PDA

View Full Version : Arch board

Fred Henderson
04-14-2006, 04:14 PM
What is it and how and where is it used in the arch?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-14-2006, 09:12 PM
Between the metal and the firebricks. :)

Fred Henderson
04-15-2006, 03:23 AM
Brandon, Thanks, I was being to think that no one was going to respond to such a simple ?.

Banjo
04-15-2006, 07:37 AM
Is it "common" practice to have this arch board in there, or something on premium models? Is it the same stuff as the ceramic blanket insulation?

Does it make a significant difference?

thanks, Andrew

forester1
04-15-2006, 02:28 PM
Arch board is different. It's stiff. You can cut it with a knife and it will stay upright where you put it. I just jammed in smaller peices for a tight fit. Some people use ceramic blanket for the same thing. I'm not sure if there is a significant difference. Both will insulate. The ceramic blanket would have to be glued down maybe with high temp silicone or something else or it wouldn't stay while you put in the bricks.

super sappy
04-15-2006, 02:55 PM
I glued some to the insides of my doors with high temp gasket cement. It started to delaminate by the end of the season.It will be worth redoing again next year. I will make a metal plate to protect it from the wood. I could open the doors with no heat transfer to my hands.Super sappy

Fred Henderson
04-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Sappy, You could bolt that piece of metal to your doors and use pipe spacers so as not to compress the blanket. That is how mine is set up now The mild steel plate only lasted 2 years. Now I have a piece of stainless steel in there.

mountainvan
04-15-2006, 06:57 PM
my evaporator came from dg with galvanized steel on the outside, arch board, and then another galvanized layer. Then I have firebrick. arch board stands up to 1900 degrees while ceramic goes to 3200. arch board can also be used under the flue pan on the deck. myself I have ceramic wool from the grates to the stack. reflects the heat back up to pan. the front door is insulated with ceramic hend on with pins and stainless washers. usually when I'm boiling the washers are glowing bright red.

maplehound
04-15-2006, 09:41 PM
When I first got my evaporator, I asked the dealer how I should go about bricking it. He told me it was recomended by the reps. to first put in a layer of corigated steel ( we used roofing metal) then a layer of fire blanket with our bricks over that. Our stainless steel arch still looks like it did when we bought it. NO scorching or discoloration with only one small exception. We didn't quit get a tight cover with the bricks and one small spot got hot the first boil and turned the arch blue in that spot. We quickly got that fixed and have no more problems. Now when we are running Hot you can lay your hand on the side of the arch and not feel anything more than a slight warmth. The corrigated metal gives it an air space that lets the arch sides stay cooler.
Ron