PDA

View Full Version : Vermont Sugar makers, post whats happening

Pages : [1] 2

PARKER MAPLE
12-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Hey guys just wanted to start this to get an idea of what everyone else is doing, when we plan on getting started?

Im trying to replace a few items this year to increase sap flow. Also adding on to pick up another 400 taps.
Hope this is a way better year then the last 2. I need a change

Maple Rookie

PARKER MAPLE
01-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Looks like according to the weather on channel 22, might be in for a warm up end of next week. Still to early??????????

HHM-07
01-02-2013, 07:33 PM
You dare ask that question and you are a vermonter????

PARKER MAPLE
01-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Well I was running more lats today and noticed some of the trees that got wind damaged and broken limbs were dripping sap. Even though lastmight was 14below zero, the sun was very powerfull and warm in my sugar lot. Hmmmmmmmm whats in store for next weeks warm up??? The weather guys are predicting near 40 for 3day at tail end of next week, is this going to be the january thaw????/

MR

MapleChaser
01-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Spent the third day pulling our wet/dry up out of the snow. Tomorrow we should have everything back up on the south bush. For some reason the north bush did not get any where near the damage. That section will go a lot faster. Treadin thru 16 inches of snow makes it a lot more fun.

PARKER MAPLE
01-05-2013, 07:34 PM
isnt snow in the sugar woods so enjoyable, especially when you can see the blk mainline and you have to pull up like 1000ft of it. Its a great time. That dam wind storm knocked alot of large branchs down and took out the mainline this Nov. Almost there maybe tomorrow I will be back to where I left off before the damage
MR

Oh me and the famly took a ride today for the hell of it, just to get out of town, went went acroos rt 2 from Barre to St J. and stopped at Goodrichs just for kicks. What an awesome sight his evaporator, and system, Ruth was very nolidgable with every question I asked and Im going to pick up some vac supplys next time im in the area.

MR

sugartree310
01-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Any body tapping yet? I was skidding logs today where I am getting ready to ad more taps and I noticed my neighbor was tapping, just a little early in my opinion for a small operation . I my self was thinking about starting to tap February 1st. What do you all think????

sjdoyon
01-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Looking at next weekend since weather will be a little warmer and we have the CVs so going early is not much of a concern.

sjdoyon
01-06-2013, 11:08 AM
and hopefully we don't get too much more snow. We're on the NE side of the mountain where we typically get less snow then the other slopes.

MapleChaser
01-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Another long day have finally all the wet/dry lines back up from the wind storm. Things are looking better for the Feb. first tapping date. See how this week goes.
MC

PARKER MAPLE
01-06-2013, 05:55 PM
34 38 36 40 44 47 these are the temp the weather girl (fox 22) just forcasted for this week, man should I through up the Stack and start drilling my trees, but, but,but Im not ready yet. :mad:PANICING NOW:confused:.... Need to set tanks and finish up my lines. son of ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hope i dont mess up again this year.:mad:

MR:o

Randy Brutkoski
01-07-2013, 05:56 PM
I might pull the trigger and have my dad start tapping possibly this weekend. I starrted tapping jan. 25th last year and that wasnt too early. Tuff call.

hitnspit
01-07-2013, 07:21 PM
planing to toss in some taps tomorrow and see what we get.. Im same way as above never ready...... planed all year and now the time is here.. Im not ready... ughhhhhhh

maplwrks
01-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Easy rookies---look at next weeks forecast. This weekend would be a better weekend to take in a maple school.

adk1
01-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Mapleworks. nice setup you have

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Mapleworks. nice setup you have

dont tell him that his head is going to get bigger hahahaha hehehehe hey ADK he sold his sap hauling unit last year and up graded.
ADK check you PM

Randy Brutkoski
01-08-2013, 06:40 PM
we are going to start tapping the day after the warm spell. dont need the lines filling up and the freezing for who knows when.

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-08-2013, 06:55 PM
we are going to start tapping the day after the warm spell. dont need the lines filling up and the freezing for who knows when.

so what day is it that when you gonna have the smokin brunette working your chip route? ;)

Randy Brutkoski
01-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Do you want to help her in the stores. You are going to have to get in line.

adk1
01-09-2013, 07:54 PM
dont tell him that his head is going to get bigger hahahaha hehehehe hey ADK he sold his sap hauling unit last year and up graded.
ADK check you PM

I dont have anything in my PM

Vermont Creation Hardwood
01-11-2013, 06:06 AM
I'm tapping. Yesterday I put in about 50 taps, every hole ran. The forecast is for 39 today, 42 Saturday, 43 Sunday, 34 on Monday. After last year's disaster I'm going to try early. I prefer the early runs to the later ones anyway. I'm using the new clear check valves, managed to get one hundred at Leader. Hope to have 150 taps in by this weekend.

The only way to find out if this thaw is worth anything is to try. Otherwise you simply don't know. Last year it ran in January also and the sap was unusable by March. I'm glad I tapped early last year, but not as early as I could have, and not this early. It's an experiment. The sap season is growing progressively earlier and the old tap around the first of March is outdated and useless. There was no usable sap here last March.

01-11-2013, 06:06 AM
Sorry, double post.

PARKER MAPLE
01-29-2013, 03:33 PM
well today lead to many things getting done. All the new lines have new drops cut in. more lats tied in on saddles(which before where on star fitting, saddles shorten the length of the run for me). Tanks are dug out and ready to be washed. tomorrows project. Got the game camera out of the woods a few nice deer on it. New stack is finished up and cover is installed. plumbed for my new head tank just have to go pick it up maybe Sunday. Weather is helping me out looks like a couple more day of cold before I need to start tapping. We might be in for a normal season, that would be a change. When are the rest of you central vermonters looking at tapping???? Got bummed out today after meeting with the power company, they said they could drop a line for power for me until spring, as they will have to put in a new pole. This is free of charge for the pole and the service but what a bummer I wanted vac on this bush this year, oh well one more year with gravity up there. I have been seriously considering putting tacks back on my Polaris Ranger, I should of never sold the ones I had. Its such a hike up to the top part of this sugarbush that buy the time I get up there man Im worn out.

Whats Happening out there in the Vermont Woods anyway???
MR

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-29-2013, 04:57 PM
finishing arch this week, will pull out old arch get new one set and brick it. weekend after will be building the two membrane ro with Thad.

G.Rainville
01-29-2013, 06:17 PM
Just finished plumbing in new sap shed, electrition will be here thursday to finish hooking up vacuum pump and odds and ends. Tomarrow I start tapping after I fix mixer wagon to feed cows.

Randy Brutkoski
01-29-2013, 07:05 PM
My dad has 2000 taps in for me so far. I have been working on all the other things. Might turn the pump on for 1800 taps that are all set to be sucked on.

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-29-2013, 08:01 PM
My dad has 2000 taps in for me so far. I have been working on all the other things. Might turn the pump on for 1800 taps that are all set to be sucked on.
will buy the sap if its not enough for you to boil

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-29-2013, 08:06 PM
BTW, you would have more done if you werent hanging out at that other site trying to beat Thad at the games, just saying

Thad Blaisdell
01-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Now that is funny.

PARKER MAPLE
01-30-2013, 06:06 AM
Flat lander you got any pictures to share of the new rig?? let me no how it goes working with Thad I might see if he is willing to help me with an RO this summer lol.. Good Luck

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-30-2013, 04:39 PM
Flat lander you got any pictures to share of the new rig?? let me no how it goes working with Thad I might see if he is willing to help me with an RO this summer lol.. Good Luck

here you go Rookie
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/poultneyfiredog18/New%20Arch%20Build/

PARKER MAPLE
01-30-2013, 05:00 PM
here you go Rookie
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/poultneyfiredog18/New%20Arch%20Build/

Thanks Flat Lander, man that thing is going to rip. looking very good and a very nice job... let me no how it works. What are you running for air pumps??
I really like the front door
MR

PARKER MAPLE
01-30-2013, 05:03 PM
Anyone tapping yet, feels like spring here

sjdoyon
01-30-2013, 05:09 PM
Stopped into sugarhouse this morning, 40 plus temps today after two weeks of bitter cold. Turned on vacuum pump just in case, not expecting anything due to deep cold last week. Releaser dropping 20 gallons every three minutes. Guess we're boiling tomorrow again. Glad we tapped several weeks ago.

spud
01-31-2013, 05:01 AM
I got 5000 gallons of sap yesterday. I should be all tapped in by Saturday. Sap is testing at just 1.4%

Spud

Potters3
01-31-2013, 05:13 AM
Been waiting and trying to string more lines. We are at 1200 on tubing plan to start tapping on 2/6/13 should be done by the 8th or 9th. This weekend callin some extra help hope to get another mainline up and 5/16 strung for another 150.

