PDA

View Full Version : insulating with sand

jkurtz0711
01-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Thinking of insulating my barrel arch with sand. Any thoughts? Also want to do a preheater using finned hydronic heat tubing on the back of the arch so any condensation drips on the ground instead of last years setup where it dipped into.the pan. Will the finned tube transfer the heat into the pipe better? I know it is there to help transfer the heat out of the pipe. Also would building a steal box around it help? Thanks for your thoughts.

SWEETER CREATIONS
01-13-2013, 05:59 PM
I have seen fin tube used works OK .Just use copper pipe .As far as sand don't it will draw moisture use vermiculite insulation and spread mortar over and dampen it . It will set up hard and then your all set

adk1
01-13-2013, 07:10 PM
when I got my arch off my BIL it was insulated on the bottom with sand under the red brick. I had been helping them sugar for years and that evap ran hot.i.e. IT radiated heat. WHen I bought it last year, I took all the brick out and then found the 2" layer of sand. which I get rid of..then I bought 2" thick ceramic insulation blanket. I lined the entire inside of the arch with it then bricked over just the area in the firebox and up the ramp. I can hold my hand on any part of the arch besides the front now..so you can see how well insulated it is now. you want the heat in the arch not radiating out. HAving said all this, the sand will work for protecting the metal however wont give you much of an R value.

jkurtz0711
01-13-2013, 07:50 PM
I was thinking of building a box around the barrel which is 1/2 inch thick steel so im really not worried about the moisture and them filling the box with sand. Essentially insulating 3 sides of the arch.

ericjeeper
01-13-2013, 08:42 PM
I was thinking of building a box around the barrel which is 1/2 inch thick steel so im really not worried about the moisture and them filling the box with sand. Essentially insulating 3 sides of the arch.
This should work pretty well as sand is a p poor conductor of heat. Think of the beach.. so hot on top you can barely stand on it, wiggle your feet down a couple of inches and it is cool.