PDA

View Full Version : Teflon tape on fittings?

psparr
12-31-2012, 06:36 AM
Just about done making my evaporator and pans. My question is, should you use pipe tape on the fittings (draw off valve, thermometer port etc.)
or will the sugar seal them off? Thanks.61546155

Tweegs
12-31-2012, 07:40 AM
I used the tape on all fittings, the high temp tape. Don’t know that the high temp is really necessary, but it was cheap enough and thought “what the heck”, especially for the flue pan drain fitting since it is right in the fire.

spencer11
12-31-2012, 07:42 AM
i used teflon tape on all mine, i really hope it was a good idea cause i dont want to have to take all the valves and everything off again

lpakiz
12-31-2012, 07:55 AM
Tape, or other sealants on pipe threads, not only aids in sealing. Probably just as important is the lubrication of the threads. All metals, especially SS will "gall" when subjected to extreme pressure and movement, like when you tighten two fittings together. This will surely wreck the threads. Some type of lube is a must on most pipe fittings.

palmer4th
12-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Thats all I used last year and it worked just fine, Think you will get enough draft with that stack? Double the length of the arch is the rule I believe?

psparr
12-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Thats all I used last year and it worked just fine, Think you will get enough draft with that stack? Double the length of the arch is the rule I believe?that was just a pipe I threw on for looks. It has an 8 inch collar. My worry with the tape was just contamination of the syrup. Everyone is always worried about off flavors.

Another question I have is cleaning a new made pan?