PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning lines

Starting Small
01-01-2013, 07:54 PM
So it just dawned on me that i did not wash out my tubing system from last year. This includes drop lines and taps. I have a very small operation but i was planning on reusing my taps and tubing if at all possible . Should i throw away the tubing, save the taps, and use new tubing this year or will it not matter? My plan is to be around 50 taps and to sell a little this year. I just have no idea if bacteria would be an issue. Thanks

adk1
01-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Some do not wash out their lines, some do. have you looked at the lines to see if you cans see mold in them? Do you have drops and spouts etc attached? Do you use the CV's?

Starting Small
01-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Good questiin...I do not use check valves. I looked earlier today and could not see any mold. But yes the drop lines are still connected fo the taps. Thanks in advance for any advice!

unc23win
01-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Just look over the lines and replace any that look like they have mold or anything in them.

Sunday Rock Maple
01-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Cut the old spouts out and put in the new check valves and have a great year!

spud
01-01-2013, 10:53 PM
If your not on vacuum then cut the old spouts off and use the smart spouts for .15 cents each. It will cost you $6.00 bucks.

Spud

adk1
01-02-2013, 08:12 AM
I would leave the old spouts on and simply start using the CV's. You may want to let the first run of sap drain into a different bucket to rinse the lines first..You can always boil it if it looks ok..Would definatly filter the sap though.

Starting Small
01-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Is a check valve and a smart spout and a stubby all the same thing?

wiam
01-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Is a check valve and a smart spout and a stubby all the same thing?

No. A first gen check valve will go on a stubby or a 7/16 spout. The smart spout goes right in the line and typically gets cut off each year and replaced. With no vac I would go with the smart spout.

Starting Small
01-02-2013, 09:10 AM
I am sorry for the stupid questions, but here is another one. I did some searches for "smart spout" and cannot seem to find them. Is that the actual term and if so who makes them? I currently use the tree saver spouts. I looked at the leader website and could not find a "smart spout." Thanks again for your patience with my limited knowledge on this!

unc23win
01-02-2013, 09:41 AM
IPL Smart Spouts

https://www.bascommaple.com/category/spout_ipl/spouts/

maple maniac65
01-02-2013, 11:25 AM
I do not wash my lines and I do not let the first run out on the ground. Commercial syrup is worth too much these days.

adk1
01-02-2013, 11:39 AM
All CV's go on the Stubbys

Starting Small
01-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Are the smart spouts compatible with the tree saver taps or do the smart spouts themselves go into the tree? I ordered 50 smart spouts from Bascom's just now, I am just hoping I do not need to order anything else to use them. Sort of like using a stubby and then also needing to buy a CV.

unc23win
01-02-2013, 01:06 PM
No you just tap them in then put your line on. The sap comes out of the angled part the other part is where you tap it in with a mallet.

wiam
01-02-2013, 02:07 PM
All CV's go on the Stubbys

Not the second generation

adk1
01-02-2013, 02:23 PM
wouldnt we be on the 3rd generation really? They had a 2009 one that was discontinued? I hope they do not stop making the current CV's cause I am staying with those.

DrTimPerkins
01-02-2013, 02:30 PM
wouldnt we be on the 3rd generation really? They had a 2009 one that was discontinued? I hope they do not stop making the current CV's cause I am staying with those.

Depends upon how you want to count it, but for all intents and purposes there are now two CV versions available: the original CV (black nylon) which requires a stubby and the new CV, one-piece, clear polycarbonate. To my knowledge there are no plans to discontinue producing and selling the original version. The new version is still in somewhat limited supply, but isn't nearly as limited as originally though (although I say this still not having received my own order yet :) ).

OldManMaple
01-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Dr. Perkins
Is there any plan to offer the original in clear?

DrTimPerkins
01-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Dr. Perkins
Is there any plan to offer the original in clear?

That would be a question for Leader Evaporator. I'm not involved in discussions/decisions of this type. If I had to guess, I'd say that it certainly isn't in the cards for this season.

Sunday Rock Maple
01-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Dr Perkins,

Any data on if it's better to keep the stubbies and use the black CV's or cut them off and go with the new clear? We've already bought the black for this year, but I'm wondering about 2014.