GeneralStark
01-31-2013, 09:37 AM
Didn't bite on this recent warm up, but I'm getting ready. Almost done changing drops. They will be all new this year and I will be up to about 400 on tubing. Looks like it will be cold for another week, and then it gets iffy. Long range models are putting us right on the edge of mild and cold air. As much as I would love a cold snowy february, I'm not so sure.

At this point I am thinking about tapping the tubing the second week of february.

sjdoyon
01-31-2013, 06:08 PM
Spent the day boiling, got two barrels done (80 gallons). Cold temps moving in, will keep a look out for warm temps in February. Didn't think we'd get our pans sweetened and two barrels done in January. Hoping not to miss any runs this year.

PARKER MAPLE
01-31-2013, 07:37 PM
sjdoyon Im glad to here some one is making product out there, I have a few more days in the woods left this weekend, then cleaning and setting the tanks and tapping on feb8-9th. Thought I had a line on a vacuum pump but I guess that died out on me so its looking like one more year on gravity this year. WIND is ripping here tonite
Good luck all
MR

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-01-2013, 05:29 AM
Thanks Flat Lander, man that thing is going to rip. looking very good and a very nice job... let me no how it works. What are you running for air pumps??
I really like the front door
MR
Still have the three old stripped down oil burners, debating buying a high pressure fan or sap sucker, maybe both but still have some parts to get for the ro that I'm building.

Helped randy boil last night I was first to draw syrup on his rig this year. It came fast, some guy kept throwing wood in and randy wanted to go to bed. Made 13gal med amber with a maple flavor of daisy pedals in bloom.

maplwrks
02-01-2013, 11:52 AM
That syrup sounds off flavored to me

02-01-2013, 06:05 PM
I tapped during the last January thaw and got a little sap. The syrup was real nice tasting. Yesterday and the day before the sap was running really well. Boiled last night and today. Very nice run. I'm glad I'm tapped and ready. Making syrup in January is wild.

dabamvt
02-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Started tapping today. Earliest since we started sugaring in 1989. Looks like another week or more before the good weather starts.

Randy Brutkoski
02-01-2013, 08:47 PM
It had a fancy flavor with a med. color.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-02-2013, 04:08 AM
It had a fancy flavor with a med. color.

just trying to get people used to the new grading system

sjdoyon
02-02-2013, 08:54 AM
Started tapping today. Earliest since we started sugaring in 1989. Looks like another week or more before the good weather starts.

Two week outlook is for cold weather. I'd be happy with just a normal spring, if there is such a thing anymore.

Homestead Maple
02-02-2013, 01:19 PM
You got that right, What is normal? As long as we don't get summer weather in March, we could get a season that would give everyone, say, at least a quart of syrup per tap. That could be considered normal for most and provide most people with enough syrup.

Chellis Farm Sugaring
02-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Hi everyone
Just finished putting up my last main line with all it's laterals and drops. Now I can clean and check my pans, put out barrels and install the new stack. tapping next sat. if the weather holds true to what the weather man says. will keep everybody updated on how it goes.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-03-2013, 06:32 AM
old arch out today, new one in, hope brick it. will be ready by next weekend, coming up Thad, gotta get ro built.

lakeview maple
02-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Flat Im going to make it over this year I want to see that new arch,and the RO your building with Thad.AL

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Flat Im going to make it over this year I want to see that new arch,and the RO your building with Thad.AL
more than welcome to over Al, I'll be posting when I boil

vtwoody
02-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Re-ran my mainline sunday (took down over summer to drop trees). Moved and finished splitting a bunch of wood to sugarhouse. Looked at everything I need to do to evap and shack to get it ready to function (sigh). Hoping to run my laterals over the next week. Should be ready within two weeks....way ahead of last year at this time...lol

northwoods_forestry
02-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Hey All,

I'm right there with you vtwoody. Sugarhouse is pretty close to ready to go, though I've a bit more plumbing work to do on the new 3x10. I'll be making up drops tonight and hope to get out in the woods to start getting the lines in shape soon. I'm still on the fence about the new pipeline I was going to put in this year. We'll have to wait and see if I can fit that in or not.

I'm pleased to see that the temp forecast over the weekend and next week keeps revising downward. I'm hoping the weather will stay cold until at least Valentines Day!

bairdswift
02-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Flat lander sugaring must of for sucked into this RO he's building... Have not heard from him in days! Been quiet around here everyone must be tapping all day and to tuckered out at night to check in.

Randy Brutkoski
02-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Made 150 gallons of medium amber tonight. eveything went pretty smooth. Its going to be a great year. Still have 1825 holes to drill. Starting them tomorow.

vermontpure
02-16-2013, 10:06 PM
Made 150 gallons of medium amber tonight. eveything went pretty smooth. Its going to be a great year. Still have 1825 holes to drill. Starting them tomorow.Get rolling early and get them all drilled tomorow.

sjdoyon
02-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Second post for our RO was dropped off by our dealer yesterday. Got all the plumbing and electrical done. Should now have the capacity to RO the sap flow.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Get rolling early and get them all drilled tomorow.
with his fancy new sneakers he should be like MJ going through the woods, ohh wait the video game playing takes up a little time in the morning hehe, he left out the 18 pack that was killed and a 1/4 bottle of Crown Royal Maple and two large pizzas from our buddies gas station in Whitehall NY. Pictures to come

Randy Brutkoski
02-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Punched 610 holes in the trees today. Cold, but with my sneakers on , i was lightning fast and never got cold. You are an ahole rusty, but thanks for the pizza and beer.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Punched 610 holes in the trees today. Cold, but with my sneakers on , i was lightning fast and never got cold. You are an ahole rusty, but thanks for the pizza and beer.
guess i will have to post some pictures to live up to my accusation

wsugar
02-18-2013, 05:47 AM
Our hard work seemed to pay off Friday
The sap ran good I spent the day in the woods fixing leaks and checking over everything. We fired the evaporator sat and made 50 gal better than fancy. We made 8 gal of syrup per hr. not so bad on a 2 1/2 by 8 I'm going to increase the concentrate a little I would like to be doing 10 GPh .by the end of the week we should be back at it. I have a few things to tweak and add a few taps

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Our hard work seemed to pay off Friday
The sap ran good I spent the day in the woods fixing leaks and checking over everything. We fired the evaporator sat and made 50 gal better than fancy. We made 8 gal of syrup per hr. not so bad on a 2 1/2 by 8 I'm going to increase the concentrate a little I would like to be doing 10 GPh .by the end of the week we should be back at it. I have a few things to tweak and add a few taps
if you get a chance stop by and check out the TR Industries two tower RO, hey you dont have a large high pressure blower laying around do you?. Will be tapping this weekend. If I have to bucket the concentrate to the float I will using Blue WalMart buckets I bought today for 2.49 a piece.

Randy Brutkoski
02-19-2013, 05:12 AM
Are you trying to get Thad to hate you.

GeneralStark
02-19-2013, 04:47 PM
I'm up to 125 on tubing + my two test buckets. It has been running minimally with the vac. at 26". Look like things may start happening this weekend, and I should be done with the tubing by early next week. The ground is rock solid with many ice flows coming out of the hillside. We have had minimal snow here this winter, so I think it may take a bit for the sap to really start running.

sjdoyon
02-19-2013, 06:52 PM
update to the theft with a possible Vermont connection.

Burlington Free Press

ST. JOHNSBURY — Canadian officials have linked Maple Grove Farms of Vermont to a case in which $20 million in maple syrup was stolen in Quebec.

