PDA

View Full Version : Mold

Birdland Sugarbush
12-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Just cracked open a quart bottle (bacon) that I made earlier this year. There's a film of mold on the top. I had seen this on one other half point bottle (bacon).

Anything I should be aware of when bottling to make sure this doesn't happen again? Syrup is to temperature, I used a coffee urn to make sure I kept the syrup hot. I put the bottles on their sides or tops for a few minutes to kill bacteria and seal them.

Chris

Mike in NY
12-26-2012, 11:41 AM
did you get a good seal? when you removed the cap was foil seal still stuck to jug? We have a couple jugs a yr similar to yours,usually the foil did not seal. If I find em I skim the mold and re heat and use for our own use. every jug we sell has a money back guarantee or free exchange. I'd rather give someone a free jug of syrup than have them tell their friends they boight moldy syrup from me. On glass bottles I sterilize (pre heat) them w/ boiling sap prior to filling

ericjeeper
12-26-2012, 03:25 PM
I tested a coffee pot the other day. it maintained 153° after initial perk.. Not near hot enough to be jarring from.

Birdland Sugarbush
12-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Mike - no, the seal was bad.

Birdland Sugarbush
12-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Eric - yes, but hotter than the measuring cup I used the year before... :)

red maples
12-27-2012, 08:39 AM
yeah I think most coffee pots only hold coffee at 150-165 thats why I could never figure out why they are used. unless they have an adjustable thermostat I guess that would get hot enough???....

but I have had issues with bacon jug seals but I usually catch them when I bottle. The reason I turn the bottles on the side is to make sure the seal is good not sterilize the top the air in the jug is plenty hot enough to do that. I always lay the bottle on its side for a few minutes right after I bottle it really doesn't effect the timing at all just a few seconds to upright the jugs. but I have caught several bad seals that I otherwise would have missed had I not set them on their side.

happy thoughts
12-27-2012, 09:04 AM
One other thing I'd consider is how full the jugs were. Underfilling allows more air in the container and could lead to poor sealing and mold problems.

GeneralStark
12-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Was the syrup at the correct density? If it is light, it is more likely to develop mold.

ToadHill
12-27-2012, 12:14 PM
If the mold is only a skim layer on the surface it is most likely from a bad seal. If the syrup density was to low the mold will tend to form throughout the entire container and it will be more stringy in nature.