PDA

View Full Version : Look like 24 Taps this year!

DonMcJr
01-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Looks like my Half Pint is gonna be busy this year.

Just made a map of the trees I'm gonna tap and this year it's gonna be 24 Taps and I can expand next year too!

http://www.michiganoutdoorsman.com/MOPhoto/albums/userpics/10005/normal_TapMap.jpg

maple flats
01-01-2013, 04:09 PM
You can handle it fine. My first year (using a half pint) I started with 29 taps and every few days I added as I found I could keep up. I was at 69 taps when a real run hit. That was too many, I boiled for 60 hrs straight (with help). Then I decided a 2x6 was in order.

DonMcJr
01-01-2013, 05:00 PM
I really only got good sap from 4 Taps last year so six times what I got last year would be 12 gallons of Syrup...I think thats good for this year!

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
01-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Ahhh, you wont know buisy on a half pint until you run 101 on it... :rolleyes: Like me... :lol:

shane hickey
01-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Cool don it looks like you can have alot more
Taps if you wanted to. Good luck this apring

Starting Small
01-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Sounds like to keep your sanity 50 is the max for a half pint/2X3 Mason. Good to know for my own mental health!

Four D Acre Farms
01-09-2013, 06:39 AM
Good luck don you can handle it i started 3 yrs ago with 40 taps and a 2x2 syrup pan off a buddies rig that he had replaced made 12 gallons and was adding taps as i went (my trees have been groomed for venier wood before i bought the place so trees are tall but small tops not great for sap yeilds) second year ended with a little over 200 taps (adding as the season went on) quit early (ran out of wood and tired) also had added 2 buffet pans as preheaters. last year 2 1/2 x 8 evaporator feed by 725 gal head tank well we all know how the season was last year. this year should be about 1100 taps and add help to boil as needed during the day, again i say you can handle it with patience and a blessing from the spouse and understanding from the boss. oh yea the more you read these posts don you are just starting out but see where everyone seems to be going so enjoy the ride cause it sounds like you are like the rest of us start planing on that bigger rig lol nate

TerryEspo
01-09-2013, 07:39 AM
I like the pond in the picture !!

DonMcJr
01-09-2013, 07:54 AM
Looks like I got lucky... I have 2 pinched nerves in my right arm and have to get surgery and cut in 3 different places:cry:

Where's the lucky part? The Surgery isn't going to be til late April sometime...so since I can use the arm for light work I can still tap and boil!

If I woulda got it now I'd been done...cast for 3 weeks and PT for at least two months before I can lift 5 lbs...UGH this is NOT gonna be fun...