Mark Bigelow, a Maple Grove manager in St. Johnsbury, declined comment Thursday. A statement released later by the company notes, “Maple Grove Farms purchased the maple syrup in good faith with no reason to believe that it was coming from Quebec or that it may have been stolen.”

The case now involving Maple Grove, which bills itself as the largest distributor of maple syrup in the United States and the world’s leading maple-candy producer, focuses on the siphoning of the equivalent of 10,000 barrels of syrup from a warehouse controlled by the Federation of Quebec Maple Syrup Producers in Quebec. The value of the stolen syrup has been set at $20 million.

The federation has been compared to an OPEC-like cartel that distributes up to 78 percent of the world’s syrup, influences market prices by withholding supply, and maintains a strategic syrup reserve likened to the United States’ strategic-oil reserve.

Maple Grove, reported The Gazette in Montreal, was caught with 12 tractor-trailer loads of maple syrup that came from the syrup stolen from the warehouse in Saint-Louis-de-Blandford, Quebec.

The newspaper report stated Maple Grove in October was visited by Vermont and Canadian police in the investigation connecting the company to the stolen syrup.

The Quebec newspaper Le Soleil reported on its website that the 12 tractor loads of syrup Maple Grove is said to have possessed would equal 700,000 pounds, or about 15 percent, of the 10,000 barrels of stolen syrup.

Chief Clem Houde, of the St. Johnsbury Police Department, which covers the area in the village where Maple Grove is located, said his officers were not involved in the investigation. Lt. Michael Henry of the Vermont State Police also said his troopers were not involved.

According to a petition filed before the Board of Agriculture and Food Marketing of Quebec, a Maple Grove representative confirmed the company purchased syrup from heist kingpin Richard Vallieres last summer at a cost “substantially below normal rates” set by the syrup federation. Media reports say Vallieres is a well-known buyer of illegal maple syrup.

Maple Grove denies the purchase was at a greatly reduced cost. “Press reports that the prices paid for the maple syrup were ‘substantially below normal rates’ are inaccurate. The prices paid were consistent with normal commercial prices for maple syrup purchased from sources outside of Quebec.”

Canadian authorities have made more than 18 arrests in the case, including Vallieres. Maple Grove for its alleged part could face fines and trade sanctions.

The Agriculture and Food Marketing Board of Quebec frowns on the purchase of syrup from unauthorized dealers, and was scheduled to rule on Maple Grove’s breach of procedure this week. However, the matter was postponed “to allow criminal charges to be laid in the matter,” according to Canadian media reports.

The maple syrup theft was discovered in July 2012 by an accountant sent to assess inventory at the Saint-Louis-de-Blandford warehouse.

The company ended its statement by noting, “Maple Grove Farms is committed to providing quality products and observing high ethical standards in the conduct of our business. Maple Grove Farms is fully cooperating with the investigation being conducted by the authorities.”

Scribner's Mountain Maple
02-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Way to go Maple grove. Does anyone actually believe they didn't know it was stolen? I'd like to know what they paid for it per pound/kilo?

wdchuck
02-20-2013, 04:59 AM
There were other buyers as well- the media just hasnt mentioned them lately- and they are pretty familiar names.

wsugar
02-24-2013, 08:18 AM
Well waiting for sap so we are putting up tubing maybe this week we will have a run its got to start soon

wsugar
02-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Sap didn't run much this weekend but today is looking good so far we added @ 200 taps and this afternoon we r going to plug them in sap is running now we should boil again tonight😃😃

northwoods_forestry
02-25-2013, 03:03 PM
All the existing tubing is tapped. Holding out on buckets for now and hoping to get the new bush set up and tapped in the next week.

Pretty disappointing today. With all that sunshine in the morning it seemed we'd be in for a decent run, but then the clouds rolled in and put a damper on that!

GeneralStark
02-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Had some time to tap today so I am up to about 200 on 26" of vacuum. Smaller trees are running a bit, but nothing too impressive. Only about 35 degrees. If we get some sun tomorrow it may get going a bit, but doesn't look like much sugaring weather the next week.

stagecoach maples
02-25-2013, 07:53 PM
All tapped and ready and ready to go just waiting for the sun to come should run good tomm!!!!!!
started leak patrol and got vac to 26.5 by the time i got done with the new busch 7,5hp pump that pump really sucks cant wait to see how the season turns out
think its gonna be a good one fingers crossed

Randy Brutkoski
02-25-2013, 08:29 PM
Got about 1700 gallons today. better than nothing. should be good tomorow.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-25-2013, 08:52 PM
rig together, need a couple pieces of 1-1/4 pipe to hook up head tank to rig stack in the way to use original hook up. Plumber finished RO tonight, just need to soak membranes. roof jack on, walmart buckets ready to go

vermontpure
02-25-2013, 09:42 PM
Nothing happening here yet. A few of the smaller trees are beginning to drip but large trees...absoutely nothing yet. Hopefully it will start to run within the next week.

wsugar
02-26-2013, 05:44 PM
We made a barrel of syrup yesterday and going to start boiling tonight we should make a barrel tonight sap is running ok the new piggyback is working well 10gph of syrup

SandMan
02-26-2013, 06:58 PM
We made a barrel of syrup yesterday and going to start boiling tonight we should make a barrel tonight sap is running ok the new piggyback is working well 10gph of syrup

That's some amazing numbers for an operation your size! You must be happy with that!

vermontpure
02-26-2013, 10:23 PM
The big trees woke up today. Sap was still running when i collected @ 9pm so hopefully this is it. Will be boiling this weekend.

Tucker08
02-26-2013, 11:06 PM
Ran well here. First boil on the new rig. Went well. Will finish tomorrow. Still running, so I will have enough to start up again. Sap 2% to 2.5%.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-27-2013, 05:22 AM
Party at FLS tonight!!
Did a rinse on the new ro last night going to put 220gal of sap through it tonight see what happens. HP blower came partly together hope to have it going tonight also.

smokeyamber
02-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Got the dump stations setup and line flushed last night, checked a few buckets and some were running, some were bone dry. Still not full on yet... only collected around 5 gallons total, enough to flush the line a bit more. Good thing since the big storage is not cleaned yet. Also don't have my pans cleaned and ready yet. Looking to this weekend to get some more sap and get the first boil in. Snow will make the hike up the hill a bit more of a workout, slippery stuff... took a quick bath with 5 gallons of hot water last night :lol:

Randy Brutkoski
02-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Sap ran pretty good yesterday but only so so today. 2 of my 4 releasers are still running ok.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-27-2013, 10:29 PM
220 gal 1.9 sap, 125-130 gal perm so around 90-95gal concentrate @5%. IT TOOK AROUND 80 minutes to process. once the arch got heated up like Randy's it started to crank the tsunami was rocking. Start to finish 2.5hr so around 38gph which doesnt sound very good but head tank pressure over ran the float I had 2" to heat up. After that debacle I got it down to 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 for the rest of the night. Still have to get HP blower set up that will change a lot of things. Drew off 1 gal.

spud
02-28-2013, 05:33 AM
Hey Flats,

Glad to hear things are going well for you. I got 1000 gallons of sap yesterday and 1700 gallons the day before. Still very slow up north but next week should start to pick up. Now that you have a RO should I start calling you ( Sir Flats? ):)

Spud

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-28-2013, 09:31 PM
Hey Flats,

Glad to hear things are going well for you. I got 1000 gallons of sap yesterday and 1700 gallons the day before. Still very slow up north but next week should start to pick up. Now that you have a RO should I start calling you ( Sir Flats? ):)

Spud
most definately. Happy with ro but Thad and I think it can do more. Next door plumber coming over in morning to plumb in a jet pump before the filter. The hp pump only push they dont suck, so it is relieing on the head pressure from the tank to push i through the ,if I could get 8% one pass I would be a very happy camper.

spud
02-28-2013, 10:50 PM
I was able to get 3000 gallons today and the sap is still running a bit tonight. I fixed 5-6 vacuum leaks in the woods today and now am back up to 27+ inches of vacuum. How is Thad doing? I don't see him posting much so I know he must be busy.

