PDA

View Full Version : New one handed, two hand tubing tool

saekeaton64
01-04-2013, 09:20 AM
I was thinking of a way in which I could easily free up a hand while installing drops.
I decided to use a squeeze type shop clamp as my parallel movement, the cheap vise-grips I bought had two rivets which held the lower jaw on, so I knocked the rivets out and used the holes to bolt the vise-grips onto the shop clamp. The threaded rod connectors are 1/2" thread and were drilled out half way to allow the tubing to slip over the barbs easily.
I have tested this tool a bit and it works well for installing drops as i two handed tool does, but also works well for installing spouts and tees like the one handed tool.

Mike R.
01-04-2013, 09:36 AM
Looks good. I made a tool for putting the drop-lines onto the fittings but haven't got to making one like yours for the lateral line installation. I was thinking of using chanelocks with visegrip setup welded on but your way looks even better. It has a nice parallel action.

6194 6195 6197

G-Unit
01-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Looks good. I like the idea of it being one handed.

maple flats
01-04-2013, 09:38 AM
I hope the tool is strong enough. I've had cheap versions of the tool you started with and out of 6 all six failed in less than a year. I was using them to clamp 2x4's horizontally onto vertical 4x4 when I built the sugarhouse. I hope your s are stronger.

saekeaton64
01-04-2013, 09:44 AM
I think the shop clamp should last for a while, as it takes very little effort to slip the tubing onto the fitting using the tool. The springs in the handle are something that could cause problems later though if they rust up the tool will be shot.

wiam
01-04-2013, 12:33 PM
I think you would have a sore wrist if you use that all day.

saekeaton64
01-04-2013, 04:31 PM
I made 150 drops today without any problems. The clamp provides a great mechanical advantage, very little effort is needed to push the tubing onto the fitting.
If I were to use the tool 1000+ times a day it might be a different story, but so far so good.

lpakiz
01-04-2013, 04:42 PM
I think it is a great idea! Those clamps are pretty tuff and if you get tired using one hand, then use both or switch..
I am always amazed at the resourcefulness of the folks on this site. GOOD WORK!!!

Shaggy acres
02-11-2014, 08:28 PM
What a fantastic idea! I will have one of those built before bed tomorrow. Once again the group resource that is Mapletrader ROCKS! You guys are great!

Deano686
02-12-2014, 04:45 AM
Thats awesome!! I bought all the materials for building a standard two handed drop tool a few weeks ago. Wanted to get it built last week. Boy am I glad I didnt get to it!! This will certainly be the one that I build!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

TheMapleMoose
02-12-2014, 06:09 AM
I would think the key would be a good clamp. We use a ton of them in construction and with some of them, as soon as they get some pressure on them it takes two hands to tighten up. We have a few craftsman clamps that you can create a lot of pressure with one hand before it takes a lot of grip. Great idea though, I'll have to try this!

Deano686
02-13-2014, 04:19 AM
I must say, drilling out the jaws of a pair of vise grips isn't something I want to do right away again!! I ground of the rivets hoping they would just punch through. No such luck. started drilling them out on the drill press, and lets just say I have a few less bits in my index now! they are all ready to attach to the bar clamp. I'll get that done tonight, and they'll be in use in the woods this weekend!! Thanks again for an awesome design!!

wishlist
02-13-2014, 05:37 AM
After seeing some of the " retail " prices on these things I made mine own as well. Really not that difficult , use a drill press and take your time drilling the rod couplers . I've assembled 150 drops with the one handed took so far , works perfect . The 2 handed I made has been tested and will hit the trees today! They both have been painted a bright yellow since I took these pics. :) 87118712

lpakiz
02-13-2014, 08:00 AM
After mis-placing my home-made tubing tool in the woods too many times, I fastened a short length of pink fluorescent flagging tape to a hole in the end of the handle. Now I can see where I left it from a long ways away.....

Yellzee
03-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Thanks for this thread folks, whipped this up quickly and it works pretty good. I have a few improvements to make but it does the job with very little force. Bought all the parts for about 40$

Ittiz
03-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Wow those tools look handy. I'll tell yah my hands get pretty sore after forcing a few fitting together by hand.

maple flats
03-05-2014, 04:25 PM
I hope the plastic jaws hold up. You might need to find the same type of clamp wit metal jaws and frame.

maplestudent
03-10-2014, 01:16 PM
here are a couple of pictures of my wood 2 handed tubing tool, born out of desperation, lack of welder/welding skills, and way overspent maple budget (as usual).

lpakiz
03-10-2014, 09:29 PM
Looks like what you lack in welding skills, you more than compensate in woodworking. Very unique! I like.

Yellzee
03-11-2014, 06:20 AM
The one I made with the clamp doesn't line up well enough and comes out of alignment when forcing the fitting on. Need a redesign with a guide. Can still use it and it's better than just using hands!

Rockport
12-29-2014, 10:45 PM
Thanks ,for confirming my idea ! have a clamp tool just like it and wanted to make it but wasnt sure it would be strong enough.

BobU
01-10-2015, 11:55 AM
I' m kind of cheap sometimes so I made this tool.

lakeview maple
01-10-2015, 01:23 PM
10270 I misplaced my old one so built a new improved model, it isn't real pretty but it works great

theschist
01-12-2015, 11:31 AM
I am building the same thing, but I want to place the jaws of the vice grips as close to the bar as possible to eliminate the sidewards flex incurred when applying force. That may also eliminate your alignment issues. I plan on cutting off the "arms" or "jaws" of the clamp. For the angle iron, I plan on drilling and machining an opening for the bar to fit through. I will post pictures when I am finished. Thanks for the ideas!!