PDA

View Full Version : To much head pressure for float box

phil
12-30-2012, 06:23 PM
i have a 200 gal head tank and when it is full it will it will not shut complete off.but with only two feet it will. Anyone know a trick to fix this. The bottom of the tank is at the float box. but the top is about six feet above that. it is a tall cylinder tank. different gasket on flapper? bigger float itsself to put presure on flapper?

adk1
12-30-2012, 07:04 PM
why would you fill it? That is allot of tank to be used as a head tank. What kind of line runs into it? Is it flexiable to where you could use some kind of devise to squeeze the pipe to lessen the pressure but still allow the evap to get the sap it needs?

Timberwolf
12-30-2012, 07:22 PM
You could use a water pressure reducing valve, though they are relatively expensive. I would just not fill the tank unless you need to for some reason.

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Put a valve in the line and partially shut it.

Flat Lander Sugaring
12-31-2012, 04:33 AM
Put a valve in the line and partially shut it.

ding ding ding TTF hit the gopher in the head.

I used to have a 500 gal milk tank as a head tank not much higher than the preheater never had a problem, rigged up a 100 gal tank last year at 6' above preheater and lucky I put a ball valve in-line. when tank was full almost shut as tank emptied i would open up more

wiam
12-31-2012, 10:24 AM
My float valve does not shut off completely, but it leaks less than I can evaporate. I turn it on after i get a good boil going and it has never been a problem. I would rather have it leak a little than try to remember to open a valve. That is why there is a float.

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-31-2012, 12:52 PM
My float valve does not shut off completely, but it leaks less than I can evaporate. I turn it on after i get a good boil going and it has never been a problem. I would rather have it leak a little than try to remember to open a valve. That is why there is a float.

Take it from someone with 50+ years boiling experience, Do not trust your float valve to either not leak or to always open properly.

michiganfarmer2
01-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Take it from someone with 50+ years boiling experience, Do not trust your float valve to either not leak or to always open properly.thats for certain. I check my float valve a dozen times an hour. I am constantly walking around and checking EVERYTHING while boiling.

ericjeeper
01-05-2013, 10:32 AM
unless my thinking is totally obscured. A partially closed valve will not solve the issues. As eventually the pressure of the water will equalize. A pressure regulator has a diaphragm and a spring involved?