Spud

Thad Blaisdell
02-28-2013, 11:02 PM
Busy busy, that is for sure, sap finally broke free and ran a little today. collected about 2000 gal. looking good come Tuesday/Wednesday, then things look like it will get clipping along.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-01-2013, 04:32 AM
HP blower hooked into AOF only right now, waiting for 4" ball valves so i can use blower for both AOF/AUF

wsugar
03-01-2013, 02:45 PM
U need a supply pump

Randy Brutkoski
03-01-2013, 07:22 PM
I hit 300 gallons of syrup last night and i should be able to make at least 100 gallons tomorow. Real light syrup right now.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-01-2013, 07:35 PM
U need a supply pump thanks ryan, going to try it out tomorrow afternoon, friend from N granville just dropped 200gal of 2.5%. the second membrane doesnt do a thing, the flow gauge doesnt even move with needle on concentrate gauge almost all the way in.

sjdoyon
03-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Getting some runs when the sun comes out. Ended up boiling today and making another barrel. Only running with high vacuum, gravity not doing much.

vermontpure
03-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Just finished rebuilding my block arch, first boil of the year in the morning. Hopefully make a gallon of syrup. I'm starting with about 40 gal of 2.5 sap. It's gonna be a good time.

northwoods_forestry
03-02-2013, 05:48 AM
Had a decent run yesterday. Boiled close to 300 gallons of 1.75% sap in and pushed the draw off thermometer to 215 1/2, but couldn't quite get to syrup. Very light, with little niter and a good bit of vanilla flavor.

We'll be hanging the buckets today adding 200 or so taps to the 500 on tubing.

chevypower
03-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Had our first boil of the season yesterday and ended up with around 72 gallons of syrup. Everything went well which was nice. Looking forward to the coming weeks!

Two Brothers Maple LLC
Around 3450 taps on vaccum and 850 more on buckets
D&G 5x14 with Lapierre pans
1200 gallon H2O RO

TunbridgeDave
03-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Trees down low ran on Thursday, but everything else is froze solid. Most of the bush is over 1500' elevation where the snow hasn't melted away from the trees yet. Maybe mid week.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-03-2013, 07:05 AM
well boiled for second time last night, pulled off 10.5 gal syrup. Loving the home built RO. Look in the glass you could see blue and purple flames where the verticle wall is. only did 28 gph but only 5 wheel barrel full of wood. Firing arch about every 8 to 9 minutes on so so wood cant wait to get into the better stuff.

Total for year approx 11.5 gal

sjdoyon
03-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Get ready for a potentially nice week of decent looking weather starting Wednesday. Hope the forecast is correct.

Good luck to all.

Randy Brutkoski
03-03-2013, 02:32 PM
I had a good run yesterday at my big bush. Made 130 gallons last night. At about 425 gallons of syrup right now. Really good start and should get flooded with sap this week.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-03-2013, 07:33 PM
I had a good run yesterday at my big bush. Made 130 gallons last night. At about 425 gallons of syrup right now. Really good start and should get flooded with sap this week.

time to turn up the RO! show the sap god who is BOSS! Good Luck Randy

vermontpure
03-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Well Randy, I made 3 pints yesterday. Started boiling @ 9am & was done by noon. Let me know when your boiling next weeekend, I'll swing by.

Randy Brutkoski
03-04-2013, 06:19 AM
From tuesday on it looks like at least 100 gallons of syrup a day, so any time.

smokeyamber
03-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Tapped in a few more trees on Saturday and a couple were running great ! Checked yesterday and they were all frozen up, never got warm enough. Looking good later this week. Big tank is cleaned and ready so next up is to spruce up the arch a bit and get the pans cleaned. Still need more wood, but that will be pretty easy since I have big pile of junk pine ready to cut up.

Almost up to my 60 tap target for this year, if it runs well I will be swimming in syrup ;)

wsugar
03-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Sap is running today this week looks good I got my lifts all fixed 15 stars on three lifts and 10 on the last we should have better vacuum time will tell we made @ 200 gal of syrup I spotted some more trees to tap so that's what I'll b doing this afternoon all the syrup had been lighter than fancy

steve J
03-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Smokey I saw you had a lot of construction done on your house this winter I figured you be all set with pine for a while.

Randy Brutkoski
03-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Sap ran real good for about 2 hours. It went from going full bore to not even a drip in 10 min. And the high temp there was only 33 degrees. My trees want to run so bad.

Tucker08
03-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Checked it a lunch and they were just starting to run down here. The weather pattern has left a lot to be desired for the last five days. Just waiting for "the day!"

Hope to boil a little more tonight, but I may have to hold another day.

802maple
03-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Looks like it will be another 5 or 6 days atleast before it will run up here in the mountains. Highest temperature forecasted for the next 6 days is 39 degrees on Sunday the rest 28 to 33.

wdchuck
03-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Same here, ran the vacuum today to do a bit of leak patrol and see what happened with the flow. Not quite...........

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-05-2013, 07:33 PM
[QUOTE=802maple;211492]Looks like it will be another 5 or 6 days atleast before it will run up here in the mountains. Highest temperature forecasted for the next 6 days is 39 degrees on Sunday the rest 28 to 33.[/QUOTEgo on a SUGAR HOUSE TOUR 802

DrTimPerkins
03-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Started running slowly around 3pm for a little while.

spud
03-05-2013, 08:21 PM
No sap today for me. I worked on breaking trails today with my 4-wheeler. The snow is very deep in the woods after this last storm we had. Looks like Saturday I might get some sap. I think when the sap does come it's going to come big time. Right now my trees are white from all the snow.

Spud

Randy Brutkoski
03-05-2013, 09:58 PM
The sap ran real hard for me but only for about 4 to 5 hours in 1 bush that hes 5100 taps and i got about 2500 gallons of sap.

Tucker08
03-06-2013, 04:42 AM
32 degrees here at 5:39 am. Looks like we will have some morning sun to wake things up and the day is forecast to stay at 39 til after dark. Could be a good day. The run tried holding on last night as well after freezing it was still dripping a bit. Like Randy said. These trees want to run so bad.

802maple
03-06-2013, 04:43 AM
Your bananas must be almost ripe down there to aren't they, Randy?
The sap ran real hard for me but only for about 4 to 5 hours in 1 bush that hes 5100 taps and i got about 2500 gallons of sap.

PARKER MAPLE
03-06-2013, 05:20 AM
Well guys I was very excited about this season Nd getting started 17 days ago when I tapped. The weather man and Internet both showed great forecasts for my area then. Buy seems they couldn't make up there minds or didn't really no what they where talking about. Oh we'll looks like things might be warming up a bit again for a day or two, we will see. I have lots of snow in the woods now the storm lAst week dumped over 12in here and 16 at my bush in Weston, and now there calling for maybe poss another for tonight into tomorrow. I guess that why they call it Vermont weather changes all the time.

So I will be patient a bit more, but a man can only wait so long.
Maple Rookie

northwoods_forestry
03-06-2013, 05:32 AM
I think we're going to have one heck of a weekend.

Randy Brutkoski
03-06-2013, 05:36 AM
The flood gates will open this morning. Hoping to make 200 gallons today. The sugar is holding on average of 1.8%, which is good for my trees. Bring it.

03-06-2013, 06:39 AM
Started tapping Friday and finished yesterday, hoping Fresh holes do the trick. No run in Duxbury yet. Temp got to 34 yesterday, turned the vac on and nothing but a few drips. I'm getting excited for the rest of the month.

PerryFamily
03-06-2013, 06:48 AM
We have boiled 5 times in total and are sitting a little over 40 gallons made so far . 10 a-med the remainder is fancy. Added a forced draft blower last weekend, the rheostat crapped out ( way too small ) and ended up finishing the night on high only. HOLY CRAP did that thing boil. Got a new rheostat and it is working great. Still have never seen so much steam off that 2x6 before.

I can attest that this statement is true " once you boil with an RO......" Absolutley, positively a true statement. Found that 10% seems to be a winner. Amazing the ammount of water removed with the RO. Super happy with my investment and the season so far..

