PDA

View Full Version : January thaw

Mogli
01-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Hello folks just wondering looking at the Ithaca ny area forecast if this thaw will bring the onset of the season, has there not been enough of a frost yet.

mapleguy
01-06-2013, 09:41 AM
I think thats exactly what it is an old fashion jan. thaw saw mid to upper 50s here by nxt. wknd. but after that its gonna get cold and snowy. hope thats true, don't really care for this early season stuff seems not normal then again you r talking to an old guy!

daileytapper
01-06-2013, 10:27 AM
It started to give me the pre season jitters too, but weather is showing a drop in the jet stream next week to bring the temps back down to normal.

Mogli
01-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Whew I was hoping so, last year was early enough as it was, starting now would be crazy, the ground is still soft in places here and seeping water. I hope this cold stays for a while behind on getting set up this year.

Mogli
01-06-2013, 11:08 AM
It's been so long since we've seen a normal winter that I was wondering if this was the January thaws I remember from many winters ago.

I think thats exactly what it is an old fashion jan. thaw saw mid to upper 50s here by nxt. wknd. but after that its gonna get cold and snowy. hope thats true, don't really care for this early season stuff seems not normal then again you r talking to an old guy!

red maples
01-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Yeah thaw..... working on tubing through the swamp today when through a thin spot up to my knees almost lost my boot. foot soaked had to double time it back to the house!!! called it quits for today back at it in the AM.

Usually once we get that first cold snap after x-mas it stays until Feb. forecast looks like temps above normal AGAIN!!! even a few low 40's in there too. still a little too cool to think about tapping and the temps do go down again at the end of the 10 day forecast.

Well with warmer temps it means less wood needed to keep the house warm I guess.

Greenwich Maple Man
01-06-2013, 07:22 PM
I think everybody is freaked over last season. Only time will tell. We all kept telling ourselves it was a 'thaw" last year to. Lets just hope that is all it really is.

red maples
01-07-2013, 07:43 AM
just checked the forecast 6 days in a row in the 40's /20's at night before the temp drops down. Please don't be a repeat of last year!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I can't afford it!!!

spud
01-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Yesterday the 10 day forecast showed I was going to have 4 day's in a row with mid 40 temps. This morning it has changed to only two days in the low 40s. By tomorrow it will say no days in the 40s. I am just hoping that 16 inches of our snow would hurry up and melt. It's nice to hear the people in the southern states are now getting some sap. I hope they have a great week and make a lot of syrup. Keep us all posted.

Spud

Mogli
01-07-2013, 11:46 AM
I dont know about wanting all the snow to melt. Its good to have a nice snow base come tapping season helps the trees stay cool and can extend the season. But hopefully this isnt a repeat of last year. But ya it i nice to not have to feed the stove nearly as much with this warm snap.

Jonathan

adk1
01-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Plus, I am going to take the opportunity with the warmer weather this weekend to do alot of stuff. i.e. do a wash/rinse of the sap tank, get the sugarhouse cleaned and organized and flip my pans over, level the arch etc and get that ready. Much nicer to do while it is warm!

Mogli
01-13-2013, 09:12 AM
Well just looked at the weather and no break in this warm front in the 10 day outlook. Will trees start to bud, there is several days in the 50's? and no nights below freezing.

adk1
01-13-2013, 09:28 AM
Well just looked at the weather and no break in this warm front in the 10 day outlook. Will trees start to bud, there is several days in the 50's? and no nights below freezing.
No, the trees in my opinion will not start to bud yet

mapleguy
01-13-2013, 09:38 AM
this week its going to cool down but next week we are supposed to have artic cold . was out repairing tubing yesterday and couldn't believe how little snow was still on the ground, only a week ago had a good 12" saw a black wooly bear whatever that may mean.

Mogli
01-13-2013, 11:33 AM
I thought that arctic cold was supposed to come through, but cant see it in the ten day forecast yet. Just getting nervous after last year

Mogli
01-13-2013, 11:37 AM
well I see what I did now, for some reason it switched my location to my parents town in NC on weather.com, explains why the temps were higher than expected.

adk1
01-13-2013, 11:45 AM
yeah, wouldnt mind the cold snap for 3 weeks, actually 4-5 even. and some snow!

slammer3364
01-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Yeah cold snap coming according to accuweather,also my wife and I went for a walk in woods very little snow and we saw a wooly bear catapillar too

HyeOnMaple
01-15-2013, 05:29 PM
So, in my 10 day forecast The Weather Channel predicts -10 degrees. Is this too soon to tap? (I know I'm a smart aleck, just with all the talk this past week, I had to say something) One poster put it best, "It's still JANUARY." Well, there ya go.

Happy tappin.

Maplehobbyist
01-15-2013, 07:02 PM
Some people tap by the weather conditions, some people tap by the calendar.

For those that say "it's only January", what about last year? Around here the season was over in early March (remember the Summer of March 2012?), so if you didn't tap in January, you lost out on a big part of the season.