PDA

View Full Version : Advice on my next step...

Starting Small
12-29-2012, 06:28 PM
So last year I had about 35 taps, I might go to 50 this year but definitely no more at this point. I am wondering what you all think my next investment should be. I have a $500 budget for this upgrade/addition. So spend my money for me!!! Below is a list of what I have. I would like to sell some syrup this year which would be a first for me. Thanks for the advice!

-Mason 2 X 3 Hobby Evaporator with ceramic arch paper, fire bricked, 3 section flat pan
-Blower for evaporator
-Thermometer installed in Evaporator
-Hydrometer with cup
-Just about all of my taps are on tubing but not in the same location, 5 here, 10 there, etc.

My initial thoughts but feel free to have some fun and throw in your own ideas on how to spend my money!
1. Sell my 2 X 3 setup and go with a slightly larger evaporator but with last year we had such little sap I had to wait for enough sap to boil.
2. Purchase a filter tank ($200) or a filter press
3. A finishing tank ($500)
4. Skimmer ($30.00)
5. Anything else I cannot think of?

SevenCreeksSap
12-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Of course all just my humble and not the most experienced opinion.

with your number of taps and if you were waiting on enough sap, sounds like you might have enough of an evaporator, (for now) though its never really enough is it?

If I had 500 right now, my next purchase would be a finishing pan with steam pan under it, or a water jacketed bottler.with the flat filter rack on top. Seems like the better product you can turn out at that end is what makes your business. and whats left over get some more jugs or bottles, whatever you use.

There. easiest 500 bucks I ever spent for someone.

Potters3
12-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Get a 2 cone filter tank, you need to filter good if you are selling and it works good for canning as well.
I have one that I leave set up on a old gas stove, fits perfect over 2 burners, it filters for me and I can reheat and can in the same spot and unit.

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
12-30-2012, 07:19 AM
You have the evaporator, which should be fine especially with a blower and the arch paper, for only 50 taps...I ran a half pint last year on 101 taps... Not easy, not quick, but I got to boil alot :) I would concentrate some money into the woods. You said that your trees are spread out-5 here 10 there-etc. I know how that is. I would get your tubing set up, maybe if they are fairly close together collection points, work on getting sap together more in one spot. I would then buy a filter tank/bottler of some sort. I know that you can buy a round pot/bottler for about $160, and you can bottle away. If you want to filter and bottle in the same tank get a single cone filter rack and you will be able to just bottle out of that...
When you are done shopping just save the rest, and put it towards other things next year, maybe 100 taps?? :rolleyes: They say to spend your money in the woods first because you have to have sap from the woods to make syrup.

adk1
12-30-2012, 07:26 AM
That is good advice Clark and very true

spencer11
12-30-2012, 07:51 AM
i would go with what clark said, the woods makes you money. spend some money in the woods puting out more taps or making whatever you have for tubing more convienet. i got a filter unit from wegner metal works for around $250 for the pan with filter rack and thermo fitting, and that price included shipping, then you can use flat filters and bottle out of it

NH Maplemaker
12-30-2012, 09:48 AM
I would buy the Hydrometer and cup! If your going to sell syrup the density has got to be right ! If your state is like New Hampshire,when the word gets out you are selling syrup maple inspector will be around shortly. Not a bad thing. JimL.

Starting Small
12-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Thank you all! This is great advice. Finding value in the woods definitely makes alot of sense. Is the round top/bottler or the wegner metal filter unit made specifically for maple syrup, like something I could find at Leader or Mapleguys? Or is it something that you converted to work for sugaring? Thanks again, great advice here!

Starting Small
12-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Thanks NH, I should have been more clear, those are the things that I have, I do have the hydrometer and cup. These are the things I already have, sorry for the confusion!
-Mason 2 X 3 Hobby Evaporator with ceramic arch paper, fire bricked, 3 section flat pan
-Blower for evaporator
-Thermometer installed in Evaporator
-Hydrometer with cup
-Just about all of my taps are on tubing but not in the same location, 5 here, 10 there, etc.

spencer11
12-30-2012, 10:24 AM
the canner from wegner metal works is custon built for syrup

heres the website-

http://wegnermetalworks.com/products?category=Finishing+Pan

Starting Small
12-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Interesting, what is the benefit of using a flat filter instead of a cone filter?

spencer11
12-30-2012, 11:50 AM
dosent plug up as fast

adk1
12-30-2012, 07:17 PM
yeah, plus, the more you add to your woods etc you will figure out yourself what you will then need in order to keep up.

