PDA

View Full Version : Can sap be stored tonight.

Sugar
01-08-2013, 07:21 PM
We emptied our sap bags around 5pm. It is 7pm now and 47 degrees. Our low tonight is supposed to be 41. Can I store this sap, or what we don't get done this evening, outside overnight?

tuckermtn
01-08-2013, 07:40 PM
if its your first run and you had clean equipment to start the season, you should be alright to hold it overnight. clean equipment means less bacteria to start spoiling a new batch. But at 41 deg. it will not stay fresh too long. should get on it tomorrow for sure.

325abn
01-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Should be fine worst that will happen is you will make some great tasting dark dark syrup. Right?

G&D MapleSurgaring
01-08-2013, 07:54 PM
What i would do is have milk jugs cleaned out and water put into them and freeze them and put them in the sap to keep it cold to keep it fresh.

Sugar
01-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Thank you everybody! It's not my first run...The good news is this stuff is running and running and running. It is very light and pretty. I am trying to boil it first and put in the evaporator, but I have some chicks that are getting tired and I surely don't need to wear out my maple crew! My littlest one would be happy to treat the stuff as KoolAid and drink it all down.

I have another question...Starting tomorrow, we are having a 5-6 day warm up. I was wondering if I should strip my sap bags, and maybe Sunday evening go and hang new ones, so they would be fresh and clean and STERILE?! What do you tappers think?

spud
01-08-2013, 08:38 PM
What i would do is have milk jugs cleaned out and water put into them and freeze them and put them in the sap to keep it cold to keep it fresh.

This is what I did for many years and it always worked good.

Spud

markcasper
01-08-2013, 09:56 PM
I have another question...Starting tomorrow, we are having a 5-6 day warm up. I was wondering if I should strip my sap bags, and maybe Sunday evening go and hang new ones, so they would be fresh and clean and STERILE?! What do you tappers think?
I do not think that is necessary, especially this early in the game.

Sugar
01-10-2013, 08:24 PM
I do not think that is necessary, especially this early in the game.

Thank you...I will leave the bags. It looks like we have close to a month for great tapping/syrup weather coming.

The Sweet Spot
01-11-2013, 07:53 AM
I work at a natural foods store with a walk in freezer. We take 5 gal buckets 80% full and freeze them solid. Keeps the sap nice and cool. :cool:Just bring home the bucket clean the outside well and put in our sap tank.

Sugar
01-12-2013, 12:44 AM
I work at a natural foods store with a walk in freezer. We take 5 gal buckets 80% full and freeze them solid. Keeps the sap nice and cool. :cool:Just bring home the bucket clean the outside well and put in our sap tank.

That's a good idea. We need to do something about storage, since we have none now. It makes it stressful, on the nights that it doesn't freeze.