PDA

View Full Version : snow plowing on tug hill

maplefrank
01-04-2013, 09:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZR2WbD3Hz0&sns=fb

i cant watch this...dial up.......but i'm told it is good......... i live very close to tug hill

maple flats
01-05-2013, 05:18 AM
Back about 15-20 yrs ago I was in the outdoor boiler business. I sold several units in the Tug Hill area. I remember one I sold in Redfield where we had to go install a replacement gasket on the door. The owner said he had the snow cleared all the way to the furnace. When we got there we could back right up to the furnace, thru a high walled canyon. The snow was about 2'-3' above the roof of our 1 ton work van. The owner said he uses a tractor mounted snow blower and has to blow the snow straight up and let the wind blow it away when it got that deep. Most winters it did. People up there know how to get things done in the winter. The town plows are all huge and they use lots of huge loaders to clean intersections and drift areas.

spud
01-05-2013, 06:57 AM
My back hurts just watching that. I have seen Tompson Pass in Alaska get 6 feet of snow over night.

Spud

daileytapper
01-05-2013, 05:38 PM
What a video. That's about how I felt trying to plow out after our last 16" was dropped, using our four wheeler with tires so bald, the tire chains won't even stay on!

The Sweet Spot
01-06-2013, 07:09 AM
Great video, I remember living in Vanderbilt 76 or 77 when this is how they had to clear a road in Gaylord. Didn't get to see it though, and they didn't have monstor trucks like these. I was told they had to use a chain and two trucks. One to pull the other one out, almost every time. I don't think they had his blade design. I wonder if any of these trucks are still in use?

sugarsand
01-06-2013, 08:39 AM
Maplefrank, you are closer to Tug Hill than we are, but I'm all to familier with winters high on the hill and horror stories of the big snows of years ago.
I used to belong to a hunting camp in Highmarket back country and remember mid winter shoveling of the roof that may not be visible above the snow. It was interesting when the deer started traveling thru the club to get to the deer yard that bordered us.

sugarsand