PDA

View Full Version : stack for 2x3

jake22si
12-26-2012, 07:10 AM
Been trying to search on stack ideas for my homemade 2x3. just trying to figure out best way to go from the square to round without using up a spool of wire. Thinking I'll go with 8 inch pipe.

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
12-26-2012, 08:13 AM
My half pint had a 6inch stack on it... I dont know what design you are doing, but i will tell you this much, after 1 and a half seasons of boiling on it, the galvanized stack was about shot... If you could, try to use stainless or something like double wall for close to it--this is if your design is like a half pint

jake22si
12-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Thanks, I will be using 16ga or so steel for it and I'm going 8" but will reduce to 6" so I can upgrade to the 8 if needed. Its built like the "davyjones" plans.

Jeff E
12-26-2012, 09:28 AM
For what it's worth:
I had a 2x4 that had a 7" stack. 7" was hard to find, so I reduced it to 6" for a roof penetration. that reduction change my draft significantly. I regretted not stay with 7" or going up to 8". The boil was not a violent after I did the reduction. I would guess a 10-20% boiling rate reduction.

Big_Eddy
01-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Been trying to search on stack ideas for my homemade 2x3. just trying to figure out best way to go from the square to round without using up a spool of wire. Thinking I'll go with 8 inch pipe.

Cut 2 pieces of 16 gauge 24" wide at the bottom, 12" wide at the top and 16" tall / \ and a second piece 12" wide x 46" long | |. Mark the center of the 46" piece and cut a rough 7 1/2" hole in it. | o |

Take a piece of 1"x 1/8" bar stock and roll a ~ 8" circle to fit outside your stove pipe. Weld to the rectangular piece centered on the hole. The slightly smaller hole gives the stovepipe something to sit on.

Bend the 46" piece 17" in from each end to match the angle of the sides. Align with the 2 side pieces and weld together.

Presto - transition from 2' wide to 8" stove pipe. Mount at the back of the arch and tack at the 4 corners.

Dimensions can be adjusted as needed to fit your arch or to increase or decrease the slope as desired.

jake22si
01-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Cut 2 pieces of 16 gauge 24" wide at the bottom, 12" wide at the top and 16" tall / \ and a second piece 12" wide x 46" long | |. Mark the center of the 46" piece and cut a rough 7 1/2" hole in it. | o |

Take a piece of 1"x 1/8" bar stock and roll a ~ 8" circle to fit outside your stove pipe. Weld to the rectangular piece centered on the hole. The slightly smaller hole gives the stovepipe something to sit on.

Bend the 46" piece 17" in from each end to match the angle of the sides. Align with the 2 side pieces and weld together.

Presto - transition from 2' wide to 8" stove pipe. Mount at the back of the arch and tack at the 4 corners.

Dimensions can be adjusted as needed to fit your arch or to increase or decrease the slope as desired.
Very good info there. I ended up custom bending a piece of my oil tank i was gonna use as an arch. It is not as pretty but will do the job. 6202

wiam
01-05-2013, 06:08 AM
Looks good.