PDA

View Full Version : Crown Royal Maple

HyeOnMaple
01-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Caution - To any who battle alcohol addiction, please reconsider reading this post.

Not sure what forum to post this in but this is my best guess. Following the thread about Crown Maple lead me to the CR Maple post. Now, what I know about maple syrup couldn't fill a nip sized bottle compared to generations of knowledge represented on this board, however I have alwayz loved the stuff. I've tried maple this and maple that, but have alwayz been left wanting. I had all but gave up on thinking anything really had a great maple taste, and with that, a delightful aftertaste that just lingered on the palate. And I make my own syrup! Well, let me tell you, Crown Royal has just changed my mind. I am NOT a big whisky drinker, and but for the mention of the CR Maple in the Crown Maple thread, I never would have considered it. This new product by CR is delicious!!! It lingers in the sinuses (in a pleasant way), it lingers on the tongue, it lingers everywhere and smells like the best part of the syrup making process (you pick your fave). Here in NH it sells at the NH State Liquor Store for $25.95. When this bottle is empty, I will be buying it again. Wow, what a flavor. I can still smell it on my hand an hour after putting down my (one) glass. Yummm!!

Happy sugaring mates!

noreast maple
01-11-2013, 10:25 PM
what is the name of it? just cr wiskey?

shane hickey
01-11-2013, 10:37 PM
That is the name of the wiskey crown royal

CBOYER
01-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Everythinge related to maple, and made in Québec is better...:lol:

http://www.crownroyal.com/Whiskies/maple.aspx

noreast maple
01-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Thanks, have to try some.

Kngowods
01-12-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm not a whiskey drinker but it is VERY good!!

OneLegJohn
01-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Tasted artificial to me. I'm not saying it doesn't have real maple syrup. I am saying it has some flavor enhancers.

heus
01-13-2013, 05:01 AM
It did not taste very good on my pancakes. A little too runny also .

CharlieVT
01-13-2013, 05:27 AM
Try this stuff if you're inclined to maple spirits,
From Saxon's River, VT:
(disclaimer: no affiliation, just happened to have had some at a local eatery last week.)

http://saplingliqueur.com/

RickinFarmington
01-13-2013, 05:39 AM
Wonderful combination of two of life's simple pleasures. I call it the Crown Royal version of Captain Morgans Spiced Rum.

Dan W
01-15-2013, 05:54 PM
The Warden got me a bottle for X-mas. It didn't last too long. I just tapped the another one yesterday. Crown Royal is very good but I have always been a Jim Beam guy. That may change for those special occassions though.

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Try this stuff if you're inclined to maple spirits,
From Saxon's River, VT:
(disclaimer: no affiliation, just happened to have had some at a local eatery last week.)

http://saplingliqueur.com/

I have and its good

noreast maple
01-16-2013, 07:32 AM
Ijust purchased a bottle of sapling -vermontmaple liqueur:o mustsay that is the smoothest whiskey Ive ever had , Smooth with a little kick.:lol: Maple flavor is very good and not hidden by the liqor. just my 2cents.

spud
01-21-2013, 05:26 PM
I see Crown Maple is now advertising on ESPN2 tonight.

Spud

lwlvine
01-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Just got some to try. It is quite good but there is no real maple syrup in it, just sugar. It's just aged with maple wood or something like that. I was disappointed that there was not real maple syrup in it. But they do seem to be trying to make people think there is maple syrup in it.

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-21-2013, 07:12 PM
Just got some to try. It is quite good but there is no real maple syrup in it, just sugar. It's just aged with maple wood or something like that. I was disappointed that there was not real maple syrup in it. But they do seem to be trying to make people think there is maple syrup in it.

if your talking about Sapling you are mis-guided, the last paragraph states "We use only Natural Vermont Grade A maple syrup." Trust me as I will say if they are lyeing about the syrup, the VT AG Dept will be paying them a very quick visit.

DrTimPerkins
01-21-2013, 07:22 PM
I have and its good

I try pretty much all of these types of maple concoctions I can find. Some are bad, some are good, some are very good. All are a little too sweet for my palate for everyday drinking....more of a sipping beverage for a nice visit with friends after dinner. My current preference is Sapling also. Fortunately, a friend gave me a bottle for Christmas, and it isn't dry yet. Will have to go out looking for the Crown Royal Maple next time I pass by a liquor store to give it a try.

Sweetleaf
01-21-2013, 08:31 PM
That Crown Royal maple is something to behold! It does almost seem fake. However my understanding is that they have coated the walls of the oak barrels with maple before being burned in. Makes sense right. The maple flavor is more like the flavor of burned marshmallow more so than what we all enjoy has maple. But it's there, i did some research out of disbelief but I believe it's the real deal. enjoyed a bit over the holidays and decided I wanted to treat my dirtbag ski friends with some and it was sold out! I can safely say we will enjoy it while boiling this year. Cheers!

