PDA

View Full Version : 5 days of above freezing...no sap running,,so happy !!

TerryEspo
01-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Well, here in Sault Ontario, border city to Soo Michigan 49783, we had 5 days staright of daytime temps above freezing. Most lakes opened, not much snow left, all creeks opened.

I did a test drill on two maples to see if the sap was running,,,hoping not. No sap. Today is the last day of above normal temps, all freezing weather now in the forecast.

I was so happy to see no drips.

May we all have a great season.

Happy Tapping !!

Terry

red maples
01-13-2013, 05:53 AM
our "heat wave just keeps on going it will be above 40* here until thursday!!! was supposed to go into deep freeze tues. hmmmm another winter that never was so far!!!! well at leaast we had a few days of winter. this weather is bad though making everybody sick!!!

bcarpenter
01-13-2013, 06:08 AM
I wouldn't call it a heat wave :)
I found myself hoping it would have been a little warmer yesterday as I was cutting all the bricks for my evaporator, but at least the temps were above freezing. Lately it seems like the seasons overlap a lot more than I remember growing up.

Mike R.
01-13-2013, 08:32 AM
I can't complain the sap weren't running yet as I'm not ready. I was busy putting up lines and piling more firewood. Hopefully this long cold spell we are supposed to get will stay for another 6 weeks and maybe we can have a half normal season.

Terry if your still looking for a Evaporator here is one for sale on craigslist...

http://nmi.craigslist.org/grd/3542182139.html

SapZilla
01-13-2013, 08:56 AM
Hang tight guys. Every year people get to excited and tap. Last year was an exception and we can't forget that! We still have over half of our year's supply of wood for the outdoor woodstove.

TerryEspo
01-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Hey Mike:

I saw that evaporator on Craigs List, but thinking I am going to wait. I have a new plan with this addicting hobbly and will be moving indoors for next season,,,I think. I would really like a flue pan I think, smaller machine with great performance. That to me is better than a large unit flat pan. I will see how a 100+ taps treats me and go from there what I want to buy for an evaporator.

Whatever happens is all good. Never a bad day sugaring.

Thanks.

Terry

Blaze
01-20-2013, 03:57 AM
I noticed a friend of mine tapped a few trees before last weekend and the sap did run here for a short time. I am in the northern tip of Michigans lower peninsula. I think he only tapped a dozen trees at most. I usually start tapping in mid February.