PDA

View Full Version : preheater pan

garyp
01-15-2013, 03:01 PM
Will a 16 gauge stainless steel pan(preheater pan) 30''x16'' x7'' high over my evaporator warm up my sap enough to not kill my boil, my evaporator is 10'' high

Pibster
01-16-2013, 10:46 AM
I think you'll find that 16 gauge is too thick for a good heat transfer. Look for 20-24 gauge.

garyp
01-16-2013, 03:46 PM
I thought it might be to thick , i don't have the money for a pan this year. I'm building a 275 oil tank boiler and trying to think of a cheap way to use the boiler to preheat the sap so not to kill the boil I have about 20' of 3/8 copper tubing and 20' of soild 1/2'' pipe to use some how. Would running the 3/8 copper back and fourth inside the flue (the other top half of tank behind the pan before stack pipe) and then out into my pan.And maybe a ''t'' before going in to the tank with a pipe going up higher than my feed tank to help with air lock. i realy dont know???
Any one thats made a 275 oil drum setup what or how you setup your preheater pics would help Thanks

Pibster
01-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Running the copper inside the flue may result in scorching the sap. Last year I wrapped my flue with copper tubing. It warmed the sap, but only slightly. It wasn't worth the effort. Do you have room behind your pan to place some pots full of sap? Maybe hang a few off the side of the firebox. It's a bit more work ladling the warm sap into your pan but will improve your boil.

seclark
01-17-2013, 03:47 PM
16 ga. is a bit to thick but will work but not as well as lighter ga. will.Where in NY are you,if you are close to me I have a few Ideas that I have used in the past.

garyp
01-17-2013, 06:59 PM
I'am about 40 mins south of you, I just posted my evaporator on the homemade site, any preheaters ideas or pics would be helpful thanks

seclark
01-17-2013, 09:49 PM
if I see it right you have a 6" collar for your stack.what I did was build a heavy gauge box and had the stack pipe come into the bottom of the box and the flames hit the pre heater pan which is stainless and then exhaust out the side of the heavy gauge box, that way it heated the sap to a very hot temp before going to the main pan.I hope I have explained it clearly enough.I have used other methods also but this one works best for my setup.Hope this helps some. Stan

garyp
01-17-2013, 10:18 PM
So if i flatten the spot where i have my flue going out and 90 my stack out the back i could use the flatten out spot for my preheater pan, that will work but how much will it hurt my draft going out with a 90 insted of stright up

seclark
01-18-2013, 06:29 AM
It didn't hurt my draft any but I have 8" stack.As long as you have enough length on your stack 6" may be enough,just keep the the collar as high as you can on the back.Judging by the pictures you posted you have made a great looking setup.What type of pans are you using?I would like to see you handy work some time. Stan

garyp
01-18-2013, 09:13 AM
I do'nt know the name on the pan ,(Canadian i think ) I 'll be useing 8'' pipe but might have to use the 6'' barrel coller and get a 6-8'' coller addapter then 8'' from there, it shoud be about 10'-12' tall when done.
How high is your stack

seclark
01-18-2013, 09:56 AM
My stack is at least 12' high.I forgot to mention that the flames actually hit the bottom of my pre heater pan.It does not just set on a shelf, which takes better advantage of stack heat.I build a angle frame for the pan to sit in with pan gasket which works great for containing any flames.My original setup did set on a shelf but this design works so much better,the sap gets much hotter this way.

Etown Maple Syrup
01-18-2013, 11:27 AM
GaryP, I use oil tank evap with 4 steam table pans on top. The pan at the back is preheat pan. I don't know if these pictures will help. I just posted a video on youtube and on my facebook page that has the evap and the inside of it shown. I brick and unbrick every season to move the evap into storage. Cassell Farm Maple Syrup on facebook or search the tube for the same. Please ask me any questions I would like to help if you need me.

Etown Maple Syrup
01-18-2013, 05:26 PM
I was able to find and view your evaporator photos. There are many places that can be navigated on this site. All of which I will appreciate over time. Your project looks great and I give high marks for doing it yourself. Obviously, you do not need my advise.