PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got taps in already

jake22si
01-12-2013, 03:06 PM
I know it's too early, or is it. It's getting difficult to tell. Last year I started middle of January and had some great runs

Jeffrey Hakala
01-12-2013, 04:16 PM
My bro and I are waiting, I think its going to freeze up until the season starts. I know how you feel about letting this weather go by with no taps in!

spencer11
01-12-2013, 05:01 PM
its gonna get cold again before the season, this is just a normal january thaw

adk1
01-12-2013, 05:29 PM
I am with sepncer11. actually, this entire week was supposed to be the thaw however other than yesterday and today there really wasent one. I am glad. Next week its gonna get cold again below normal actually.

Painted Cow
01-13-2013, 08:34 PM
we tapped feb 11 last year, first boil was feb 19. feb 11 was a bit early but it was our first year and we couldn't wait. warm today, 43, but supposed to get cold again. dj

red maples
01-14-2013, 08:16 AM
WHAT??!!!! this isn't the normal Janusary thaw. that doesn't come usually until the end of january. and will last a few days we are goin on about what a week and 1/2 here. but winter coming back so the forecast looks but we'll see. I would like a nice GOOD freeze up a little snow so we can at least call it a winter. try to get in a little Ice fishing, and a little snow shoeing, and sledding with the kids before its time to tap in then as we all know hibernate in the Sugarhouse for a month or so.

Dill
01-14-2013, 12:40 PM
I thought the Jan thaw was usually right after the new year?
I can tell you the sap is running on the roadside trees that just got trimmed. But why tap this early, all it means that you have to deal with your equipment freezing back.

pidget19
01-14-2013, 01:16 PM
This thaw is fairly normal. It just seems unusual because we associate January with the coldest temperatures of the year. If it were to stay this temperature straight through till March... then I would call it unusual. I'm not sure how well this file will show up, but here's a snap shot of a temperature tracker I have from 2001-2013 covering the months of January through March in my zip code. All the highlighted days are days above freezing (33 degrees or higher). You can see that, at least for the past 12 or so years, this years temperatures aren't drastically higher than normal. But I agree, I really hope it gets cold again soon!!!!

pidget19
01-14-2013, 01:26 PM
That didn't show up very well... If anyone's really interested, just let me know and I'll send you the file.