PDA

View Full Version : distance between trees

hitnspit
01-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Ok i have a few trees that are well not so close to each other. How far woould be to far to run my 5/16 lat from tree to tree. They are some pretty big trees or i would just leave them alone and not bother. Should each tree have its own lat to the main line? Thanks.....Jim

unc23win
01-09-2013, 09:53 AM
When using mainlines try to keep the lateral line shorter. Most people try to keep them under 50'. Depending on how your mainline runs in relation to these trees you might want to have them run to the mainline seperate that way your limiting the amount of sap in the lateral line especially if its a little farther.

spud
01-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Ok i have a few trees that are well not so close to each other. How far woould be to far to run my 5/16 lat from tree to tree. They are some pretty big trees or i would just leave them alone and not bother. Should each tree have its own lat to the main line? Thanks.....Jim

Jim,

There is 500 feet to a role so have at it. If you are gravity you could put 50 taps on that line. Never leave a tree behind.:lol:

Spud

Maplewalnut
01-09-2013, 11:14 AM
I agree with Spud, connect them all in some fashion. It may not look pretty the first time you do it but you'll get sap at the other end.... Its a simple equation...the more trees = the more sap. As you become more familiar with tubing you can go back an fine tune. Good Luck

Springfield Acer
01-09-2013, 11:22 AM
I have the same concern. I am planning un making some of those long runs but am concerned about sag. I am on gravity. My mainline is tight, straight, and pitched at 2-1/2% but how picky do you have to be with the 5/16? Even with good pitch, a sag of 5/16 will create a trap. How much will that affect flow and/or natural vacuum?

lakeview maple
01-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Exactly no tree left behind,LOL
Jim,

There is 500 feet to a role so have at it. If you are gravity you could put 50 taps on that line. Never leave a tree behind.:lol:

Spud

Tweegs
01-09-2013, 01:25 PM
If you have even the slightest inclination towards vacuum in the future, it pays to do it right the first time instead of having to invest more money correcting your set-up later on down the road.

A recent tubing seminar I attended stressed that you should avoid having your laterals running parallel with a main, that the production lost on that parallel line would more than cover the cost of an additional saddle.

On those longer lateral runs I took to standing on the opposite side of the main as the lateral, pulling as hard as I could on the lateral and at the same time walking towards the trees the lateral was on, stretching the mainline wire as tight as I could get it, then mark, cut, and install a hook end. A word of caution here…Don’t let go of that lateral…if you do, that high tensile wire will sling shot you clear cross the wood lot. Better to use a rope around the main, wrap around a tree and tension up the mainline wire that way, but I was feeling kind of froggy and invincible.

Now, if you don’t mind the potential for a high speed pass through the woods, do it my way, but I figured that if I could stretch both of those puppies tight as could be, any stretch or sag in the lateral would be taken up by the tension in the main.

hitnspit
01-09-2013, 02:18 PM
thank you all.