PDA

View Full Version : Stir while heating syrup in a "water-jacketed bottler?"

buck3m
12-27-2012, 02:59 PM
If I nestle a 16 quart pot inside a 20 quart pot with water in between them, will any more sugar sand be created if I keep the syrup below 190 deg. but the water gets up to boiling? Seems like the potential problem would be a small amount of syrup just next to the wall getting over 185. The reason I want to do this is so I don't have to stir continuously like I normally do.

Dave Y
12-28-2012, 06:40 AM
you never have to stir syrup when reheating ever. I bottle hundreds of gallons of syrup each year and do not have a niter problem from reheating. I dont have a water jacketed canner.

buck3m
12-28-2012, 12:30 PM
More than once I've had reheating result in a new batch of nitre. Isn't that what a water-jacketed bottler is designed to prevent?

If you get by reheating without a water-jacketed bottler and without getting new sugar sand, what's the secret?

Jeff E
12-28-2012, 03:35 PM
I reheat filtered syrup on a small LP fired pan. I bring it up to 190 and then transfer into a water jacketed bottling unit. I have in 2 years bottled many drums of syrup in Glass, and have not had to refilter the syrup. I think the key is starting with filtered syrup, and not reboiling. Just get it to 190 and no higher.
By the way, the reason for heating on the LP fired unit is it is way faster than the water jacketed in bringing the syrup up to temp.

Dave Y
12-28-2012, 04:58 PM
I always start with syrup that has be run thru the filter press off the evaporator. when i bottle i heat the syrup to 160, and run it thru the filter press. then pump it in to the canner and continue to heat to 180.degs then bottle, crystal clear.