PDA

View Full Version : Tapping date central pa?

psparr
12-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Was wondering when others around here are gonna tap? Last year was screwey I know.
Hoping for some advice. Thanks.

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
12-26-2012, 06:16 AM
Well, I am Northeast Pa, Montrose area, and I tapped some in January last year, and the rest in February. I plan on tapping in the begining to middle fo February if all goes the right way.

Dennis H.
12-26-2012, 07:47 AM
It all depends on the weather.
I have yet to tap to the calender. I just watch the weather.
This past season I was tapped by the 21st of Jan and I made the most syrup ever. The year before I tapped about the 2nd week in Feb.

For what I have heard, there was a lot of people that made little or no syrup last year because they tapped to the calender. You can set a date that you want to tap but then watch and see what mather nature gives us and adjust as needed.

Paddymountain
12-26-2012, 07:50 AM
I shoot for Feb 14 .But Dennis H is right it's more by the season than a calender date. pspar are you tapping in Huntingdon Cty or in Denver?

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
12-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Yes I totally agree that it all depends on the weather. If it breaks and we get warm temps in January, you can bet I will be tapping some atleast. If not, then I will hold out until february or whenever monther nature decides to unleash the monsterous sap flow we all want :lol:

heus
12-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Yeah I think alot of "oldtimers" in these parts lose out on alot of the season because they tap by a predetermined date every year. This date that they use is probably based on climate from decades ago, when the season was later.

adk1
12-26-2012, 09:08 AM
The problem is that yeah, it might show a few days of ideal weather temp swings, but that doesnt mean that its not going to plummet for 2 weeks after that warm spell. Then you are all tapped. For my trees, from what I learned last year, I need the better part of a week of "sap weather" just for the trees to have time to thaw out. I think the later you get in the spring, the more predictable the weather is as far as temperature swings up in this area at least. I would guess that the weather in PA is about 2-3 weeks ahead of us as far as sap weather is concerned.
I screwed up last year, tapped when other local producers did on or around Valentines day..I never got a drop of sap to run till the 20th of Feb I think. Could have been later even. Then I followed what the other producers did and pulled the taps after that 80 degree week. I bet if I had stuck it out, I would have had some great runs and allot of sap.

psparr
12-26-2012, 04:04 PM
I shoot for Feb 14 .But Dennis H is right it's more by the season than a calender date. pspar are you tapping in Huntingdon Cty or in Denver?
I live in Denver but our cabin where I tap is near Shade Gap.

A side note. I have about 300 trees total to tap, but can only get there on the weekends. Also building a 2x6. Probably way too much sap to boil. My idea for next year might be to tap half early then tap the other half at a more "normal" time.

SevenCreeksSap
12-27-2012, 09:12 AM
[SIZE My idea for next year might be to tap half early then tap the other half at a more "normal" time. [/SIZE]

I'm having this thought for this year with about 300 taps too. Might get some of the early run if there is one, get into the swing of boiling on evenings and weekends and get everything set up how I want it. really hate to miss sap if its flowing. we've had a screwy fall already with sap flowing from small trees I had to cut from paths and good tapping weather. Cold and wintry now though.

Dave Y
12-28-2012, 06:44 AM
sap will flow any time there is a freeze thaw cycle. I t is not unusal for sap to flow in the fall.

Maplewalnut
12-28-2012, 07:13 PM
We will most likely be tapping end of January for vacuum and cvs. Buckets middle to end of Feb. weather, weather weather!

slammer3364
01-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Yes I try to go by accuweather forecast usally ends up second or third week of Feb

molineutu
02-11-2013, 08:06 AM
I put in about twenty taps yesterday. Going to plumb the rest of the main line but not tap the rest of the trees. Will just keep on watching weather to see when I'll finish tapping.

sandman6921
02-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Tapped 65 Clearfield County yesterday

Turtlecreek
02-11-2013, 07:55 PM
I tried a staggared tappping schedule last year, with a little sucess. I found that most mf my trees were still running strong when i pulled the plug, so I'm not sure if it really helped or hurt me. this year I put out all 50 at one time.

umpwood1
02-12-2013, 06:41 AM
I hung about 100 buckets yesterday, sap was running good. I collected last evening and got about 40 gallons, ended up in the dark. I can't wait to fire up the new 2 x 6 raised flue. I may need some pointers for start up and shut down...STAND BY !!regards,
Woody

molineutu
02-12-2013, 01:09 PM
I rerouted my main line this year. Trying to get a little more slope on it. Thats why i am not tapping all at once and also that dang full time job gets in the way a lot also.
Upwood i may have to drop over to see your evap. Going by your place tomorrow i will look for your buckets.
Sandman what part of morrisdale you in.

umpwood1
02-12-2013, 06:44 PM
I will be cooking tomorrow..Stop in anytime. I got about 100 gallons today.

molineutu
02-22-2013, 05:37 PM
I am going to try to put the rest of my taps in tomorrow.

umpwood1
02-28-2013, 05:39 AM
I got a pretty good run yesterday. Put about 120 gallons in the head tank, going to fire 'er up this morning. Looks like not much sap until Tuesday. Bottled 3 galloon of real nice light.
Bring it on !!!
Woody

umpwood1
03-04-2013, 06:50 AM
It looks like BIG SAP this weekend. I am off, so let 'er fly.

molineutu
03-21-2013, 11:40 AM
Collected almost 200 gallons sap since Sunday. Looks like I am in for some good boiling this weekend. Hope to have my new pans done tonight. Anxious to see the gph rate.

molineutu
03-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Pans are done....... putting them on arch tonight and boiling tomorrow ..

umpwood1
03-24-2013, 08:40 AM
moline.. can't wait to see your pans. Lets us know how they do. I think today might be my last boil. I think we are close to 40 gallon and I just wanted enough syrup for a pancake breakfast. :mrgreen: I am so happy with the new evaporator.
Woody

molineutu
03-25-2013, 10:56 AM
I got almost 20 gph. I need to tweek a little more. I am going to use the coil you gave me for a preheater . To see if I can improve a bit more. I will get some pics of pans on here soon. Looks like I have another week of sap flow. I have never boiled into April but looks like I am this year.