PDA

View Full Version : Found some taps that did not get pulled from the tree....UGH

hitnspit
01-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Ok I have come across some taps that did not get pulled from the tree last year for some reason. Would i just pull them now and retap the tree? Will the tree leak from the old hole or would it have healed up?

shane hickey
01-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Pull them out now or any time drill a new hole whem
Its time to tap the old hole wont leek and will
Eventually heel up.

ennismaple
01-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Agreed. With over 4,000 taps and volunteer labour during cleanup we always encounter taps that haven't been pulled when we're tapping the following season. They are often on the backside of a tree where the guy pulling spouts didn't expect to find a tap. We'll pull the spout and re-tap the tree. The old taphole will not run the following year and often the tree has mostly pushed the spout out of the hole by the time we find them.

hitnspit
01-09-2013, 02:20 PM
phewwww . Thanks

adk1
01-09-2013, 02:51 PM
I would pull the spout out. I wouldnt retap because of the dead wood above and below the wound. I would actually not tap the tree this year either.

shane hickey
01-09-2013, 03:14 PM
I would pull the spout out. I wouldnt retap because of the dead wood above and below the wound. I would actually not tap the tree this year either.

Why not i have a neighbor that has about a thousand taps and he leaves them in every year
Comes spring he says he pulls them out shoots a couple of shots of
Bleach drills a new hole puts them back in. He done this ever since i can remember
And hes 73 years old now. I asked him about this and he says rite or wrong
Its just what he does. And his tubing is ovet 20 years old im guessing old
Habits die hard. He also sells it all retail. I just know ill never buy it because he also
Burns used oil for fuel for the evaporator. And the health inspector
Allows this even with oil on the cement where his barrels have leaked
A very messy operation. Hows this allowed

lew
01-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Many large operations leave all their taps in year round. It does set the tree back a year for healing but makes it easier to see where to put a new tap in the following year.

Shane,

Why would you not buy syrup from a producer that burns old motor oil? the oil doesn't get into the syrup. It's burned under the pans.

shane hickey
01-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Under the pans yes thats fine this guy has it all over the floor running out his door.
Guns are leaking all over the front of the evaporator his pans are complete black on the outside of them.
Very messy

red maples
01-10-2013, 05:39 AM
yes I agree thats bad...the oil needs to bo contained. if it were clean it would be a different story.

As far as what ADK1 said I don't understand what you mean weather you put your tap or not there is going to be staining above and below the old tap hole which you should nt really be taping close to anyway. If you heck some old tap holes take longer than a year to close up and some tap holes are closed up with in a a few months.

Pull it and tap the tree it will be fine!!! I have missed 1 or 2 as well and they healed over just fine with in a few months during the growing season.

moeh1
01-10-2013, 11:16 AM
That's my problem, I din't know a tree has a front and backside....:lol:

Agreed. With over 4,000 taps and volunteer labour during cleanup we always encounter taps that haven't been pulled when we're tapping the following season. They are often on the backside of a tree where the guy pulling spouts didn't expect to find a tap. We'll pull the spout and re-tap the tree. The old taphole will not run the following year and often the tree has mostly pushed the spout out of the hole by the time we find them.

adk1
01-10-2013, 11:29 AM
I think at times we need to think about the tree's health. Somtimes we get all hyped up about the amount of sap we can get and keep trying to get more out of each tree. I say in the off season, pull those taps so the tree can heal as quick as possible. IT will not only benefit the tree but you as a producer as well. You will get many more years out of that tree.
I would think that leaving the spouts in allows more basteria to inter as well as other disease. Just my 2 cents

markct
01-10-2013, 12:07 PM
i took over and retubed a small sugarbush that hadnt been tapped in 8 years or so, some of the taps had never been pulled and were nearly grown all the way around the head of the tap!

unc23win
01-10-2013, 12:12 PM
This thread was started when someone asked what do about taps that were not pulled. The simple answer is pull them and retap the trees in question this year.

Of course we all should keep the health of the tree in mind, but sometimes you miss a tap. The tree will heal.

Ed R
01-10-2013, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE=adk1;199086]I think at times we need to think about the tree's health. Somtimes we get all hyped up about the amount of sap we can get and keep trying to get more out of each tree. I say in the off season, pull those taps so the tree can heal as quick as possible. IT will not only benefit the tree but you as a producer as well. You will get many more years out of that tree.
I would think that leaving the spouts in allows more basteria to inter as well as other disease. Just my 2 centsQUOTE] Some times I do call the little guys that when the tap holes dry up.