Starting Small
12-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Ok, so here is what I am thinking...
1. Invest in the woods through finding areas to tap with trees closer together to get most of my taps on tubing in 2 locations instead of 5 like I did last year. (Free)
2. Getting larger containers to store the sap in so I am not tripping over 5 gallon buckets all the time. ($20)
3. Get one large food grade container for the majority of the sap to drip into. Not sure yet how I will get the sap out of my large barrel and into managable travel containers since I do not have a truck to transport the sap. ($20)
4. Purchase a filter tank/bottler. Is the extra $50 it would cost for the thermometer worth it? $236 includes tank, filter cone boot, and prefilter papers. $286 with thermometer.
How does this sound to everyone? Thanks!

spencer11
12-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Ok, so here is what I am thinking...
1. Invest in the woods through finding areas to tap with trees closer together to get most of my taps on tubing in 2 locations instead of 5 like I did last year. (Free)
2. Getting larger containers to store the sap in so I am not tripping over 5 gallon buckets all the time. ($20)
3. Get one large food grade container for the majority of the sap to drip into. Not sure yet how I will get the sap out of my large barrel and into managable travel containers since I do not have a truck to transport the sap. ($20)
4. Purchase a filter tank/bottler. Is the extra $50 it would cost for the thermometer worth it? $236 includes tank, filter cone boot, and prefilter papers. $286 with thermometer.
How does this sound to everyone? Thanks!
yes you would need a thermometer if you used it for bottling, since it has to be 180*-190* to seal right, is that price for a cone filter pan or flat filter pan?

Starting Small
12-30-2012, 08:51 PM
This price would be for a cone filter pan. Here is the link http://www.wfmasonwelding.com/filtertanks.html I know the cone might be less than ideal but it seems like it would save some money over a flat by about $80. Does a flat need an equivelent of the filter cone boot?

Hop Kiln Road
12-31-2012, 06:18 AM
I think small producers have much to gain from maple orchards. Like an apple orchard, fertilizing annually and thinning when possible, to achieve better crowns and high quality sap production. This is very inexpensive and will show dramatic results in less than 5 years. If I were doing a 25 to 50 tap operation, I would definitely do buckets on choice trees so long as the terrain was, ah, forgiving. I think buckets produce more and better quality sap per tap than tubing. Buckets also show the small producer the superior trees in terms of sap volume and sugar content.

spud
12-31-2012, 06:35 AM
[QUOTE= I think buckets produce more and better quality sap per tap than tubing.

Bruce- I see you have a gravity set up. I can assure you that if you were to buy a two stage vacuum pump for your operation you would get 2-3 times the sap you are getting now. In my woods there is a 2.6 gallon difference between buckets and high vac. You are right in saying that with buckets you can see what each tree produces and the amount of sugar it gives you. If I had your size operation I would run 1 1/4 wet/dry system and no more then 2-3 taps per lateral line. I would buy a 3hp two stage pump and run 27+ inches all the time. I would be able to inspect every tap everyday for possible vacuum leak. If you were to do all that you could make .5-.6 GPT of syrup. Your operation could make you 135-160 gallons of syrup each year. As far as the quality of sap there is nothing better then tubing and new spouts to maintain the highest of quality of sap.

Spud

spencer11
12-31-2012, 07:47 AM
i agree with spud, if you put it on tubing you can eventually add vac, i only have 35 taps on vac this year, and and around 80 on gravity tubing, then having that and more on vac next year because its already set up on tubing

Greenwich Maple Man
12-31-2012, 08:27 AM
[QUOTE= I think buckets produce more and better quality sap per tap than tubing.

Bruce- I see you have a gravity set up. I can assure you that if you were to buy a two stage vacuum pump for your operation you would get 2-3 times the sap you are getting now. In my woods there is a 2.6 gallon difference between buckets and high vac. You are right in saying that with buckets you can see what each tree produces and the amount of sugar it gives you. If I had your size operation I would run 1 1/4 wet/dry system and no more then 2-3 taps per lateral line. I would buy a 3hp two stage pump and run 27+ inches all the time. I would be able to inspect every tap everyday for possible vacuum leak. If you were to do all that you could make .5-.6 GPT of syrup. Your operation could make you 135-160 gallons of syrup each year. As far as the quality of sap there is nothing better then tubing and new spouts to maintain the highest of quality of sap.

Spud

Vacuum tubing will smoke bucket production. As far as sap quality , the sap is in a enclosed tube on vacuum. I can' think of a better way to keep it clean. There is nothing wrong with either way. Making a living sugaring I know that if it wasn't for vacuum I wouldn't even bother.

Hop Kiln Road
01-01-2013, 06:58 AM
Guys, seriously, this gentlemen's thread asked about inexpensive improvements to a 25 to 50 tap operation with a 2x4 evaporator. The pinch point in his operation is his evaporation rate. My point is it makes a huge difference whether he puts 1.6% or 3.4% sap into his evaporator and he can control that with little cost. Spud, I would like to discuss your points about my slightly larger operation on another thread when I have a minute. Bruce

heus
01-01-2013, 07:10 AM
[QUOTE=spencer11;197597]the canner from wegner metal works is custon built for syrup

heres the website-

http://wegnermetalworks.com/products?category=Finishing+Pan[/QUOTE
I have two of Andy Wegner's 15x15 finishing pans with filter trays and lids. They work very well and are well made. However I need to go bigger pretty soon.

spencer11
01-01-2013, 09:02 AM
[QUOTE=spencer11;197597]the canner from wegner metal works is custon built for syrup

heres the website-

http://wegnermetalworks.com/products?category=Finishing+Pan[/QUOTE
I have two of Andy Wegner's 15x15 finishing pans with filter trays and lids. They work very well and are well made. However I need to go bigger pretty soon.
heus let me know if you decide to sell one, i might like to get another one