spent the week humidifying the house from the top of the wood-burner. It should be ready to finish off tonight also.

Indiana-Jones
01-25-2013, 10:32 AM
I like the humidifying the house idea. Sometimes I feel bad burning all of the nice dry wood heating the house and not making syrup. This way a guy can do both.

ahowes, I missed the run last weekend, but I'm not going to miss the next!

Have a great season.