PDA

View Full Version : USDA / REAP Grants and other funding programs

Jmsmithy
01-07-2013, 09:14 PM
:confused:

Hello all,

Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to go about getting grants, or other funding methods available to landowners/ new sugarbush operations?

I'd appreciate anyone's experience, good or bad, with any of these entities, programs etc... :confused::rolleyes:

ToadHill
01-08-2013, 06:01 AM
Jmsmithy,

I'm not aware of any grants for the startup of a new operation. The REAP grant is designed to improve the energy efficiency of an existing operation, but can't be used to start a new one. In fact they have even become strict about not using a REAP grant to expand an existing operation. You can get info on REAP grants through the state maple association.

EQIP grants are available to help with sugarbush thinning and drainage improvements such as culverts, water bars, etc. They are available through the USDA/NRCS. They will cost share with you to improve your sugarbush. You will need to hire a forester to develop a plan and help you make out the application. If your approved you will need to foot the bill to do all of the work and then they will reimburse you once it is done.

If you own over 50 acres in NY then you should look into the 480a forest tax law or an ag exemption. They will save you a lot on your property taxes.

Good luck.

Jmsmithy
01-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Thx Randy

I have 250 acres with maple stands all over. Any funding would be a plus as I see it. My initial 40 or so trees are with in 100 yards of house/barn...biggest stand, however, almost 1/2 mile away! That's going be a work n progress trying figure how to make that work with multiple feet of snow we typically get!

Figure we've all paid more than our fair share to government at all levels, nice to try get some back!

jcb
01-12-2013, 04:56 AM
You can barrow money from the uada at a low rate

delivron
01-17-2013, 12:19 AM
!. Prepare a business plan and submit your needs to the local Farm Bank usually an independent organization.
Expect rates of 3 to 4 percent.
2. If you are rejected by Farm Bank then you might be eligible for USDA loan at 3/4 to 1 percent.

Money may or may not be available for first timers.