PDA

View Full Version : 5/16 tubing, as drops and mainline,,,efficient install ??

TerryEspo
12-31-2012, 02:59 PM
I hate to drag a subject, lol,,,but will.

Dr. Tim has a great diagram chart that shows different sap totals useing different metheods of running lines. But, the test was with larger mainlines and also vacuum.

I am wondering if useing all 5/16 as drops (laterals) AND mainline, no vacuum, if anyone knows any magic numbers say like 5 lines that join into the main, maybe all individual lines join the mainline (lots joints on mainline).

Does long drops and short laterals make a differance ? Maybe two short drops into a long, steep grade lateral into the main makes good vacuum? I can paly a bit with my tap and lateral heights, not so much with my mainline height.

I know nothing but am thinking to sacrafice some tube and put one real high drop (lateral) that will travel far and fast until it hits the mainline. Kinda like a ram !! That RAM drop (drip) could be put anywhere into the main, not sure if near the begining (high end) of the main , or near the far dripping end will improve flow and natural vacuum?? Maybe all that air on a super long run will hurt natural vacuum. I am so confused !!

I promise not to start anymore posts on 5/16 tubing this season, LMAO !!

I just want to do the best I can with what I have.

Thanks Everyone.

Terry

unc23win
12-31-2012, 03:23 PM
On 5/16" line which we call laterals the most taps without vaccum is like 15 taps per line with vacuum it is less. Now have people had more on a line? Heck yea in the old days maybe 100 or more before all the fancy mainline entrances and all the various sizes of mainline. Basically for you just wanna break yours up in groups. You can have a long 5/16" line chances are it won't take many taps to make it run full.

SevenCreeksSap
12-31-2012, 07:41 PM
I believe the best way to run 5/16 for natural vac is to just run the line as a long lateral, with your single lines running from end tree to tank with just your drops. You may end up with more than one line, but depending on the size of your trees maybe as many as 25 per line.Probably depends on your slope, with flatter probably draining somewhat slower. I ran several with 19/20 drops and they didn't seem backed up, but I have a steep hill.
The papers say its best to have a good drop near the end at the barrell. as the line fills and creates suction it pulls more from the tree. you want suction like a siphon, I wouldnt think a "ram" is what your after. you can only force so much through the tubing, but suction will pull more. the old saying is you cant push a chain.

For some reason that seems to affect the natural vacuum, maybe turbulence in the line or a blocking air bubble, you dont want "flying T's, which is a long lateral with sverral drops off of your 5/16 "main". I tried that too and it definitely seems to hold the sap there in that line instead of creating the natural vacuum.

sutphenj
12-31-2012, 07:53 PM
I ran 17 taps using all 5/16 running into essentially 2 lines that dumped into a cage tank last year. Worked pretty well...collected about 300 gallons of sap.

adk1
01-01-2013, 11:03 AM
300 gallons on 17 taps I would say that is awesome! Hell, I dont think I got much more than that all season on my 120 taps on gravity last year! haha

TapME
01-01-2013, 02:57 PM
A fellow sugar maker in my area had 50 taps on a 5/16 line in 2011 and the sap woould flow at a rapid rate through the line. I at the time was thinking how great it would be to take a video of it and I did. check it out on saphauler channel on you tube. that year they were collecting between 75-100 gallons a day if I remember right. Mainely Maple could answer that better than I could. Go and check it out

sutphenj
01-01-2013, 05:49 PM
I was also surprised at the amount of sap as I just kind of threw the lines up not really knowing what I was doing. That being said I do have a pretty decent slope that might of helped with some natural vacuum....probably 25-30ft drop from top to bottom. Here's to hoping I get the same results in 2013. Going from 17 to 115 taps.

SandMan
01-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Wow, 300 gal on 17 taps! That must be some type of sap /gravity record!