Tucker08
03-06-2013, 07:37 AM
Well...it was supposed to be sunny this morning. The forecast last night said sun giving way to clouds. Instead we have snow/sleet and clouds. Still, up to 37 degrees and running pretty good. I guess I can't complain...but I want to. Boiling tonight. Good Luck everyone!

smokeyamber
03-06-2013, 08:21 AM
Looking good for today, 31 deg now and can only get warmer hope the sun stays out a bit longer. My trees are all southern slope so they should wake up quick. Weekend looks really good... Need to get more wood, cause I have way more buckets this year

spud
03-06-2013, 03:27 PM
I got 1500 gallons of sap so far today. Sap is still running at 225 GPH but it should stop in a few hours. I was able to check for leaks today and everything was running 27-28 inches today.

Spud

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-06-2013, 04:15 PM
I'll take it spud.
Got ro back up n running now gonna see if it ruined the membrane when the vane came apart and pushed all those fine particles in to it

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-06-2013, 10:12 PM
made around 9 to 10 gal tonight. collected 485 gal sap. not sure how much we boiled, I recirc the sap to 6.8 then cranked it up to 8 going into head tank. the sap was 2.8 on my bush and 2.5/2.6 on sap sucker bush.

Tucker08
03-07-2013, 12:30 AM
Was good here in Shaftsbury. Ran hard all day. Just coming in and finished 5 gallons of very light stuff. Second finish on the new rig.

MapleChaser
03-07-2013, 05:29 AM
It finally let go here around 4:00. Shut the pump off at 2 this morning 2800 gallons. Start hauling this morning, boil tonight. Living the dream.
MC

steve J
03-07-2013, 07:08 AM
It was running some yesterday I did pick up 18 gallons from buckets and I probably had 10 gallons in my small holding tank but good thing I had gone up to check as I found that two of my saddles were leaking on the line that runs to my large holding tank so although I lost a lot of sap it was not as big an issue as it could have been come this weekend..

northwoods_forestry
03-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Packed our first run of Fancy last night. The entire batch was sold before it even left the pan!

Looking like we are going to be in for it this weekend.

smokeyamber
03-07-2013, 10:10 AM
around 20 gallons sap yesterday, lost one bucketful collecting in the dark, but the kids did awesome getting to them all... should be able to boil this weekend if time permits...

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Collected another 345 gal sap just concentrated it down to 86 gal of 8.8%, doing a wash want to go to bed

Randy Brutkoski
03-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Made 130 gallons of fancy yesterday and just got done making 180 gallons of fancy tonight. At 730 gallons. Looking good.

wsugar
03-08-2013, 05:18 AM
Made 130 gallons of fancy yesterday and just got done making 180 gallons of fancy tonight. At 730 gallons. Looking good.

Do you think it will run saturday

PARKER MAPLE
03-08-2013, 06:01 AM
I really hope so, I have been tapped for 19 days no and have gathered a drop yet. I hope this weekend startes it off for me.

GeneralStark
03-08-2013, 08:07 AM
Not much has been happening here. Collected about 500 gallons from 380 taps last week and sold it all for a very fair price. Then things froze up, and the last few days I have collected about 200 gallons. Lines barely thaw and run a bit, and then it freezes up again. SOme trees have not run at all since tapping, lines are still dry. This woods is mostly north facing, and the snow is still thick around the base of the trees. Maybe it will get going this weekend.

The slow start has enabled me to take care of leaks and get the tubing all squared away. I have also had some time to get around and test vacuum levels in the woods. I'm glad to see that the vacuum level at the end of my mains and at the taps is exactly what it is at the releaser.

Today I'm going to hang all the buckets and we may boil this afternoon.

smokeyamber
03-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Still not running, some buckets did get 1/2 full, but only a few. Need the sun and then I think it will go ...

Have around 40 gallons stored, not enough yet to fire up the Dryerator :D

Was reading an old article on sugaring where they threw out the 20 gallon per tree per season figure, does that sound a bit high ? I have over 50 taps so 1000 gallons of sap ? Yikes ! I need to get more wood :o

steve J
03-08-2013, 10:02 AM
I have always heard something along the lines of a quart of syrup per tap so that would be about 10 gallons of sap per tap.

Tucker08
03-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Southwestern Vermont has been decent the last few days. Wednesday it really ran well, Thursday it was ok..but slower. I have been happy thus far. Sap is 2.5% and the new rig is performing at about 36 gph right now. Now that I have worked out the kinks and have more confidence I will add the hood on which will make the preheater actually start to work and creep the GPH up. I went out for a quick boil last night for a few hours to chew through some sap before the weekend and pulled off another two gallons. This brings the season total to to 9 gallons and all of it has been Fancy. Good Luck everyone!

Thad Blaisdell
03-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Took a nap, watched tv, went to all you can eat buffet. Sugaring who needs stinking maple anyways.

spud
03-08-2013, 04:31 PM
I was able to get 1700 gallons of sap today. The wind blew to much and shut the trees down early. Tomorrow and Sunday should be much better. Hey Thad what have you gotten so far? I thought down in your neck of the woods things were going well. When the sap finally comes it's going to come big time I hope. Hang in there.

Spud

wdchuck
03-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Oh to have a day like Thad's!!!......Brought what sap we had home to rinse the membrane and get the shmangy stuff out of the tanks now that things are running clear. Kept 2/3 of the concentrate- maybe boiling for real this weekend. Thad, I was in your 'hood yesterday, tried to find you, didnt go far enough out past trow hill. Next time!

vermontpure
03-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Gathered 86 gal of 2.2% sap in the last 3 days. Looks like I'll be boiling hard all weekend. Hope the hi-tech block arch holds up.

Big John
03-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Over 14,000 in since feb 18 made 65 gallon so far. I hope it lites up real soon. The vac has been on 24/7 for a month now!!!

Thad Blaisdell
03-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Spud, big ole goose egg, well not exactly, got about 2000 gal of sap so far sitting in a tank, some for almost a week. Just doesnt want to run here, I have roughly 12-20 inches of snow in my woods. Has not moved away from the trees, and it has stayed just too cold. Tomorrow, tomorrow, the sun will come out tomorrow.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-08-2013, 10:49 PM
pulled another 8 gallons tonight +- rough guestimate Im loving the ro

Randy Brutkoski
03-08-2013, 11:59 PM
I hit 800 gallons tonight. All fancy except for 1 barrel. Have alot of sap left. Need to switch out pans tomorow morning before anything. Niter is starting to show its face. Should have no problem hitting the 1000 gallon mark tomorow. Unreal how good the sap is running. Also killed 4 pumps for trucking the sap. Never even heard of anything like that before. Not a good day for pumps.

spud
03-09-2013, 05:57 AM
Spud, big ole goose egg, well not exactly, got about 2000 gal of sap so far sitting in a tank, some for almost a week. Just doesnt want to run here, I have roughly 12-20 inches of snow in my woods. Has not moved away from the trees, and it has stayed just too cold. Tomorrow, tomorrow, the sun will come out tomorrow.

Thad,

I have been lucky enough to get about 13,000 gallons of sap so far from parts of the woods. I too have 12-20 inches of snow in the woods and it is very hard to get around. I have broke trail to all my booster tanks but that is all. Last week the kids found some leaks here and there and we were able to bring the vacuum up to 27-28 inches. Yesterday I was running 27 1/2 early in the day and then it went down to 26 at the end of the day. I plan to have the kids in the woods today searching once everything thaws out. It is possible that some of my lines stayed iced up on the back part of the woods causing the vacuum to be off. What was the latest date in April you ever had sap? I think today and tomorrow should be good days. Good luck to you.

