PDA

View Full Version : Throwing in the Towel in St. Lawrence Co.

ibby458
04-12-2006, 06:05 AM
No freeze for the last 3 nights, and none predicted for the next 4 days. We pulled all the metal buckets, gathereing whatever was in them, ending up with a grand total of 55 gallons from 280 buckets. Still have to pull the plastic tubing/pail sets in the other bush. Might get enough to fire the evaporator for. THey run a bit better in late season than the road trees.

I've been too busy to keep good records, but I got a pad full of notes that I need to translate into my record book. Definately a record year for us, but every year is a record year when you double in size each season. I think we did a bit better than a quart/tap, but not a lot more than that.

We're either going to have less taps next year, or a bigger evaporator. I'm tired of 16 hour boiling days. I did find out that I'm losing 80 of my roadside taps to the firewood market, which makes it impractocal to gather another 40 or more. I could make it up in another bush, but I'm not sure that I will.

Also discovered that I need a remedial course in basic counting. I thought I had put out 325 buckets, but only picked up 280. Since it's unlikely that I misplaced 45 trees, I must have miscounted.