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-22-2013, 04:23 AM
guess i nees togo find some crown royal maple

ihuntbear
01-22-2013, 01:54 PM
why not make your own..I did last year.all you do is boil the sap down to 216 F to get 113 liters ,add some yeast,let ferment for 2 weeks and run through a still...makes roughly 20 liters of the best maple whisky.Then i run it through a carbon filter.comes out 180 proof so i cut it down with distilled water to 50.add a little maple syrup for taste ..its just for my use

ihuntbear
01-22-2013, 02:40 PM
this is what i did in stead of making wine i put it though a still......the time of suguring off that I always liked was the last flows.
When you have all of the syrup you want keep the taps flowing and boiling BUT, only boil to 216 dec F not 221 dec F. Once you have a 5 gallon primary fermenter full of this cooled off to room temp. place a wine hydromiter in it. It should show a reading of around spaciffic gravity 1.86 give or take a dec or 2 . Now get a packet of wine yeast sprinkle it on top and air lock the primary fermenter. Once the fermenting has slowed significanty (about 2 weeks at 80 dec F), refloat the hydromiter and check the progress. If you are at 1.1 SG syphon the wort to a secondary (a glass carboy is best but not essencial) and keep it there air locked untill you get to a reading of 1.00SG, it is now time for bottleing. I use a fine filter, you can rent one, I make enough wine to own my own. This makes a verry nice white desert wine around 12% alcohol. Best served cold.

HyeOnMaple
01-24-2013, 08:45 PM
And how does one "run this through a still"? :evil:

ihuntbear
01-28-2013, 07:14 AM
u have to have friends that have one..easy to build..just google it

FunnyFarm
01-28-2013, 07:53 AM
Building a still is not to hard. Here is a link to a place sells the parts...I bought the pot and built the condenser.http://www.brewhaus.com/
Made a batch of banana maple shine that is just spectacular...

DrTimPerkins
01-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Just so everyone is clear....making beer or wine is no problem, but once you start to concentrate it in any way, by freezing or distilling (or other methods), you would need a have a liquor license, or you are operating illegally.

unc23win
01-28-2013, 12:58 PM
In Pa you can make a certain amount for personal or family use I think it is 50 gallons.

DrTimPerkins
01-28-2013, 02:30 PM
In Pa you can make a certain amount for personal or family use I think it is 50 gallons.

Happy to be wrong on this one, but I'd like to see anyone produce the law that says that. If they do, I'm retiring to PA as soon as I can :D

To my knowledge however, operation of a still to produce spirits of any kind is illegal throughout the U.S. (Federal Law). The Feds even require those who make commercially available stills to produce their sales list (including personal contact info) on demand....no warrant or subpeona needed (there are only a few legally permitted uses for stills). I don't believe there are any "personal exemption" rules of any-kind, anywhere in the U.S. States control the distribution and sales, but have to comply with Federal regulations about permitting for production. The only way it is legal is to get a permit and pay the government their excise tax. Permits for distilling liquor typically run in the thousands of dollars. Brewing and wine-making is one thing, and totally legal.....once you try to concentrate that alcohol in any way, either by freezing or distilling, it is illegal.

FunnyFarm
01-28-2013, 02:40 PM
I don't think it is legal anywhere...The gist of what i read everywhere is though they are more concerned with collecting taxes on production than taking down folks making a gallon or 2 for personal consumption....So if one would make such a thing certainly don't be foolish enough to sell it...

HyeOnMaple
01-28-2013, 09:51 PM
...certainly don't be foolish enough to sell it...

Course not, just put your own label on it, pass it around to your friends, and call it Maple Shine!

rossbarramen
02-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Just came back from a tour of crown maple, very very cool operation. They hope to adventually have 400000 taps which seems rather silly and unjust to me but i was impressed with all the brand new equipment. Syrup is way over priced and they really tried stressing how it was "organic" but all real maple syrup is so really there just trying to make some money which isnt a bad thing. But truley an incredible operation its clear they have a nice space in the high end organic farming industry. if anyone has any questions about the place you can message me

heus
02-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Just came back from a tour of crown maple, very very cool operation. They hope to adventually have 400000 taps which seems rather silly and unjust to me but i was impressed with all the brand new equipment. Syrup is way over priced and they really tried stressing how it was "organic" but all real maple syrup is so really there just trying to make some money which isnt a bad thing. But truley an incredible operation its clear they have a nice space in the high end organic farming industry. if anyone has any questions about the place you can message me
Ross this thread is about Crown Royal Maple Whiskey (not Crown Maple)

rossbarramen
02-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Ross this thread is about Crown Royal Maple Whiskey (not Crown Maple) well than thas awkward

Rugburn
02-03-2013, 12:02 PM
We call it sugar & shine. Nice combo! Hillbilly favorite.