Spud

802maple
03-09-2013, 07:03 AM
No sap yet, 8 degrees this morning, it will take today to get things thawed out a little, maybe tomorrow, same as you Thad. The latest I have boiled in April was May 5th. lol

sugartree310
03-09-2013, 07:38 AM
Saps been running pretty good here last couple of days . We made 80 gallons of fancy yesterday , was our third boil of season and have made about 150 gallons total. The best runs are still to come, can't wait !!!!

spud
03-09-2013, 07:12 PM
I was able to get 2600 gallons today. Cooled off quick at the end of the day. The next three days should be better. All I need is another 135,000 gallons and I will be happy.:)

Spud

Thad Blaisdell
03-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Drisled in most of the day, then around 3pm, it started running at a good clip, still coming in now at 29 degrees. Thank you vacuum. If it keeps running at 29 it is suposed to stay that temp till 5 am. Then warm up again at 11, looking for a good day tomorrow, about time.\

The latest I boiled was April 23rd.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-10-2013, 12:41 AM
picked up 580 or so today, made approx 13 to 15 gal lighter than fancy, where the hell is the dark stuff. Wired up a low pressure cut out seems to be working

wiam
03-10-2013, 12:46 AM
picked up 580 or so today, made approx 13 to 15 gal lighter than fancy, where the hell is the dark stuff. Wired up a low pressure cut out seems to be working

Can you name parts for the low pressure.

vermontpure
03-10-2013, 01:26 AM
I just finished boiling. Work called this morning so I didn't start boiling til 11:30 am. Boiled over 100 gal sap, haven't finished it off yet but should end up with 3 +/- gal of syrup. Time wise i don't think i made out to bad boiling on the hi-tech block arch. The sap ran great all day and didn't stop til bout 10:30 tonight. It's gonna be another long day tomorrow.

Randy Brutkoski
03-10-2013, 03:01 AM
Just shut down for tonight and back at it in a couple hours. I still have 700 gallons of 16% concentrate. Made 220 gallons tonight. Should easily make 250 gallons tomorow. Forgot to put on my swimies today. Hardest i have ever seen sap run. 24 barrels of super light fancy and 1 barrel of dark amber.

maplwrks
03-10-2013, 05:18 AM
Are you kidding me?? What are you going to do when the ground thaws and they really start running! It has beeen a great start though. Probably one of the best starts that I can remember. Needapump? I gotta pump! I am going to boil this morning also. Should make 80 or so this morning.

wdchuck
03-10-2013, 06:15 AM
Sap started to run better for us yesterday. The air temps still felt cool, and there was a light breeze. Things ought to be busting loose for us in the next couple days.

Thad Blaisdell
03-10-2013, 06:38 AM
Just shut down for tonight and back at it in a couple hours. I still have 700 gallons of 16% concentrate. Made 220 gallons tonight. Should easily make 250 gallons tomorow. Forgot to put on my swimies today. Hardest i have ever seen sap run. 24 barrels of super light fancy and 1 barrel of dark amber.

You just need to shut your pie hole. lol. go play a video game or something,

spud
03-10-2013, 06:46 AM
I would hate to be Thad's dog right now. That poor thing must be getting kicked everyday:lol:. It only went down to 35 degree at my house last night and the sun is starting to come up right now at 7:45. By noon it should run real good. Good luck everyone.

Spud

northwoods_forestry
03-10-2013, 07:30 AM
Hope everyone had a good nights sleep last night. Might not get another for a couple days!

Nope, don't need a pump, but thanks for asking.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Can you name parts for the low pressure.

http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-8420-square-d-pumptrol-well-tank-pressure-switch-with-low-pressure-cut-off.aspx?utm_source=Feed&utm_medium=Amazon&utm_campaign=AmazonAds

this is what i have or very similar.

doocat
03-10-2013, 10:37 AM
It froze to mid twenties at my house last night (Saturday night) but running hard at 0800 this morning . Could it have been cooler here in northeast Pennsylvania than in Vermont? No freeze next two than back down cold here.

Craig

802maple
03-10-2013, 02:36 PM
It is starting to thaw out, might make some good sap tomorrow up here in the hills, 21 degrees this morning took until 11 to start running.

steve J
03-10-2013, 04:05 PM
My trees on buckets have been runningso so the trees on the lower lines are also running so so and my lines that go up onto the hill are just trickleing it will run harder soon.

GeneralStark
03-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Good sap flow here. Today was better than yesterday. 45 buckets gave 65 gallons yesterday and 3% and 80 gallons at 3% today. Tubing is running at 2.7%, up from 2.5 yesterday. Collected 250 since 10 am today. Sold most of my sap so far at .50, but made 3.5 gallons of nice dark amber today from sap that was in a tank for a week (invert 24mg/dl).

Should run well on vac. next couple days. Things are just getting started.

PARKER MAPLE
03-10-2013, 06:46 PM
well Guys today was my turn it seamed for me to play catch up and start making syrup. Gather in almost 350 gals at 12 and started the rig up. New vacuum system is totally awesome and I cant believe I have never had one of these in the past. Next year god willing all of it will be on some kind of vaccum. Im seriuosly thinking that this summer we will be building our own RO. Boiled 350 gals today in just under 4hrs, and got pans sweetend and drew off a couple gals, bring on tomorrow and the next..

Have a good one
Maple Rookie

spud
03-10-2013, 07:29 PM
I was able to get 1800 gallons today. I really thought today was going to be good but once again the wind killed everything. Sap still running 125 GPH as of 8:00 PM. Had the kids checking for leaks today. 26.5 was the best I could get in the woods today.

Spud

spud
03-11-2013, 05:02 AM
Sap ran all night at a whopping 100 GPH. At this pace I should hit my goal by the fourth of July.:)

Spud

MapleChaser
03-11-2013, 05:08 AM
Sap ran all night at a whopping 100 GPH. At this pace I should hit my goal by the fourth of July.:)

Spud
I know how you feel. The wind has killed it here to. Just return from the pump house and all we have is 1500 gallons. What sap we have had is good sugar. Just sit and wait. Will boil tonight
MC

wdchuck
03-11-2013, 05:31 AM
Things really broke loose for us yesterday- no freeze last night so I expect sap ran all night. Maybe one of the holding tanks overflowed- that'd be a first. Looks like a long day- good problems to have.

spud
03-11-2013, 07:23 AM
Things really broke loose for us yesterday- no freeze last night so I expect sap ran all night. Maybe one of the holding tanks overflowed- that'd be a first. Looks like a long day- good problems to have.

Hey wdchuck,

What is the elevation of your woods? My sugarhouse is at 600 and the highest section of my woods is 800 feet above sea level.

Spud

GeneralStark
03-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Things definitely slowed down here overnight. I guess we must remember the old saying: "winds from the south, the sap runs in a drought".

smokeyamber
03-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Ran nice both days, collected twice yesterday , kids did awesome keeping up, now filling the big storage tank so it's time to boil !!! Seems to have stopped last night sometime so may stay off until we get another cold snap. Looking like the weekend may be ok.

Major mud season here as well... sure sign of spring :D

chevypower
03-11-2013, 05:37 PM
We had our 4th boil today.... sap hasn't ran real well but we've made around 298 gallons of light medium amber so far.

farmall h
03-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Sap ran so so today. Windy & mild. It was still 44 degress @7:30 last night. 28F this morning. Releaser dumped every 10 minutes all day. Saturday & Sunday were great! Releaser dumped every 3 minutes!!!! Possibly rain & wet snow in the forcast? Fancy on Saturday, Light Amber Sunday, Medium Amber today.

wdchuck
03-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Hey wdchuck,

What is the elevation of your woods? My sugarhouse is at 600 and the highest section of my woods is 800 feet above sea level.

Spud

According to google earth, the top off my woods is at 1250 ft, and the bottom is at about 1000, with the vacuum stations maybe 100 feet below that. Sap slowed down today, but full tanks this morning. Hopefully boiling tomorrow.

spud
03-12-2013, 05:07 AM
I have not checked my tank this morning yet. It had slowed down last night to about 100 GPH so I don't think anything is running over. It is raining right now so maybe this will help. Went down to 37 last night at the house.

Spud

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-12-2013, 05:39 AM
at 53 gal syrup or close still have syrup in old stainless milk jug things, not sure how many gal they are. Bottled up 11.5 gal syrup last night lighter than fancy:mad: , would much rather have darker but it all pays the same. cleaning syrup pan tonight and bottling some more syrup. niter not bad but is building up in pan

maplwrks
03-12-2013, 06:16 AM
Looking forward to a down day--I picked up a case of acid and I'll be giving the rig a bath today. Air injector tubes are plugged, syrup pan is coated, the entire sugarhouse needs to be cleaned. No syrup today. I beat the crap out of my rig on Sunday, 12 hour boil--200 gallons! I like 25% concentrate!!!

spud
03-12-2013, 07:19 AM
Looking forward to a down day--I picked up a case of acid and I'll be giving the rig a bath today. Air injector tubes are plugged, syrup pan is coated, the entire sugarhouse needs to be cleaned. No syrup today. I beat the crap out of my rig on Sunday, 12 hour boil--200 gallons! I like 25% concentrate!!!

