PDA

View Full Version : Greene County Tapping

jcrocket
01-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Just thought i'd start a thread for anyone down here in Greene County. Anyone setting taps now? Temps in the mid forties most of the week.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
01-06-2013, 08:27 PM
I am from southern washington county and have 500 taps for the 2013 season. I am holding off till the later part of the month to tap. I am afraid of tapping too early and not getting the full tilt part of the season.

aunt stellas gardens
01-15-2013, 12:23 PM
I would love to tap here in Washington County. We had such a short season last year and this past year everything has been happening a month early. Maybe the tapping season is a month early too. I would also love to tap our few sugars in Greene but we have no infrastructure to make that happen. Some day when I'm retired and have nothing else to do I'll tap in both counties, but until then I have to stick with the 25-40 taps we use now. Good luck with your season.

llew.williams
01-20-2013, 07:41 AM
I am going to tap on January 27. Been doing the last weekend of January for several years.
I'm going to put in about 75 taps.
This year I put in an 800 ft mainline on high tensile.
No more driving tractor across soft pastures to pick up sap.
This is my first year on vacuum. Had a vacuum pump in some milking equipment.
Bought a Bender releaser from a guy on Mapletrader.
Can't wait to try it out.

Llew Williams
Red Barn Farm

happy thoughts
01-20-2013, 08:14 AM
Up here in the Northern tier, from the 30 day forecast it looks like a more or less normal year. Looks like the weather won't cooperate until mid Feb at least, but I'm keeping a close eye.

All together now- THINK POSITIVE! it's going to be a GREAT year! :D

llew.williams
01-29-2013, 06:14 PM
I am going to tap on January 27. Been doing the last weekend of January for several years.
I'm going to put in about 75 taps.
This year I put in an 800 ft mainline on high tensile.
No more driving tractor across soft pastures to pick up sap.
This is my first year on vacuum. Had a vacuum pump in some milking equipment.
Bought a Bender releaser from a guy on Mapletrader.
Can't wait to try it out.

Llew Williams
Red Barn Farm
January 29th
I've only got 35 taps in so far but what a day. Sap is flowing like crazy. I've been cooking since noon.

Starting Small
01-29-2013, 06:43 PM
Llew-What temp did you guys get to today?