PDA

View Full Version : tapped a few in portageville

mapletrooper2
01-06-2013, 09:22 PM
We tapped today for the one week run we are supposed to get. We put out 400 buckets....have more trees than buckets so we will move them in February. I will let you know....

themapleman54
01-07-2013, 04:35 AM
Good luck andy, bob

Jmsmithy
01-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Where is Portageville Andy? I'm in the South west corner of the Adirondacks, North East of Rome.

Gary R
01-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Mapletrooper2, Good luck with the sap flow! I put mine in tonight.

farmall h
01-08-2013, 06:09 PM
themapleman54, I have not seen caseysugarshack on the trader for quite sometime...did he change his ID? Did he go off and get married? Did he quit sugaring or is he on that "other" maple site. :rolleyes:

hounder
01-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Just got back from dinner and someone in the town of Maine is boiling. Smelled awesome!

whitetail farms
01-08-2013, 07:52 PM
according to caseys facebook page he is still sugaring and hes been working in the woods alot lately to try and get 3000 taps in for this season

bowtie
01-09-2013, 07:51 AM
was looking at forecast and thought about some test taps for this week but say long term and it says we may get lower than average temps until early feb. kind of torn would like to get started but i am realistically not even close to being ready yet. i still have to buy more buckets and storage tanks and get my pre-season cleaning done, but with the warm weather it should be easier. at least i can fire up the pressure washer and clean my tanks and buckets and not freeze my tail off. tryingg for 350 buckets this year on my 2x4, didn ot have time to get a bigger evap ordered, though next year i will have a mason 2x8 ho. hopefully!!
ps keep us western ny'ers on your sap totals this week . it gets earlier every year can you believe i saw dr. tim talking about fall tapping!!:o:o

farmall h
01-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the update whitetail farms.

mapletrooper2
01-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Portageville is in Wyoming County, 50 miles south of rochester. We made about 17 gallons of syrup in four days. My son was happy as he is in college and misses the brunt of the season...he has it in his blood!

Gary R
01-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Mapletrooper2, good job on the syrup. Glad to hear someone else tried it out. We lived in Mt. Morris, just the other end of the park, for two years about 15 years ago.

bowtie
01-16-2013, 07:52 AM
thinking the last weekend of jan is target date for me, but that could change if temps stay down. i would rather catch the first runs and take my chances later. i can always tapped some more trees. going for 300-350 this year and i figure it will take me a couple of days, i am going to pick up some buckets tomorrow and looking for a couple of 275 cage tanks and a 100 gallon tank for collection. last year i used a 210 gallon pick-up tank in the back of my ranger, it worked but a lot of weight on it, hoping to post some pics, not sureif it had anything to do with it but the rear-end had a cracked housing and $1000 later, well anyway not going down that road again. called on a new evap., probably won't happen this year but who knows. i still have a ton of work to do to get ready but i llike doing it on the fly:clean buckets,and tanks again and cut more firewood, buy more supplies, wow this could really turn into a year round deal!!
would like to tour some local shacks always looking for ideas!!

mapletrooper2
02-04-2013, 05:05 AM
I officially bottled 32 gallons in January on my 400 buckets, soon I will move the buckets to new trees!! Replacing my drops and going to use the new leader checkvalve on them, only have about 400 on high vacuum. Hoping to have everything tapped by February 10th, a little early traditionally but hoping the weather man is right!!