PDA

View Full Version : tapping

PATheron
01-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Guys- Question- My friend has a 1000 taps that his brothers didnt want the tubing in the air but would let him tap on the ground, nice trees. So we tapped it on the ground pretty much like you would for vac and put it on vac. Its on a north bush. It gets covered with snow and were wondering if we tap it with the new checkvalves before it thaws and its covered with snow and trees start to run and fill up the lateral lines becouse it cant get out will that mess up the holes with bacteria? Just wondered whats the thoughts. Using the new one piece check valves. Thanks Theron

mapleack
01-07-2013, 06:15 PM
I would be really afraid that it would because the sap running out would keep the ball out, allowing sap to back up and into the tap hole? Maybe Dr Tim will have insight into this. Alternatively, could he hire some kids to spend a couple hours pulling the lines up out of the snow?

PATheron
01-08-2013, 04:03 AM
Im not sure what to think about that either. I really try to not let that happen. Its kind of a funny deal there but thats the only way we were allowed to tap so thats what we did. It looks like the weather is going to melt the snow off so if thats the case I may tell him to just tap it in last after his stuff thats in the air is done. Just not sure how bad it is if the tube is stopped up like that. Theron

Dave Y
01-08-2013, 06:29 AM
Theron,
I do not think the check valves will react any differently with line covered with snow or not. How ever I would try to pull the lines out of the snow before I tapped.

Thad Blaisdell
01-08-2013, 07:01 AM
I would too. get the lines on top of the snow, that way at least they wont be stuck down if there is some snow left... not sure why this guy doesnt want them in the air..... ask if you can pick them up and then lay them back down at end of season

markcasper
01-08-2013, 08:21 AM
not sure why this guy doesnt want them in the air.....

I once had a landowner tell me not to tap anything over 15" because doing that may shorten their life. :o

PATheron
01-08-2013, 03:26 PM
My friend owns the property with his brothers and they hunt on it and were worried about the lines being in the air so we put them on the ground so they would be happy. They dont seem to mind now that they are getting used to them so we might be able to put them up in a little while. I think the snow is going to melt off so I think that will make them better. Thinkin Ill tell him to tap those ones last. Theron