Thanks,

Brian

unc23win
01-02-2013, 07:34 PM
I am making the move slowy to check valves myself. I hope to have 3-400 this year. I am not sure which is better the clear or the black. Cutting off the clear one or changing the old one.

It seems that cutting off the new one and replacing it is a lot more work and a few cents more each. And then what about when you pull the taps do you use the T fittings and remove the check valves and put the stubbing on the T? Or do you leave the check valve and use the T Cup?

If you replace the check valve new or old do you A. Replace it at the end of the season or B. Replace it at the beginning of next season? Me I was going to use the old check valves and the T fitting and bring the check valves back to the shed in fear of them falling out in the off season never to be found in the sea of leaves. At least until the new ones came out. Either way I am not to kean on replacing the spout every year. Neither with the cost or the labor involved. Too bad using recycled plastic is frowned upon in the maple world because it sure would be nice to recycle them and save a few dollars.

unc23win
01-02-2013, 08:00 PM
I am making the move slowy to check valves myself. I hope to have 3-400 this year. I am not sure which is better the clear or the black. Cutting off the clear one or changing the old one.

It seems that cutting off the new one and replacing it is a lot more work and a few cents more each. And then what about when you pull the taps do you use the T fittings and remove the check valves and put the stubbing on the T? Or do you leave the check valve and use the T Cup?

If you replace the check valve new or old do you A. Replace it at the end of the season or B. Replace it at the beginning of next season? Me I was going to use the old check valves and the T fitting and bring the check valves back to the shed in fear of them falling out in the off season never to be found in the sea of leaves. At least until the new ones came out. Either way I am not to kean on replacing the spout every year. Neither with the cost or the labor involved. Too bad using recycled plastic is frowned upon in the maple world because it sure would be nice to recycle them and save a few dollars.

adk1
01-02-2013, 08:02 PM
unc23win, the black CV's are really only to be used for one season.

unc23win
01-02-2013, 08:14 PM
unc23win, the black CV's are really only to be used for one season.

Yes I know that is what is said about them. Not everyone replaces them every year. I am not trying to be mean but when its 100 taps versus 1500 it makes a difference of $495 with the old and $560 for the new one. Considering I have 1100 health spiles already I may move to the new ones, but if I did I will wait until they are in my hand before cutting anything off.

DrTimPerkins
01-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Any data on if it's better to keep the stubbies and use the black CV's or cut them off and go with the new clear? We've already bought the black for this year, but I'm wondering about 2014.

In most years the performance will be about the same...with the new CV perhaps being just a wee tad better than the original (there is a very slight "used stubby" effect of about 1-4%). It really depends on the weather. In cold years, the black may do just slightly better than the clear. In hot, sunny years (like last year), the clear will definitely outperform the black. So if you can tell me what the weather will be like this spring, I'll tell you which (I think) might do better.

adk1
01-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Yes I know that is what is said about them. Not everyone replaces them every year. I am not trying to be mean but when its 100 taps versus 1500 it makes a difference of $495 with the old and $560 for the new one. Considering I have 1100 health spiles already I may move to the new ones, but if I did I will wait until they are in my hand before cutting anything off.

Nope I hear you there. I thought about keeping my old CV's but like you said, for the # of taps that I have its not a huge expense..Hell, I aint in this to make money in the first place so I guess its no big deal to me.

Sunday Rock Maple
01-03-2013, 07:14 PM
LOL! - beyond the old joke that "Tonight's forecast is dark, continued mostly dark tonight, followed by widely scattered light in the morning." I can't tell anybody anything about the weather. Thanks for the reply Dr -- I think we'll stay with the black CV's for now (if it ain't broke......)

Brian

nwoods57
01-09-2013, 08:24 AM
Whats the best solution to clean the lines at the end of the season/

wiam
01-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Water .

shane hickey
01-09-2013, 10:08 PM
I have a check valve at the end of main line and i hook up a centricall
Pump and fill the laterals and main lines with alcohol then shut the valve
Off buy the pump and leave it in there all sumer long until next spring.
If theres no liquid in the lines then you know squirrels have chewed the lines.