PDA

View Full Version : 5/16 end loop installation

Springfield Acer
01-13-2013, 06:18 PM
I'm running my first tubing system and I have a question about terminating the 5/16" at the far end away from my main (this is a gravity set up or now).
I bought End of Line Hooks That have two 5/16 inline barbs that end up perpendicular to the incoming line when it is hooked.
I installed them by pulling my tubing around the tree, cutting to length, pushing on the fitting, and hooking over the incoming line.
The tension on the tubing pulling on the hook makes the other barb cock uphill so much that when I connect the drop tube, there ends up being a low point in the tubing before it even starts around the tree creating a significant trap.
This looks wrong to me.
Am I doing something wrong? It sure feels like it.
If this is as good as it gets, I'd have rather used an end of line loop to secure the tubing around the tree and then cut in a tee just below that like all the other trees. :confused:

OldManMaple
01-13-2013, 06:52 PM
I use the end line hook with 1 barb and a one way tee

adk1
01-13-2013, 06:58 PM
I dont know, alittle confused. a pic would help. I use the skide fittings, they are slick.

Gary R
01-13-2013, 07:08 PM
Randy, I don't know if I can help you but give me a call.

Sunday Rock Maple
01-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Sounds like you put your drop line on the wrong "T". The drop line should go up vertically (to the "T" that comes off the back of the question mark --- or the side away from the hook). The lat line then comes off the bottom of the question mark and goes around the tree and clips over itself on the front of the tree facing the main line.

West Mountain Maple
01-13-2013, 07:48 PM
The Leader end line Y is the best solution i see, with a single fitting you end the lat with a drop line flowing straight into it, all downhill, with a dead(no sap) loop around the end tree. Drawbacks are no adjustment at this end, and they are a little tricky with the tubing tool. I use 30p, put up tight, stays tight, dont need adjustment. Another all downhill option is a straight hooked connector with wire around the tree in tubing.

adk1
01-13-2013, 08:08 PM
yeah, the is one of the downsides to the slide fitting at the end tree. you ahve sap having to go slightly uphill to get around the tree. This year however, I have used some wire around the tree in scrap 5/16" tubing then use the slide fitting and attach it to the wire. This way you can still tension the tubing if you need to and you avoid having sap go around the back the tree. Plus you do not have to cut your tubing to install a fitting

Springfield Acer
01-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Thanks everyone. I've got this solved.
My end of line hook is not the 'L' shape like a question mark with a tap out the back that points vertically when installed.
My hook is a question mark with the other barb straight inline with the other barb.
I'm cutting in a dead end tee just downstream of my hooks and reconnecting my drop there.
This will leave the loop dead and slope there will not mean a thing.
If anyone wants a picture of my current set up I can provide it. Let me know.

unc23win
01-13-2013, 08:42 PM
What I sometimes on my end tree is just use a Y or a T to make the loop go all the way around the tree. Then I put in the drops and I use a drop on the back of the tree to pull the loop of line up then the sap can go downhill either way around to the front of the tree. It is not adjustable so some times you have to take some slack out.

Dave Y
01-15-2013, 04:08 PM
the lateral line should be attached to the barb directly opposite the hook. The dropline is attached to the vertical barb. This will give you direct run from the tap into the lateral. It does not run up hill, and can be adjusted to the pitch you need. I use many and find them easy to use.

Gary R
01-15-2013, 09:01 PM
The connectors he had were made by IPL. There was no verticle barb. Both are horizontal. I think he got some one way tees to cut in.

TunbridgeDave
01-16-2013, 07:12 AM
We always used Y's at the last tree when we had gravity, and they were always the first thing to break. Plus, you can't put them on with a tool. We started changing over to that IPL endline hook when they first came out and yes the sap may have to go up hill around the tree sometimes but as long as the sap is flowing it's not a big deal, and being the last tree that's where you'd get the most natural vacuume. I love those fittings.

farmall h
01-16-2013, 05:16 PM
Springfieldacer...you are installing them incorrectly. Dave Y answered your question.

You would think that when some one asks a ligitamate question on this site, the response should be an answer to the question...NOT as to what you use for an end tree connector. Stop boasting and answer the question! 'nough said.

farmall h
01-16-2013, 05:20 PM
yeah, . you ahve sap having to go slightly uphill to get around the tree. the tree.

Huh?? What are you doing installing the tubing above your spout? Last I checked it is a down hill grade from the spout to the lateral....

unc23win
01-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Actually Farmall not to be mean but I don't think Dave Y answered the question either if you read all the posts you will see that Springfieldacer did not have the VERTICAL barb.
Springfieldacer solved his own problem by putting in a dead T. I am not sure but I think it sounds like he used a connector with a hook to make a loop around the tree and then connected his drop to a dead end T in front of the tree.
I wasn't boasting, I said I sometimes use a Y or a T to make a loop around the tree I never had one break, but maybe the connector is stronger either way I think we are both making loops around the tree.

Springfield Acer
01-16-2013, 08:33 PM
OK, lots of good input. Thank you all!
To maybe put this to rest (I wonder), I have included pictures. Two are of the installed end hook with two barbs (in line, not 90*) and a cup and plug. My concern is that the tension pulling over the top of the hook, cocks the lateral down before it starts around the tree creating a trap which is supposedly a no-no. You'll notice the cut off tubing that was going to the tap. You'll also notice the red inline tee that the tap is now connected to. That is a dead ended tee on the run with a vertical branch open to tap drop. I like this much better.
The last picture is of an unused end loop hook.
I cannot see how to install this particular fitting any other way and therefore will only use them in the dead tubing configuration as shown until they are gone.

farmall h
01-17-2013, 05:26 PM
unc23win, your right. I stand corrected. I overlooked Gary R's response regarding the IPL slide connectors. Although Dave Y is correct if Springfieldacer was using the D&G connector.
Sprinfieldacer I think if you were to install your drop you would be all set. I don't think it necessary to purchase the dead-end tees. The sap will flow!

GeneralStark
01-18-2013, 08:28 AM
I have used and still have a few of the IPL straight end line hook shown in your third photo. I have never had issues with freezing or sap spoilage in th eloop around the tree, but this is an area that squirrels like to chew. As I change out drops (I am a frequent drop changer) I am replacing these fitting with an IPL end hook (just a hook) and an IPL plug tee. On these plug t's the loop around the tree is plugged so the T is just a 90 for the end tree drop, like shown in the other photos. With this, the squirrels and porcupines can have at the loop as long as they leave enough to keep tension on the lateral.:)

farmall h
01-18-2013, 05:55 PM
General Stark...not feeding the squirrels is a great advantage even it it means buying the one-way "T".