PDA

View Full Version : Foxboro

NedL
01-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Relatives in town from southern CA. Tapped a damaged tree so they could see the process. The tree ran. kids were out of their minds. they'll never see that in socal. really looking for the season to begin, now!

Maplesedge
01-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Starting to wonder if every winter is going to be this warm now. Maybe shorter seasons too, like we're becoming a mid-atlantic climate almost.

Figures, trees would be running with temps like this. Kinda want to tap some, but feel it would be crazy if I did. Bound to freeze up again. Maybe? Maybe not? Who knows anymore.

Snowpack would probably limit flow anyway.

But, man! I'm getting pretty itchy.

NedL
01-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Seeiing it drip and then making maple candy for them definitely got the itch going, but I waited last year even with the crazy weather. I'm glad I did. There were enough back to back good days to make it a decnt season. But, I'm just a small timer.

sams64
01-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Well it looks like the cold finally found us. Weather report is showing a couple of warm days during the middle of this week, but generally below freezing for the next 10. If this can keep up until mid February we should be okay. Hopefully the sugar content will stay pretty high as opposed to last year. I am not expert, but would guess as warm as last winter was a good portion of the sugar was already used up by the time I tapped at the end of Feb.

Sam

SeanD
01-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Yes, it looks like a more typical winter.

Sugar was lower for me and I tapped at the beginning of Feb. last year. If your theory is right about the sugar being used up, then we should have been tapping in Jan. and Dec.! Let's hope we don't see anything like that for a while.

Sean