That outstanding for your size rig. How much oil per hour?

Spud

maplwrks
03-12-2013, 07:52 AM
My rig runs 4.5 GPH

steve J
03-12-2013, 08:47 AM
Well I made 3.5 gallons so far but ran out of sap nothing is flowing and unless we get a run on Saturday it could be a long while before it does.

GeneralStark
03-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Sap still coming in on vacuum, but has slowed down and sugar has dropped. Maybe a freeze tonight, but looks like we will be back into marginal sugaring weather for a few days. Have about 600 gallons of 2.2% and 120 of 3% to boil today. We have been making dark amber to medium amber.

03-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Things finally came loose a little on Saturday and Sunday. Never got a strong flow but enough to sweeten pans and make 20 gal. Had 30" of snow on Sunday, today's rain will take care of that. Ran 30 gph all day yesterday, but has shut down today. Trying to get the tanks empty and am looking forward to a couple day freeze. The forecast for the next few weeks is promising and now with the snow beaten back, I hope it will open up.

spud
03-12-2013, 10:53 AM
I got 1800 gallons in the tank from last night and this morning. Sap is running 225 GPH. It has been raining all day and the wind is blowing hard. Sap is testing at 2.1%

Spud

smokeyamber
03-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Mostly stopped in Middlesex... a couple trees still going... fine with me as I am not ready to boil. A couple cold days will help I think to recharge the trees ? At least it will keep the sap cold :lol:

sugarin' in the hood
03-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Started batching Thursday night, finished off our first gallon of syrup Sunday and should have the same today if we finish off. I think we are just getting started on our parts, the trees just opened up this past weekend.

vtmapleman
03-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Bottom dropped out of the sugar content...went from 2.1 to 1.8 - trees need to freeze to get it back up - the RO is a life saver - still making a real delightful tasting Fancy

northwoods_forestry
03-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Changed over from fancy to A-med last night with the sap at nearly 2.5%. Nothing to boil tonight except for rainwater. Think I'll catch up on sleep.

spud
03-12-2013, 09:34 PM
I was able to get 2000 more gallons today that tested 2%. Rained all day and still raining at 9:30pm. Tomorrow will be 40 degrees and sun so maybe it will run better then today. Supposed to go down to 27 tonight.

Spud

spud
03-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Sap is running 300 GPH at 10:30 this morning. Sap must have run all night because I woke up to 1000 more gallons. The big trees seem to be running real well after the rain.

Spud

smokeyamber
03-13-2013, 01:54 PM
Didn't check buckets yesterday... nothing in my telltale clear 2 liter bottle so guess it didn't run at all. Maybe today ? Anyone on buckets in central Vt who can weigh in ?

bairdswift
03-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Not hardly a drip of sap for me sense Sunday. I'm working 2 different bushes 8 miles apart. Both in west Fairlee. One has my buckets other has my pipeline. First good runs were over the weekend and nothing for 3 days. What town are you on smokyamber?

smokeyamber
03-13-2013, 03:39 PM
located in Middlesex...

maplwrks
03-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Cleaned out all of the tanks today, and put 87 more on the board. 495 gallons so far.

Tucker08
03-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Not enough to boil here in shaftsbury over the last two days. A report out of sandgate is that it was running very hard, but their trees wake up a lot later than ours. 28 gallons so far. Fancy and a medium.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-13-2013, 09:27 PM
another 250 gal 2.0 concentrated down to 95 gal very nice VT grade A medium amber with a aromatic smell of maple laced with some stupid flat lander grading for next year.

spud
03-13-2013, 09:59 PM
I got another 3000 gallons today. Everything is froze up now for the next 5-6 days.

Spud

Stamford sugarmaker
03-14-2013, 08:23 AM
I'm on the MA border and another guy and I have only boiled once so far. I'm at about 20 percent of a normal year. Last season was awful, a total of only 30 percent. I tapped earlier than normal this year- third week in February and I hope the holes don't close up if we get an extended season.

Peter

03-14-2013, 11:04 AM
off to a good start considering last year. I don't think my trees have woke up yet as there is still 24+ inches of snow in the woods. Made 50 gal so far and fear wood may run out well before the sap stops flowing. I guess that is better than last year when I have 1/2 wood left over.

spud
03-14-2013, 11:15 AM
I really think I will be sugaring into the third week of April this year. I am starting to think that everything I got so far is just bonus and the real sugaring season will start in about a week. I could still get another 125,000 gallons of sap in a few weeks if the weather was right. I still have a lot of snow in my woods. Things are still looking real good up here in northern Vermont.

Spud

Randy Brutkoski
03-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Up to 1370 gallons so far. Its looking like bills are finally going to get paid this year.

Brian Ryther
03-14-2013, 07:29 PM
Up to 1370 gallons so far. Its looking like bills are finally going to get paid this year.
1/2 way point, for table grade. Looks to be a fine season.

maplwrks
03-15-2013, 02:35 AM
Historically, in this area of the Champlain valley, the 3rd week of March is when it all happens. I feel when we come out of this freeze, things are going to happen. The recent rain has softened the ground, although we still have some frost, to help hold us. We have blessed with an awesome start to the season, but I really feel the best is yet to come.Highland Sugarworks delivered 10 new drums yesterday, and I want to fill them. Enjoy the downtime during this freeze up,get some rest, cause all hell is going to break loose!!

spud
03-15-2013, 04:59 AM
Maplwrks,

I agree with you 100%. Sugaring will start next week for us up north. I think it is going to be a great season.

Spud

wdchuck
03-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Everyone in this area is just getting started as well- things are looking pretty good!

Randy Brutkoski
03-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Pushed water through the rig today and made another 60 gallons so that brings me to about 1430 gallons. Gave her a bath today.Washed head tank and tomorow is operation cutting wood. I agree, with all this moisture in the ground means 1 thing. Blow up your swimmies and get ready.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-15-2013, 07:41 PM
Pushed water through the rig today and made another 60 gallons so that brings me to about 1430 gallons. Gave her a bath today.Washed head tank and tomorow is operation cutting wood. I agree, with all this moisture in the ground means 1 thing. Blow up your swimmies and get ready.
Do they make swimmies big enough for you?:o HAHAHAHAHAHAHA:lol::lol:

Randy Brutkoski
03-15-2013, 09:22 PM
I actually wear one of them duck ones you put around your waist. Makes me feel skinny.

vermontpure
03-16-2013, 11:58 PM
I bet it's a pink ducky too.:lol:

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-17-2013, 05:59 AM
only if I had a picture

Tucker08
03-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Used up the 85 gallons in my head tank last night. Will clean it today. Finished 3 gallons of A Dark. Will go right back to the lighter stuff after this cold snap, right? Tempted to push water through the whole rig, but we will see what Monday brings. The sweet in there dates to the warm spell and I just want to move it out. Is that the right move? For now, I have 110 blueberry bushes to prune.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-17-2013, 07:50 AM
Used up the 85 gallons in my head tank last night. Will clean it today. Finished 3 gallons of A Dark. Will go right back to the lighter stuff after this cold snap, right? Tempted to push water through the whole rig, but we will see what Monday brings. The sweet in there dates to the warm spell and I just want to move it out. Is that the right move? For now, I have 110 blueberry bushes to prune.

i thought you boiling friday night? I would have come down last night, let me know for next time probably this coming weekend.

Tucker08
03-17-2013, 09:14 AM
Everything was frozen on Friday and I needed daylight to get it thawed. Sorry about that. Looked at the weather for yesterday and saw nothing more was coming and opted for an early night to bed. Come on down this coming weekend or during the week if you have to work down my way.

Pumpkin Village Maple
03-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Went out yesterday and pushed some sap thru. Made a gallon and a half. Must of been the only sugarhouse boiling in Fairfield.
We're up to 9 gallons now and are ahead of budget. Maybe a few more brown bottles for the sugarhouse. (Rootbeer) Boys love it.
Must of raised my kids wrong. The oldest 16 loves to fire and the youngest 11 loves to gather. Together with the wife we make
a good team for our hobby operation of 200 buckets. We even have 30 more trees to tap but with my smaller rig we'll see how
we do with the 200 first.

