PDA

View Full Version : 2 X 6 Pre Heater Plans

Tucker08
01-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Good Afternoon,

I was hoping to search and find a set of plans for a Pre Heater over my 2 X 4 rear pan by doing a search and not starting a new thread but nothing came up. I am an avid metal worker and can solder, so I am more looking for piping dimension, manifold configuration, and number of pipes between the two manifolds. If anyone has any tips it would be appreciated!

Thank you,

THCPrecision
01-10-2013, 04:00 PM
What part of southern vt are you from. I am just south of Keene Nh if you want to come look at what I have you are welcome to. I have a homade hood and preheater that work great. looking at it in person is worth a lot of pics and sketches

Mike in NY
01-10-2013, 07:27 PM
In kingsbury NY, I have a homade preheater on a 2x6. If I remember right there is about 30 ft of 3/4 copper in it. sap coming out of it somewhere north of 160 * If you are anywhere near me (southern tip of Lake George) come take a look at it along with some ideas I have for a different design.

Tucker08
01-11-2013, 06:44 AM
Thanks, to both Mike and THC. I am near Bennington, VT and am not around the corner from either, but close enough where it is possible. I will do some more research, see if I can do it with looking at some friend's rigs and go from there. If anyone has any tips or warnings of what not to do, i would appreciate that!

Tweegs
01-11-2013, 08:12 AM
Gonna watch this thread close.
Any chance someone could post a few pics? I’m a bit far to come take a gander.

I’m particularly interested in how it sits on the flue pan or is mounted to the hood and how it is set so that sap can drain after shutdown to prevent a freeze up.

Hop Kiln Road
01-11-2013, 11:03 AM

The UVM Maple site has a set of plans.

maplesyrupstove
01-11-2013, 11:27 AM
6266626762686269Here my old one.3/4 inch header and 1/2 loops.

Maplebrook
01-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Hi Tweegs,
Take a look at "Preheater Question" on this category. Good discussion going there on this.

Tweegs
01-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Thanks,
Been watching that one too.

Actually, yours is the style I plan on building, was stuck with the mounting though and Hop Kiln Road provided one of those “why didn’t I think of that?” moments.

Adjustable…Perfect.

That’s the solution to what I’m up against. My hood won’t be ready until the end of the month, maybe longer. Cutting it way too close.

Making the base adjustable offers some flexibility.

Tucker08
01-11-2013, 06:58 PM
There is some great information in both threads. Thanks everyone! I went to F.W. Webb today and purchased some fittings. Tonight I will start soldering. I had a bunch of 3/4 to 1/2 inch Ts in the barn that I am cutting down a little and will use for fabricating the manifolds they are too wide if left at their full width) with 3/4 to 1/2 inch elbows i will make up the two sides. I did also get a special 3/4 x 1/2 x 1/2 and will sweat in a vent on one corner. All together I will have 6 1/2 pipes running parallel with a 3/4 inlet and 3/4 outlet. This should keep this (2X6 with blower) rig supplied sufficiently, right? I can always have a dump valve if for some reason i need more sap in there fast. Hopefully I will post a pic in the next couple of days. Will have copper pipe holders and stainless threaded rod on 4 corners so i can adjust the elevation on the unit to be higher on one side.

Tweegs
01-12-2013, 08:05 AM
I don’t know Tucker, I had it in my head that I was going to use 1” manifolds and ¾ pipe until you asked. I started digging around for flow rates and much of the information went right over my head, until I found this:

http://flexpvc.com/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml

Granted, it is for PEX/PVC, but even if the pressure loss (and all that other mumbo-jumbo that I don’t understand) reduced the flow rate by half in copper, a 330 GPH flow rate at gravity (green column) far exceeds what these 2x6’s will run at.

Now I was looking at 1x3/4x1” T’s at $11 a pop, if I could downsize the manifold to ¾ it would save a ton of money.

But before I start buying copper though, I want to give you folks a chance to talk me into or out of a ¾” manifold.

wiam
01-12-2013, 09:42 AM
I don’t know Tucker, I had it in my head that I was going to use 1” manifolds and ¾ pipe until you asked. I started digging around for flow rates and much of the information went right over my head, until I found this:

http://flexpvc.com/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml

Granted, it is for PEX/PVC, but even if the pressure loss (and all that other mumbo-jumbo that I don’t understand) reduced the flow rate by half in copper, a 330 GPH flow rate at gravity (green column) far exceeds what these 2x6’s will run at.

Now I was looking at 1x3/4x1” T’s at $11 a pop, if I could downsize the manifold to ¾ it would save a ton of money.

But before I start buying copper though, I want to give you folks a chance to talk me into or out of a ¾” manifold.

Not saying this is not good info. Just reminding your evaporator does not use a steady flow. It should in an Ideal world but it doesn't What I am saying is you want it oversize for when it really needs sap. I feed my 2x6 with 1" and would use nothing smaller. If you are now using 3/4 it could still work but there will be more restriction in the line with elbows and you should need more flow than you did before.(That is the point of preheater)

adk1
01-12-2013, 04:51 PM
I am pretty sure that my feed line is 1" inside diameter. The producer that I bought it off of used a piece of standard sized garden hose. I scrapped that and bought a clear hose. I have not had any issues with the evap not getting enough sap. other than a freezeup in the line one night while I was boiling! now that was scary..open the doors quick! a simple lead light gave off enough heat to keep the line thawed..now I always have that handy

Tucker08
01-13-2013, 07:46 PM

This is how far I have gotten now. Just have to figure out where my float box is when I set everything up and will then finish lining everything up and will place the drip pan.

flying squirrel maple
01-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Do you need a pressure release valve in the system? Noticed some have it some don't