PDA

View Full Version : black mainline on gravity system

mapleguy
01-01-2013, 11:40 AM
happy new year everyone! Before I go spend a ton of money to replace my black mainline with 30P does anyone have any comment on wether or not it really makes that much difference in sap temperature and quality. Leader claims 7 to 10 degrees difference with their 30p. I have 500 taps on gravity using CVAs quality of saps goes down after about 3 or 4 runs. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated . thanks!

shane hickey
01-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Sap production i havent seen any changes what soever
the 30p takes longer to unthaw then the black.
Theres quite a difference in price. As far as temperture i
Have never checked never seen the point. If theressap there then
Boil it. This is my experience i am sticking with
The black pipe

mapleguy
01-01-2013, 12:30 PM
hey shane, how long are your laterals leader tells me to have 5 to 10 taps per. line and keep them as short and straight as possible and to increase the amount of main line so as to keep lats shorter any comments/

shane hickey
01-01-2013, 01:35 PM
I have max 5 taps on laterals before my main line and no longer
Then 25 foot most are shorter then that. I wouldnt say that most of my are
straight because some laterals turn 90 degrees to the
next tree. I dont know if it does but i hope this helps.
Woods on vacume i do a little differnt. But still use
Black pipe for my wet and dry lines.

TapME
01-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Mapleguy. I have 75+ on 3/4" black mainline. I have never had an issue with the sap being nothing but clear until later in the season. Now using cva's on the line I have no comment at this time. Thinking of using them this year to see if I can increase sap on my gravity line. I know in the begining when produces used black mainline and were concered with the increase in temp they would put gloves on and paint there lines a lighter color. Hope this helps.
PS. your climate may be a lot different than ours here and make a big difference in the sap temp in the lines.

Greenwich Maple Man
01-01-2013, 04:38 PM
I have both blue and black for mainline. It is 100% untrue that black pipe causes lesser quality sap. If your sap is sitting in the mainline that long than you have bigger problems. I know guys with 20 and 30 k taps that run all black pipe. 80% of there crop is light syrup. That is a 100% sales line to sell blue mainline.

adk1
01-01-2013, 07:08 PM
I agree my black mainline is the way to go. I found it easy to work with if u put it up in warmer weather. It was also easy to use my mainline tool to creat the holes for the saddles. I have a cold bush so I want the black to aid in thawing

spud
01-01-2013, 10:46 PM
If your goal in sugaring is to make money then black pipe is the way to go. Black pipe thaws much faster. Black pipe cost less then half the price of 30P. A down limb or tree will crush your 30P as quick as your black pipe so the cost to replace or fix will be higher. Although the quality of the 30P is very good it really is not needed. I think this is just a sales pitch by telling people there is a 7-10 degrees difference. There is no way that claim is true unless your mainlines have zero grade to them. Thirty years ago we had blue, black, white, orange and gray mainlines in our woods. Our sap temps were all about the same and the quality of our syrup was great. Every dealer will tell you something different but at the end of the day you have to do whats best for your operation. Sugaring can be a money pit if you listen to everything a dealer tells you.

Spud

shane hickey
01-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Hit the nail on the head spud

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-02-2013, 04:44 AM
80 % of my pipe is black and 10 years old. I made 15 gal of fancy last year. Thats all I'll buy when I go to expand

wiam
01-02-2013, 09:09 AM
80 % of my pipe is black and 10 years old. I made 15 gal of fancy last year. Thats all I'll buy when I go to expand

Where do you get it. Is 10 year old pipe cheaper?:lol:

unc23win
01-02-2013, 01:02 PM
The Black water line is for sure cheaper. I think it is a little easier to work with as well it seems to unroll easier. I also beleive the black thaws better and I am not sure the temperature changes are true. Another advantage is that it is found more places in a variety of lengths. Sometimes local suppliers require you to buy larger lengths and some non local aren't able to ship the longer lengths. With saddles I prefer to have my mainline as long as possible with no splices why make splices when you don't have to. Granted handling a 2500' roll can be challenging it can be done.

red maples
01-02-2013, 04:08 PM
yeah go black water pipe. I do like to use the blue pipe for connections in some spots for vacuum so I see if there are leaks(although....you putting in more fitting and increasing the spots for leaks) but I am going to use it for the whips to connect my dry lines to my wet lines. it doesn't kink quite as easy as black does.

the quicker your lines thaw the quicker your collecting sap period. as long as boiling within 48 hours of collection the temp isn;t going to make a difference and it minimal anyway.

but yes dealers will try to sell you what ever will make the company money. Had a Salesman from a big maple company try to say that its economical to change the drops every year instead of using the CV's yeah what ever. tubing, T's TIME making them and installing them every year...yeah right. what ever. but thats just me if you like to change your drops every year more power to you!!! :)

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Where do you get it. Is 10 year old pipe cheaper?:lol:
if you find an old farm go ask them if yo can buy the old pipe from them, rinse it out really well and throw it up.

mapleguy
01-05-2013, 01:10 PM
okay what kind of slope should I have on my mainlines? If you say 2% lets say then 2% of what?

Mark
01-05-2013, 05:13 PM
okay what kind of slope should I have on my mainlines? If you say 2% lets say then 2% of what?
The drop is 2% of the horizontal distance.

adk1
02-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Mark, checked out your website. very cool operation you have. First I have visited using woodchips.