PDA

View Full Version : Questions for a 1"ID dump tubing system

AU Forest People
01-12-2013, 09:29 PM
So here's the deal, after a lot of discussion I was advised to use 1" ID mainline for the tubing for a "dump system" for my lines. I hope to tap 60 trees on bucket on a hillside (200' elev. change) and have 2-3 branches off of the mainline (same ID) that I will "dump" my collected sap into. The line is about 800' total including side branches that will feed directly into my collection tank. I was advised that the 1" is the smallest ID that I want to go to ensure that it will drain.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with a dump system and how their success was with it. I'm worried about drainage problems, but with a 200' hydraulic head I feel that I will be ok, along with the T fittings for the side branches connected to the dump buckets that should act as a bleeding site for bubbles. Let me know what you all think!

Kevin (Alfred University Forest People sugar shack)

Mike in NY
01-16-2013, 07:38 PM
we used a dump system one yr when snow was to deep. Used 3/4 black plastic w 3 different dump stations. Dump stations were 15 gallon barrels w/ top cut off. . Occasionaly while close to dump stations we would have to wait while dumping 2 5 gallon buckets in but the further away you get the sap was gone. maybe 15 ft drop on a 600 ft line and we ran 180 buckets that yr. tough way to make syrup