03-17-2013, 11:21 AM
looks like were getting 10-12 inches of Snow Monday/Tuesday. I doubt if it runs at all this week with the night temps in the teens. We are on lock down in Central and Northern VT. We'll be sugaring well into April this year. Based on my forecast it won't run good until the 24th/25th.

I'm getting bored.

Guess I'll be cutting firewood and looking for a few more trees to add while I wait.

PARKER MAPLE
03-17-2013, 04:29 PM
I boiled in 400 gals lastnight, I was waiting for more to come into tank but didnt look like we were going to get anymore runs in the near furture up here. So I gathered it all in and boiled a couple of hours. I did get a scare lastnight looked out at the head tank and didnt see any more sap in it>>> told the boys no fire and best be tanking the wood out of the fire box. What a scare that was. No damage done and all is good this am But scared the crap out of us. I guess we might get some snow this week we will see. Bring on the next warm spell.
MR

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-17-2013, 08:00 PM
I boiled in 400 gals lastnight, I was waiting for more to come into tank but didnt look like we were going to get anymore runs in the near furture up here. So I gathered it all in and boiled a couple of hours. I did get a scare lastnight looked out at the head tank and didnt see any more sap in it>>> told the boys no fire and best be tanking the wood out of the fire box. What a scare that was. No damage done and all is good this am But scared the crap out of us. I guess we might get some snow this week we will see. Bring on the next warm spell.
MR
let me know a day or so in advance if you could ill try to make plans to come down, you should have my number in the PM i sent you

wdchuck
03-18-2013, 07:03 PM
..........crickets.....................

smokeyamber
03-19-2013, 11:39 AM
All quiet here in central Vt... sap I have may get boiled this weekend... most is frozen :(

Looking for a few more runs this season... but for now I will take what I get.

Cutting up more scrap for firing this weekend so at least I will be ready...

steve J
03-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Smokey we will get some runs this weekend but next week will be a biggy

802maple
03-19-2013, 03:17 PM
It doesn't look like we will be getting anything until this full moon sequence is done, so in that case no sap until April in this area. Warmest day thru the 28th will be 33 degrees and that wont cut the mustard.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-19-2013, 06:20 PM
It doesn't look like we will be getting anything until this full moon sequence is done, so in that case no sap until April in this area. Warmest day thru the 28th will be 33 degrees and that wont cut the mustard.
Well I'm.Gina.try.to.do.the open house if you want to stop by hoping to have enough sap

802maple
03-19-2013, 06:43 PM
If I don't get conned into something by the wife I will do that

Tucker08
03-19-2013, 07:42 PM
They want to run...The last two nights they actually started dripping pretty good at about 4pm, but then night came. Am going to try for Open House Weekend, we will see. Should run here on Saturday, which means I will boil on Sunday and Sunday night. Looks like Monday and Tuesday we could get a good run or two. Might be filling out order forms for Maple Weekend instead of handing out jugs...

03-20-2013, 10:14 AM
16" +/- in Duxbury. What is this going to do to the season? My guess is just postpone the start date. Should keep things running for all of April. Maybe into MAY? Don't think I recall making Syrup in May before. Does anyone remember a season like this and what the outcome was? I think two years ago was similar, but not as much snow I don't think? I'm so bored.

DrTimPerkins
03-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Happy Spring everyone! Seems like last year we went from winter to summer and this year we went from winter to winter. It'll come eventually, but this waiting is getting old. Both in Richmond (my house) and at PMRC (Underhill), we only had about 5-6" of snow from this storm.

802maple
03-20-2013, 11:20 AM
I remember many seasons like this. We most always made our main part of our crop in April.

03-20-2013, 11:25 AM
As of last week the forecast was looking good, my maples had finally developed rings around the basses where the snow melted away and I felt like it was fixing to happen. Now, no more rings, some buried lines and I'm sick of plowing...

DrTimPerkins
03-20-2013, 12:21 PM
I remember many seasons like this. We most always made our main part of our crop in April.

Yes, this is more like the "traditional" season used to be.

vtmapleman
03-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Just got done digging out my lines - 15" of snow in last 36 hours - looks like we might be back in business this Sun/Mon.

smokeyamber
03-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Back to snowshoes for moving around my hillside, did use this new snow to bury my barrels so at least stuff is staying nice and cold. Next week is looking nice... at least my procrastination on setup hasn't caught up with me yet :lol:

No sugaring this weekend anyway... shingling a roof :lol:

PARKER MAPLE
03-21-2013, 03:53 PM
pumps are on and saps rolling in, maybe with the next 4 days wrather we will be making syrup. got to re-level arch something has shifted a little

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-22-2013, 04:43 AM
Collected 200 gal yesterday was really cloudy starting to turn yellow had to boil it. Made 5 gal syrup. Started sap ladder on my taps will see if a sap sucker will do it. Converted the ro to parallel boy does it move the sap now . First pass 2 to 4, second pass 4 to 7.

Randy Brutkoski
03-22-2013, 04:54 AM
Dont even try the ladder with a sap sucker. It wont work. There wont be any vacuum transfer. Dont waste your $. I know your pockets are deep and your silent partner is well off but it will be a waste of time doing this.

Randy Brutkoski
03-22-2013, 04:57 AM
Sap ran good for about 3 hours yesterday. There is going to be alot of 24 hour shifts coming up. Bring it, cause i am rested. Im glad the sap didnt run last week because i had the flue most of the week.

spud
03-22-2013, 05:02 AM
My sap started to run yesterday at about 3:00pm. At first I thought it was some of the lines thawing out and dripping in but when I turned the pump on things started to flow for 2 hours. I got about 500 gallons so I guess it was worth turning the pump on. It was the real big trees that were running a bit from the hot sun earlier in the day. I think these trees are about ready to burst. I hope the mother load comes soon.

Spud

Apple Hill Sugarworks
03-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Sap labber on your sap sucker, please let me know if it works!

Stamford sugarmaker
03-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Zero, zip, nada, zilch in southern Vermont. Way too cold. Sunday is supposed to be 44F but low of 21 Saturday night might mess it up.

I hope we don't get summer in the next week or so and it buds out.

Randy Brutkoski
03-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Sap ran pretty good today for only getting to 34 degrees. Got about 4500 gallons of sap. big sap coming every day now. Should hit 2000 gallons of syrup by tuesday. Having a great year except for that 1 and a half week hickup with no sap.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-22-2013, 09:22 PM
200 gal on sap sucker today didnt check the quarry, setting up sap sucker in am and start checking for leaks, if all goes good will have close to 525 on sap suckers by lunch time. will be boiling hopefully by 3 will miss maplefest but thats ok maybe next year.

PARKER MAPLE
03-23-2013, 06:01 AM
Ok who's open for visitors this weekend? Family and I might take a little ride touring around the state looking for sugar house open signs. Preferably the one we haven't been to. Would love to come check out the guys on here and me you guys.
Maple Rookie

wdchuck
03-23-2013, 07:15 AM
We'll be open and boiling from 1 til 4 on sunday....but thats a heck of a drive!

03-23-2013, 11:10 AM
I wanna be a weather man.

sjdoyon
03-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Don't bother driving up north, sap has been scarce for almost ten days. At least it looks like we will finally get a break this week with this cold weather.

Tucker08
03-23-2013, 05:13 PM
We boiled from 11 to 2 and will try for the same tomorrow. Running ok now. This wind is brutal. Brutal.

Thad Blaisdell
03-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Ran like crazy here today, could not even begin to keep up..... oh and then I woke up...... grrrrrrrr another day of nothing.

wdchuck
03-23-2013, 07:05 PM
You had me, Thad!.......same here...

Run Forest Run!
03-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Happy Birthday wdchuck.:D

GeneralStark
03-23-2013, 08:23 PM
It has been running a bit here the last few days. About 1/2 gal/tap at 2.9%. May have enough to boil tomorrow. This may be the year for the Champlain Valley.