PDA

View Full Version : lapierre "brannon" single / double saddle lateral install

PerryFamily
01-16-2013, 07:44 AM
Have been using the "brannon" style saddle and have trouble getting the lateral line on the saddle.

I use both rigid lapierre and semi rigid cdl tubing.

I have tried the single hand tool. It works ok on the double, it sucks on the single.

The double handed tool works good for the single, but is super awkward to use and not cut your finger off holding the blade back.

The semi rigid is soft enough that you can mess it up at the saddle if not careful.

Tried a little heat too, but am afraid of not getting a good seal.

Anyway, what seems to work for others?

Thanks in advance

GeneralStark
01-16-2013, 07:58 AM
Yeah, that is kind of a pain but I have developed a couple of techniques for seating the lateral on the barb using a single handed tool. I only use single saddles however. One is to start with the tubing tool vertical, and then turn it about 10-15degrees from vertical so that the two "prongs" of the tubing tool diagonally seat against the flat backside of the barb. One prong tip may even seat in the wire holder. The second is to use something flat and put it against the flat face on the back side of the barb, and then use that to get leverage with the prongs of the tubing tool. I typically use the "saw" blade from my leatherman for this.

unc23win
01-16-2013, 08:26 AM
My two handed tool has a rubber band which holds the blade back. I have the Pruno. For singles I just close one side and hold that on the flat side of the saddle. Once in a while I have to do it twice to get the tubing on all the way.

spud
01-16-2013, 10:02 AM
I do it the same way unc23win does it. When your clamping the tubing I like to leave about 1/4 inch of tubing sticking out. That way I can get the tubing to slip all the way on the saddle most of the time.

Spud

PerryFamily
01-16-2013, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the responses. Seems as though I just need to span the "fork " on the one handed tool. I just wasnt sure if there was any tricks to getting it to seat all the way.

Leaving a little hanging out works good too. With the semi rigid if not carefull it will mash the end all up. I dont think it will hurt it, just looks ugly.

Sunday Rock Maple
01-16-2013, 09:00 PM
A word of caution, we did a new install last year and used a lot of double saddles. Later on during runs (with 26" of vacuum on the lines) I could stand there and watch one side running OK and the other not doing much --- while all the singles were OK. We are now adding a "T" to dead end one side and adding another single saddle --- and not buying any more doubles. I'm not sure if this is a common issue or not but it's one we had......

PerryFamily
01-16-2013, 09:08 PM
yea I wasn't crazy about going with the doubles either but had a few laterals that just worked out that way. I think max there is eight taps per double while the other few have more like 3 or 4.

This is on a gravity system.

I guess if it bothers I could change the out for singles. We are only talking about 8 saddles so maybe $25 max.

Tripping over a dollar to save a nickle.

pipeline
01-19-2013, 06:30 AM
we have been using some doubles and i have found that when 1 is running and 1 is not the one that is has a leak! unequal vacuum!! i have been putting a cap on one side and adding a new single saddle and wont buy any more doubles. my 2 cents!!