PDA

View Full Version : New Evaporator

Super Sapper
12-27-2012, 05:34 PM

My new pans should come either tomorrow or next Wed. so I thought I would finally post some pictures of the 2 X 6 that I built. The tires are just on a shaft run through under the firebox. It is removable and only to move the Evap. out of the garage to fire it up. Some of the things That I did different than what I have read on here are using unistrut for grates. They should work the same as angle iron and will hold more ash to insulate them.
I also used some left over Stainless steel to protect the blanket in the firebox as I had it laying around. I will see how it holds up, if not I'll get some firebrick. I cut the bottom out of a steel drum and cut that in half and welded it together for the stack base. Seems good enough for now but I will have to upgrade next year. Hopefully I can do a test boil in the next week. This is addicting, my father even made a small evaporator out of a wood stove to do some batch boiling.

heus
12-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Looks good SS. Congratulations and good luck.

Super Sapper
12-28-2012, 09:12 AM
I just got my pans. They look great except that both of them are V flued. The Flues are 1 1/2 inches deep and 2 1/2 inches apart. Will I be able to use the syrup pan as is? The flues make it the same surface area as a 30 by 24 pan. If this will not work, could I raise the flue pan about 1 inch so the syrup pan would be 1 inch deeper (say 2 1/2")?

Sunday Rock Maple
12-29-2012, 07:19 AM
I don't think you'll want flues in the syrup pan --- perhaps you can sell that one and have another made before the season starts?

Super Sapper
01-05-2013, 04:16 AM
6206I did a test boil on it yesterday and it makes a lot of steam. I raised the flue pan 3/4 inch and tht make the syrup pan run at 2 1/4" while the flue pan was at 1 1/2". It took about 15 minutes to get a boil in the back pan and another 10 to get the front pan to a full boil. At least I thnk they were at full boil as I could not see through the steam. I ran it for 1 hour and am not sure on boil rate as I just kept dumping 6 gallons at a time in every so often but it should be around 20 gallons per hour if not more. I did find a white precipitate in the bottom of the V's on the syrup pan so niter may be an issue with sap. What is recommended to clean new pans? I think I have read to use baking soda (a caustic) and then vinegar next.

maple flats
01-05-2013, 04:59 AM
The syrup pan wants to be flat bottom, BUT, about 8 maybe 10 yrs ago, Glen Goodrich said he had a 6 x 18' flue pan and used no flat pan, boiling concentrate. The biggest issue I see is if the V bottom pans have the V in parallel with no joining equally deep channel for the heavier concentrate to move towards draw off. If the V's are each individual and separated from each other I'd either sell the front pan or have the bottom removed and weld a new flat bottom. Do you have any partitions?
As for cleaning, it is the other way around, use white vinegar and then baking soda (or rinse several times with lots of clean potable water)

wiam
01-05-2013, 06:03 AM
The syrup pan wants to be flat bottom, BUT, about 8 maybe 10 yrs ago, Glen Goodrich said he had a 6 x 18' flue pan and used no flat pan, boiling concentrate. The biggest issue I see is if the V bottom pans have the V in parallel with no joining equally deep channel for the heavier concentrate to move towards draw off. If the V's are each individual and separated from each other I'd either sell the front pan or have the bottom removed and weld a new flat bottom. Do you have any partitions?
As for cleaning, it is the other way around, use white vinegar and then baking soda (or rinse several times with lots of clean potable water)

AT that time (8-10) years ago Glenn had a 6x15 all flue with a 3x10 finisher beside it.

Super Sapper
01-05-2013, 06:13 AM
It has 3 dividers running front to back and the V's run parallel with them. I appreciate the advice from everyone and it was not what I wanted but am trying to make it work if possible. I think I will need a float box this year so I can keep tabs on the level as I can not see the liquid while it is boiling. I was planning on waiting as I have a lot more to get done yet.

schellmaple
01-05-2013, 08:00 AM
I had pretty much the same pan I boiled on for two years and it worked for me. I only had one pan. I was able too draw syrup off with it. I ran mine at about 3/4" over the peaks in the pan. I built a flat pan for this year and I think it will be a little easier to draw from but I guess I will have to wait and see.