PDA

View Full Version : Painting PVC black to make it thaw faster

red maples
01-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Thinking about PVC freezing up in past years, does anyone else paint PVC fittings black? I had a PVC coupler freeze solid and had to open it up to get the ICE out. now that I am putting in a dry line in and using PVC fittings (sorry Stainless just TOOOOO expensive) I just wanna make sure they thaw fast enough and I don't loose any sap.

any thoughts???

archerybs
01-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Freezing up shouldn't be an issue in a dry line because there shouldn't be any sap in that line. In the case where sap starts flowing before the mainline thaws it should be warm enough not to freeze.

TunbridgeDave
01-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Wow, I usually have the opposite problem. I paint all of our black mainline white where it's in the sun. Especially the bigger lines closer to the sugarhouse.

Is your plumbing set up so it will drain? I leave the Vac on until the sap stops running.

DrTimPerkins
01-07-2013, 11:07 AM
I had a PVC coupler freeze solid and had to open it up to get the ICE out.

Was this under vacuum? If so, it was probably due to a very small leak. Leaks cause localized freezing. Fixing the leak will stop the freezing.

morningstarfarm
01-07-2013, 04:39 PM
I understand how most of us want the lines to NOT absorb any heat...unfortunately red like me has his taps in a low, pretty much flat, swampy area...We need all the thawing we can get as the cold settles in on us and can be a challenge to thaw...I will happily deal with the 3-4 degree warmer sap if I can actually get it out of my lines...that being said, I wouldnt paint anything black...I dont think it will acutally make much difference as they are already gray...just my .02

red maples
01-22-2013, 05:41 PM
yes it is under vacuum and PVC is white. Its possible there was a small leak there letting in a small amount of air to freeze it up. It only happened once!!! not sure what I am gonna do. we'll see!

morningstarfarm
01-22-2013, 07:49 PM
My bad...misread it...was thinking of the gray plastic fittings...