PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Stovepipe

Brent
12-25-2012, 01:14 PM
has anyone ever tried aluminum stove pipe for the outdoor sections above the roof line.

our shack is high and exposed to a lot of wind so I take down the 12ft or so of stack and put
a bucket over the roof jack in the off season.

I'm 67 now - and that 12" pipe 12 feet tall is getting to be a bit much for me.

Would the aluminum, if I can find it, be OK up there ?

TapME
12-25-2012, 01:19 PM
I have 2 sections of stove pipe at the very top that aluminum and have never had an issue with it. Most of the heat is gone by then. I don`t know how close to the evaporator you could put it. my stack hight is 14 feet. Hope this helps

Waynehere
12-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Hi Brent,

I noticed that you have an arch with AUF and AOF? I guess I was always under the impression that if you have an airtight arch, assuming yours is of course, and you are inducing draft or pressure into your arch, then you shouldn't need such a high stack to try and get more draft? Maybe I am wrong. I would think you could either build a stack cover on a rope and pulley system or shorten the stack where you can reach to put a cover on it? Tie that sucker down with some guy wires and cover it. My 2 cents.

Wayne

Brent
12-25-2012, 08:57 PM
You're right Wayne. The high stack is to get the fly sparks up away from the garage/tent beside the sugar shack that we keep the wood in.

I had shorter stack originally but we put a lot of holes in the fabric and risked a fire.