PDA

View Full Version : Newbie pan question

Jmsmithy
01-04-2013, 06:36 PM
Hello all!

I've been sugaring for 2 of last 3 seasons (last year being a bust). I've made approx gallon or two per year and love it SO much that my wife and I thinking of getting involved on small commercial basis. We have 250 acres in Adirondacks with multiple maple stands.

I've been a "home brewer", just putting sap in large pot(s) and boiling on a lp burner by my barn then finishing in the kitchen. I'm now looking at getting some "real" equipment...

I've been seeing a lot of chat, here and elsewhere (mostly elsewhere) regarding types of pans to get...divided, horizontal, 18 gauge, 20 gauge, 22 gauge etc etc etc....

I'd love any advice you folks can give. I have signed up for the Cornell Co-op classes middle of this month in Lowville NY. Unfortunately I can't get up the the NY Maple Conference this weekend....

Thanks in advance!! :)

BoarsNest
01-05-2013, 07:16 AM
If you haven't already purchased the North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual that would be a great place to start. It covers pretty much everything in the process and will help you with some of the methods and equipment styles that you can think about. In my short time of doing this I've found better to anticpate some growth in the syrup addiction.

Gary R
01-05-2013, 07:31 AM
The first thing would be to determine how much time and money you can spend. This is not a cheap hobby. Then how many taps you can have. If you going commercial your pan questions will probably more like drop or raised flue, reverse or cross flow. Get the manual as Boarsnest recommended. It would probably be best to do a few years with a 2X6 and learn how to handle quantities of syrup.

michiganfarmer2
01-05-2013, 09:49 AM
syrup is made in the woods. Tight, sloped tubing, 3-5 taps on a branch line, and at least 20 inches of vacuum