PDA

View Full Version : Sap depth in the pan?

gleasondaddy
01-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Does sap depth effect evaporation rate? Will I get a higher rate with one inch of sap in the evaporator pan or would I get the same rate with eieght or nine?

ericjeeper
01-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Skinnier the better, Just make sure bottom of the pan is always covered in sap. So I would try to run closer to an inch to assure coverage. If your pan is warped in any way, you might have to run more to keep it covered.

ennismaple
01-08-2013, 02:22 PM
You will get faster evaporation the thinner the layer of sap in your pans. The old way of thinking was to keep the sap level as low as you dared. At Bruce Gillilan's recommendation, last year we increased the depth in our syrup pan to 2.25" and had no problems with scorch in the last channel before the draw-off and did not notice a difference in evaporation vs 1.5". And it's a lot less stressful!

lakeview maple
01-08-2013, 02:40 PM
I run about an inch in my pans ,I have a float box and I am always checking the flow into the pans ,you do not want it to not have sap,I get good evaporation running an inch.Al

Sunday Rock Maple
01-08-2013, 05:25 PM
LOL! I'm with Ennis, when I was a kid we always ran just as low as possible --- and often went into panic mode especially when switching sides. For the last several years we run just at the top of the pipe going into the pocket from the flue pan (King style pans) which is somewhere between 2.5 and 3".

maple flats
01-08-2013, 06:35 PM
I also ran at 1", sometimes as low as 3/4" on my old pans. With the new pans I think I'll go about 1.5" in the flue pan and 1" in the syrup pan. After I get to know the rig and how it runs I plan to gradually go back to my .75-1" in both pans.

farmall h
01-08-2013, 06:39 PM
gleasondaddy is asking about the depth of the "evaporation" pan....not the syrup pan. I usually run 1" over the top of the flues. The Small Bros. evaporators has a factory sight glass and we have had the level set like this since 1986.

325abn
01-08-2013, 07:50 PM
As low as you dare!! Carefull thing change very quickly!! :) Just enough to protect your pan!

Kngowods
01-08-2013, 09:17 PM
This is our first year with our new 2x8 we are gonna start with 2" in both pans like the class at LEME boiling 101 suggested. If and wen we get comfortable we will adjust. Just don't wanna risk burning our new pans

lakeview maple
01-08-2013, 09:30 PM
I just found that if I kept more than 1 inch in my pans ,I have a 2x6 leader king pans ,drop flue rear and divided syrup pan in front,that I couldnt get much of a boil going ,I lowered the levels and she boils like crazy .I just monitor my pan depths through out the boil and I dont completely trust the float box,if its mechanical it can fail,I keep a bucket of sap near the arch .

ennismaple
01-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Each evaporator has its own personality. Start deeper (2.5" to 2") and go thinner as you get more comfortable. With the heat in our Force 5 and once we get into a good rythm the automatic runoff can open for 5 seconds every minute - taking off a Litre of syrup at a time. I have so many other things to watch (RO, firebox, defoamer, filter press, bottling) that I can't be fretting over the syrup depth in the pan every minute. The peace of mind and ability to multi-task because we run a little deeper is worth sacrificing a few GPM's.

Paddymountain
01-09-2013, 01:23 PM
I used to try and keep my front pan at 1' or less, but with my new pans I bought last year, I've found it more important to keep the syrup pan free from sugarsand buildup.
This year I'm keeping some white vinegar handy and about every 600 gallon or so through the evaporator I'll soak the syrup pan overnight. Twice last year I almost smoked my pans and both times it was because of too much buildup.
I run my float so that the sap is just splashing over the inlet pipe in the fluepan(drop flue).

adk1
01-09-2013, 02:54 PM
I just found that if I kept more than 1 inch in my pans ,I have a 2x6 leader king pans ,drop flue rear and divided syrup pan in front,that I couldnt get much of a boil going ,I lowered the levels and she boils like crazy .I just monitor my pan depths through out the boil and I dont completely trust the float box,if its mechanical it can fail,I keep a bucket of sap near the arch .

Lake view, what kind of float do you have, we have the same rig. I wanna say that I run my float at the 8th hole

lakeview maple
01-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Im not sure adk1 ,I run it about half way over the inlet pipes in the flue pan which is about 1 inch over the flues.

AdirondackSap
01-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Im running 2 inches in my syruo pan. Does it matter how deep you go if your boiling high concentrate? The shallower you go higher chance of burning the pan.